reversing camera fitting

eddie889

I have a reversing camera which I intend to fit on my autosleeper executive. The monitor power lead has 3 coloured leads, red, black and blue. i am aware what they are for and i have been told that there is no need to use the blue one, does anyone now the best place to fit these leads ? many thanks in advance

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Eddie.

It might help if you provided details of the make and model of reversing-camera system you have, and also explained your understanding of what each of the monitor’s three cables is for.

I would have thought that the black cable connects to ‘earth’, the red wire connects to a 12V power-supply, and the blue cable is to provide the monitor with a signal to turn it on automatically when reverse-gear is selected. If that’s correct and you don’t want the monitor to switch on automatically when reverse-gear is selected, then the blue cable will be redundant.

Auto-Sleepers has used the “Executive” name twice - initially in the 1990s and early 2000s and, more recently (around 2011?) as a special 50th Anniversary version - so knowing the year of manufacture of your motorhome could be useful.

It would be wise to connect the monitor to an ignition-controllel 12V power-supply, so that the monitor cannot accidentally be left on when the motorhome is not being driven. How best to do this might depend on which “Executive” you have and how comfortable you are with DIY. Connecting to an appropriare fuse-way in the vehicle’s fuse-box would probably be the tidiest approach, and taking power from a dashboard cigarette-lighter socket probably the simplest.

I've just finished installing a reversing camera on our Autoquest 200. The fiddliest bit was running the cables and drilling holes in the body work on the van was a bit scary! However, as long as you don't rush things and be methodical, none of it is technically difficult. In the end it took me the best part of a weekend to finish the whole project.

On our set up the camera and monitor are both connected to the fuse box using a single piggy-back fuse connector

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Piggyback-Blade-Fuse-Holder/dp/B00XLSUNZU

The red wires are connected to the piggy-back fuse connector and the black can be connected to any convenient bolt that screws into the metalwork under the dash. We used a cheap round terminal connector crimped to the end of the black wire for this.

I piggy-backed our installation on to the fuse that serves the radio and hence both the camera and screen are only on when the ignition is on. The camera runs all the time and I just turn the screen on and off when I want it.

You will also have to consider how to power the camera. This will depend on the type of monitor and the associated connectors. If the system uses a 4 pin connector (either Mini DIN of Aviation plug) then the cable between them could carry the video signal and the power.

If the system is based on RCA/Phono connectors you will either have to run an additionnal cable from the monitor to the camera or pickup power for the camera at the rear of the vehicle. Be careful tapping into a lighting circuit as these may be part of the vehicle CAN Bus system.

More information would be useful including the power rating of the camera and monitor.

Archived