reversing camera

jjsbc

Just looking throught the posts and saw the reversing camera posts. I have a swift 2007 the reversing camera imaging is pretty gross (like a fuzzy mess) it takes a lot to discern what is behind you especially looking at the monitor in bright conditions but I think it is not much different as it would have been from new (I have a brand new mitsy rv and its imaging is not too stunning either)

I would like to replace it for something with more definition but it means a lot of running around to find the right gear and thought maybe some one could help with a model I can look at.

I also thought of interfacing a cell phone with a good camera,something cheap and locked to any carrier and interfacing it with a cheap tablet as my monitor "there are ways and means" the definition would be stunning,imagine having an image as good as your cell phones imaging,but thats even more of a fart than trying to find off the shelf gear.

Hope some one can help.

CCD is better definition than CMOS. I have had both and they both worked fine. The CCD variant gives a sharper image in my experience. Neither have the quality of a good Dashcam .... but there again, you don't need that quality when reversing. This happens when these connections are affected because they are attacked by the weather and dirt because they are located in the rear lighting unit and not fully sealed from the elements.

I have recently replaced my old CMOS camera (which had similar symptoms to yours) with a CCD one, it cost £50.

There’s useful advice on reversing cameras here

http://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/buying_advice_for_reversing_cameras.html

My Rapido has a Waeco CAM50 camera displaying on a Pioneer AVH 2700BT double-DIN head unit and the image produced is (after much fiddling with the Pioneer’s settings menu) pretty good. I have the system operating at all times when driving and the camera is adjusted to look backwards not downwards. It needs to be said though that the image is ‘light sensitive’ and is affectd by bright sunlight and (at night) swamped by the headlamps of vehicles approaching from behind.

It’s stating the obvious, but if a monitor is poor quality, buying a super-duper camera won’t provide a miracilous result. And (as 747 says) if the system is only to be used when reversing, how high definition does the image on the monitor really need to be provided that it’s adequate?

There is plenty of on-line advice/discussion/advertising relating to using a phone/tablet as part of a reversing-camera system.

https://tinyurl.com/yarqpl8m

True High Definition reversing cameras are available. Both 720P and 1080P. These cameras operate on the AHD format and are usually connected to a Mobile DVR to record the images. The MDVR converts the video output to either HDMI or Composite Video to display on a suitable monitor. You cannot directly connect an AHD camera to a standard CVBS monitor.

Plenty of devices available to use a WiFi link to display the camera image on your phone.

http://2seetv.co.uk/sellerdeck/WiFi-to-Mobile-Phone-Transmission-Box-128WF.html#SID=13

If you have a low quality camera it will look low quality on a tablet with a larger screen.

CMOS cameras give poor contrast and colour rendition. A reasonable CCD camera and monitor are all that is required for a reversing aid.

The technology is confusing in that IP and AHD cameras use cameras based on 1/3" Progressive Scan CMOS image sensors or similar. These are vastly superior to the low res CMOS sensors.

Archived