semi-traction

KeithR

ive followed the battery orientated threads with interest and now, due to an electrical fault my (not very good) battery discharged to 5.1v, so i guess its shot! and i need to use the advice gleaned on here.

im no expert on power and my motorhome (bailey autograph 730) has no enhanced charging, just what was fitted when i bought it ( new in 2015). ive considered the varta ldf 90 and the yuasa l36-efb, but whilst googgling i came across semi traction. supposedly heavier aand more exxpensive but quoted as a higher quality leisure battery. im not a heavy user of battery power, but like to think i wont have a probleem wwhen iom off hook up for a few days. the battery i saw was an exide (semi-traction) ET650 100ah with a 4 year warranty, for £139.99. i would appreciate comments or advice from those more knowledgeble than i.

after many years off good service from a gel battery in my previous m/home, ive had no luck with 2 batteries on this m/home and would love to be able to relax knowing my power bank is there!!!

:-(

Quite good timing as I have just copy and pasted the below into another post, just 5 minutes ago. The ET650 is rated by us.

Extract from our Battery Technology web page :

The Varta LFD/Bosch L range is our "Best Budget Buy". Guide price £105.

The Yuasa L36-EFB is our "Best Mid range" battery. Guide price £119.

The Exide ET650 is our "Best Buy Heavy Duty" battery, but costs about £160.

The Exide ES900 is our "Best Buy Deep Cycling" battery. Guide price £180. However, the ES900 is a Gel battery so like all Gel's has several disadvantages, one of which is high the cost, but they deliver around 750 cycles at 50% DOD. It is very good at Deep Cycling and has a high number of cycles but they can take twice as long to charge up which can be self defeating as any battery taking longer to charge may only be up to 'Half charge' on the 'Alternator' by the time it is next required.

They also need a special charge profile.

Gel batteries won't reach anywhere near their expected life if operated at higher temperatures (above 20 degrees) or at higher discharge current. Gel's will be a very poor match when paired with Inverters for example.

We think Gel batteries are too compromised for modern motorhome use, but where a special Deep Discharge need is required, little can beat Gel.

Full text here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-technology.php

thanks for that allan, i guess any of those 3 would fit my needs well. i sometimes spend days on hook up (so constantly charging) but also spend a lot of time off hookup, but im only a light user. does constant charge but light usage damage a heavy duty battery?? im starting to favour the yuasa, the semi-traction sounds a bit overkill for my usage. ( although at £139 at alpha batteries its a temptation!)

KeithR - 2019-01-14 2:08 PM

thanks for that allan, i guess any of those 3 would fit my needs well. i sometimes spend days on hook up (so constantly charging) but also spend a lot of time off hookup, but im only a light user. does constant charge but light usage damage a heavy duty battery?? im starting to favour the yuasa, the semi-traction sounds a bit overkill for my usage. ( although at £139 at alpha batteries its a temptation!)

The Exide will tolerant the odd incursion into Deep Discharge territory better than the Yuasa which is better kept above 50% DOD.

All Lead batteries benefit from light use, they will last about 4 times as long if only shallow discharged down to 20% versus Deep discharges down to 80%, even the heaviest duty battery that is designed to Deep Discharge.

Constant charging a battery when it doesn't need charging can be an issue depending on the charger, the Battery, temperature, etc, but if the vehicle is being used, then the battery is also being used so 'needs' charging. Therefore no harm done.

See : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ehu-full-time-yes-or-no.php

Not wanting to start a new thread.

What would be the best replacement for a Banner AGM which has been very good but at 8 years old is past it's best. Needs to be minimum(no) maintenance as it's under the driver seat, and charged by EBL99 and 85w solar.

colin - 2019-01-14 7:58 PM

What would be the best replacement for a Banner AGM which has been very good but at 8 years old is past it's best. Needs to be minimum(no) maintenance as it's under the driver seat, and charged by EBL99 and 85w solar.

If the old battery has been that good I would stick with what works for you?

aandncaravan - 2019-01-14 9:48 PM

colin - 2019-01-14 7:58 PM

If the old battery has been that good I would stick with what works for you?

Whilst I'm tempted to stick with the same, if there's something better I'm happy to go for that, although zero/low maintenance is very important due to lack of access. I'm also after a new cab battery, as that is well past it.

Archived