sikaflex remover

fesspark

Having done this I can assure you it is not easy. The only thing which worked for me was windscreen removal wire. This is a thin braided cable and can be bought cheaply as a kit, with two handles, off ebay. You use it to saw through the adhesive bond but it does take some time if it is a big area.

Tony M - 2017-11-16 7:14 PM

Having done this I can assure you it is not easy. The only thing which worked for me was windscreen removal wire. This is a thin braided cable and can be bought cheaply as a kit, with two handles, off ebay. You use it to saw through the adhesive bond but it does take some time if it is a big area.

IE

CHEESES CUTTING WIRE !!

Not really. Cheese cutting wire is normally single strand smooth wire whereas windscreen removal wire, being multistranded and braided has a ‘sawing’ action. I tried cheese wire first and it was totally ineffective on cured Sikaflex 252.

There is no solvent for this product once cured and mechanical removal is the only option unfortunately.

Tony M - 2017-11-16 7:43 PM

Not really. Cheese cutting wire is normally single strand smooth wire whereas windscreen removal wire, being multistranded and braided has a ‘sawing’ action. I tried cheese wire first and it was totally ineffective on cured Sikaflex 252.

There is no solvent for this product once cured and mechanical removal is the only option unfortunately.

I used cheese wire in the loose (trade) context, you will need a multi strand wire.

A decent reciprocating tool - like a fein, will do a tidy job too.

Lubricant is useful whatever method.

John52 - 2017-11-17 10:50 AM

This is why I use Plumbers Mait.

PS: Its cheaper too :-D

But it is not an adhesive so would need a mechanical fixing as well!

Sikaflex (at least in this instance) is an adhesive so can be used on its own.

Unfortunately they are VERY different products!

Keith.

As I said earlier - use isopropanol or mek to clean up.

Of course if you'd used Plumbers Mait, as suggested by our resident sealant expert John 52, you wouldn't have a removal problem - but that's because it's not an appropriate sealant option in the first place!

Now John, before you get all defensive regarding the amazing sealing properties of good old Plumbers Mait please consider that this is not something that anybody with experience and knowledge in this field would recommend.

fesspark - 2017-11-17 1:21 PM

Keith, I think the price is approx £60.00 inc postage, trouble is I don,t know if a dealer would accept the Van with a plate on its roof Fesspark

First a question, I am assuming the Sika used was the 'Adhesive' variety (ie no mechanical fixings) rather than the 'Sealant' where mechanical fixings would have also been used. Correct?

If they won't accept the Van with the plate on the roof then surely they wouldn't accept it with the remnants of Sikaflex, or even worse damaged fibreglass, on its roof?

I doubt if you will ever be able to completely remove all traces of the Sika from the roof.

I also very much doubt whether isopropanol or mek will be effective against the cured Sika, as has already been suggested mechanical removal will be the only means available.

Keith.

globebuster - 2017-11-17 1:09 PM

Of course if you'd used Plumbers Mait, as suggested by our resident sealant expert John 52, you wouldn't have a removal problem - but that's because it's not an appropriate sealant option in the first place!

Now John, before you get all defensive regarding the amazing sealing properties of good old Plumbers Mait please consider that this is not something that anybody with experience and knowledge in this field would recommend.

Well I have been using Plumbers Mait for many years with 100% success.

But I acknowlege your comment that its 'not an appropriate sealant option'

You know how much I respect your opinion ;-)

After all, you must have used Plumber's Mait much more than I - to have such superior knowlege of it *-)

Keithl - 2017-11-17 11:15 AM

John52 - 2017-11-17 10:50 AM

This is why I use Plumbers Mait.

PS: Its cheaper too :-D

But it is not an adhesive so would need a mechanical fixing as well!

Fair comment yes.

And, outside of factory conditions, I would rather trust a mechanical fixing.

fesspark - 2017-11-16 11:15 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove a base plate of a snipe tv from a motorhome roof that has been sixaflexed down, so the plate can be transferred to another m,home; fesspark

Wouldn't it be easier and better to leave the attachment on , and get a new one for your new van ?

Do people really take parts of vans when selling them?

i was planning to leave everything on ours, ie dome, Tv etc.BUt then we don't intend to buy another van!

PJay

as it is I am leaving a 160 solar Panel ,new 95 extra battery,Awning 4 metre omnistor,and I am not getting the price I was hoping for for a 4 year old Burstner less than 12000miles on the clock so what I can save such as the £600.sat dish is a bonus to me, I have to pay for a 2nd battery, solar panel awning and other extras as it is.My last motorhome that I will purchase is on order. Fesspark What we do for a quiet life.

John52 - 2017-11-17 4:08 PM

globebuster - 2017-11-17 1:09 PM

Well I have been using Plumbers Mait for many years with 100% success.

But I acknowlege your comment that its 'not an appropriate sealant option'

You know how much I respect your opinion ;-)

After all, you must have used Plumber's Mait much more than I - to have such superior knowlege of it *-)

I have very little experience of Plumbers Mait, I can't think of the last time I used it - even within the field it was developed for. It uses some very basic materials to create its working properties

However I do have quite extensive knowledge and experience of PU and indeed silicone products, and have been using Sika since the mid 80's when it was a very expensive option.

Plumbers Mait, is pretty old tech, even within the realms of plumbing these days.

If you're content to use it that's fine, but you should not be encouraging others to follow your example.

People visit this site for advice and to glean useful information (much as you allegedly do) but personal opinion should not be the basis to recommend products that will clearly be used outside of their design limitations.

Is anyone going to get uptight about a smear of Sikaflex bonding product left on a roof, even assuming they go up to find it?

I can't see the issue here and feel most buyers would prefer it simply to be left rather than a failed attempt at removing the residue of the adhesive? There is IMO more chance of doing damage than there is of removing the Sikaflex bonded to the roof.

In many cases would you not simply patch over it to cover/seal any cable entry anyway?

globebuster - 2017-11-17 5:41 PM

I have very little experience of Plumbers Mait, .

Obviously not - but that doesn't stop you pontificating on it does it (lol)

Traditinally used to seal the soil pipe in the back of toilets, but I was once persuaded to use a modern plastic seal instead. It leaked - probably because the toilet is a piece of pottery - not precision machined like something you would use a modern plastic seal on.

So I had to clean up the mess, remove the waste pipe, and refit it with Plumber's Mait. I have never used anything else since, and had no more problems.

Since we trust plumbers mait to stop the contents of our toilets dripping down through the bathroom ceiling to the floors below, why would we not trust it to keep the rain out of the roof?

'Glue' that is suitable to use on a production line, after being tested and used on clean metal in factory conditions, is not necessarily the best product to use on a used van outdoors in DIY. Thats why I would rather trust mechanical fixings - because you have a much better idea how strong a nut and bolt is.

Archived