so lovely to see a m/ h flouting the rules

gp1

We saw a motorhome parked up in the same place two days running where it says no overnight staying. We assume it had been there all night. It was a lovely spot overlooking a lovely bit of coast and beach. They even had their awning out today. We were really envious that they had the guts to do it and also inspired that maybe we could have a go too. There was no mention of a fine and no barriers. Just said no camping. No caravans. No overnight stopping.Not a busy time of year. I said well you could write a lovely poem stopping there for two days or do a painting and earn 500 quid. Then it would be worth bending the rule and even paying a small fine. Been reading about whitby festival motorhomers being clamped down on (except for the marina lot) so theres obviously a few councillors with b and b interests in the area. Anyway i felt it was funny, impressive and why not... a view is such a special thing seeing it last thing at night and first thing in morning. Didnt get the vibe they thought they were taking a risk. Dont think it even occured to them that they were doing anything bad. Could argue that letting some small minded half enforced miniscule little sign stop you from appreciating the spectacular views and scurrying back to a layby incase you get caught is more of a crime against the appreciation of nature.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the same a few weeks ago, big no overnight signs, but when I chatted to them it became clear that it was all perfectly legal, the car park attendant came down to the beach each morning to collect £10.

So Perhaps going over to talk to them might have cleared it up.

Yes i could have done. That would be a good system although if i wasnt expecting it and people were tapping on tbe window at 9 am i might be a bit freaked out. But you have people doing there thing - tai chi on the cliff top. Dog walking. Cycling. Making sand castles. Doing lifeboat drills. Motorhomers just like parking up for a couple of nights. Guess cos they are vehicles with registration plates they are easy to police. But still you have to get a grip and not let your worst fears (being asked to move?) Seem like the end of the world has happened.

Didnt say they had. They might have moved up the road and come back. The point is nobody knows. Its a skill im sure. If they had would they have parked in exactly the same spot? I dont know. When i went to a beach years ago in a van and had never heard of parking restrictions we wouldnt have thought about it. All im saying is its nice to see the human spirit rise above the pettiness of rules which dont actually change. In a fair system the rules would take into account a hundred factors and change according to time place person and intention. Rather than a half arsed blanket ban where every council in the land automatically bans something without even knowing why or caring. Just saying some rules make idiots out of everyone and deny people things which would mean so much to them if they would only be braver.

There were a couple of painters and decorators vans with high tops down there. Just finished a hard days painting and decorating. Also there was a life boat drill with kind of american 4x4 s and police. But what if an ambulance or fire engine needed to get through? Could one camper overstaying by one night be the cause of the failure of emergency services to carry out their duty on such a monumental scale (depending on the catastrophe?).

Basically nowadays you just have to say you did something in error (when it is so blatantly intentional) or totally deny it to get away with anything. Its difficult to look up to people these days. There is is no honour amongst those who govern us.

Gp1, I think from other threads you get a bit upset if you think people aren’t showing you due patience.

So are you not going to respond to the comments above that by “flouting the rules” - particularly by putting awnings out - it just accelerates the arrival of height barriers? I know you’re new to all of this, but believe me, it’s happened in lots of areas.

Solwaybuggier - 2018-07-20 7:00 AM

Gp1, I think from other threads you get a bit upset if you think people aren’t showing you due patience.

So are you not going to respond to the comments above that by “flouting the rules” - particularly by putting awnings out - it just accelerates the arrival of height barriers? I know you’re new to all of this, but believe me, it’s happened in lots of areas.

He is not new to all this as he has a small camper or had a small camper. This really should be in Chatterbox.

In all our many years off off site motorhoming we never once flouted rules or disregarded a sign simply because we didn't like it or we thought we could get away with it.

By all means park up in quiet places, away from anyone's view or homes, but to deliberately disregard clear signs does the cause no good whatsoever and merely increases public and council dislike for motorhomes.

If you really want the freedom to park off site than try France, but even then there are rules and signs and having respect for other people is just as important if you expect their respect for you.

Just because others act in an irresponsible way does not make it right.

John52 - 2018-07-20 11:28 AM

I suspect the one flouting the rules is the council employee who ordered the sign to be put up with no legal backing https://andystrangeway.wordpress.com/category/no-overnight-parking/ - My Hero - wheras those who haven't the b*lls to take on the powerful establishment prefer to whinge on internet forums about those who have. :-S

Do please tell us how you flout the rules and what you personally are doing to get these signs removed as I am wondering whether you are just a keyboard warrior trying to stir others whilst doing nothing yourself?

Am I wrong?

Years ago, near to where I lived, was a council car park where lorries used to park overnight. Then a height barrier was erected and the drivers complained, saying that they had paid the parking fee to the attendant who called every evening. The reply was that it was a free car park and there was no attendant. I wonder what happened if they found out who he was (?) (?) (?)

Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-20 1:43 PM

It would be a shame if you two are going to lock horns like in the bad old days. Both of you have had the boot from this forum in the past and reincarnated yourselves - if you start bickering on this thread I’ll just move it to Chatterbox.

I don't consider replying to a thread as bickering and I respectfully suggest that if you don't like it then don't read or contribute to it unless you have something constructive that relates to the subject to say.

Tracker - 2018-07-20 1:55 PM
Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-20 1:43 PMIt would be a shame if you two are going to lock horns like in the bad old days. Both of you have had the boot from this forum in the past and reincarnated yourselves - if you start bickering on this thread I’ll just move it to Chatterbox.
I don't consider replying to a thread as bickering and I respectfully suggest that if you don't like it then don't read or contribute to it unless you have something constructive that relates to the subject to say.
Come on Tracker, don't be a plonker! 

StuartO - 2018-07-20 2:11 PM
Tracker - 2018-07-20 1:55 PM
Derek Uzzell - 2018-07-20 1:43 PMIt would be a shame if you two are going to lock horns like in the bad old days. Both of you have had the boot from this forum in the past and reincarnated yourselves - if you start bickering on this thread I’ll just move it to Chatterbox.
Come on Tracker, don't be a plonker! 

The forum can always rely on you to stick your oar in without actually contributing anything. B-) B-)

Tracker - 2018-07-20 11:18 AM

In all our many years off off site motorhoming we never once flouted rules or disregarded a sign simply because we didn't like it or we thought we could get away with it.

By all means park up in quiet places, away from anyone's view or homes, but to deliberately disregard clear signs does the cause no good whatsoever and merely increases public and council dislike for motorhomes.

If you really want the freedom to park off site than try France, but even then there are rules and signs and having respect for other people is just as important if you expect their respect for you.

Just because others act in an irresponsible way does not make it right.

Yes Tracker Just like the French do..

Archived