solar panel advice please

After getting great advice from this forum regarding my leisure battery I am hoping someone can help with my solar queries?

Firstly which type? I did some basic research and decided against the ones you stick to your roof but I don't like the idea of drilling holes. Therefore I thought about getting roof bars for my VW T5 which could then support a rigid solar panel. Can this be done? This would then give a gap and allow air to flow below it. ( a good thing I believe?)

Secondly, if I get a rigid one which is best: the poly or mono ones? I want to get a 150W panel but don't know any good brands. one forum member mentioned Photonic.

The other learning points I have gleaned from from this forum and aandncaravan are:

Use aluminium brackets (plastic can break and cause flying solar panels!)

Use skilaflex 292i for anything structural

Buy Votronic MPPT 165 (as recommended by experts on this forum) and a watt meter. I have emailed the New Zealand guy today (as recommended by aandncaravan -- love this website!)

Get solar and the wiring right and your battery will last longer.

So can anyone help please? :-D

The roof rack is probably the best option in your case as it gives you further possibilities (roof box, bike, kayak, skis...).

We made our own rack for the van using alu profiled bars (common in industrial engineering) and it works just fine. There's a photo of it somewhere on this forum.

Type of solar panel (poly/mono) won't matter much but definitely get a rigid one. Look at price/amps when you're shopping. Whatever you buy will likely last longer than the van.

spirou - 2019-05-18 6:41 PM

The roof rack is probably the best option in your case as it gives you further possibilities (roof box, bike, kayak, skis...).

We made our own rack for the van using alu profiled bars (common in industrial engineering) and it works just fine. There's a photo of it somewhere on this forum.

Type of solar panel (poly/mono) won't matter much but definitely get a rigid one. Look at price/amps when you're shopping. Whatever you buy will likely last longer than the van.

Thanks Spirou - I found your photos - looks great!

For a panel van, definitely roof bars are the safest option. But you will still need a hole in the roof for the cables. But one hole is better than multiple ones. If you fix to roof bars use aluminium brackets. If you do this you wont need adhesive just sealant to seal the cable entry..

I purchased a rigid Photonic Universe one and it seems to work well and be of decent quality. You will need a decent controller to get the best out of it though. Votronic seem to be the most respected.

With regards to the Watt meter, I think people get to over concerned with this. If you get a decent controller and a volt meter you can monitor the battery level.

Hope this helps.

wouldbetraveller - 2019-05-18 5:50 PM

Buy Votronic MPPT 165 (as recommended by experts on this forum) and a watt meter. I have emailed the New Zealand guy today (as recommended by aandncaravan -- love this website!)

I've just fitted one. Huge improvement over our faulty NDS regulator/controller. I was also going to order from NZ but I found that Roadpro are now stockists so I bought from them

arthur49 - 2019-05-19 9:20 AM

wouldbetraveller - 2019-05-18 5:50 PM

I've just fitted one. Huge improvement over our faulty NDS regulator/controller. I was also going to order from NZ but I found that Roadpro are now stockists so I bought from them

Thanks - that's good to know

Wasn't Me - 2019-05-18 11:00 PM

For a panel van, definitely roof bars are the safest option. But you will still need a hole in the roof for the cables. But one hole is better than multiple ones. If you fix to roof bars use aluminium brackets. If you do this you wont need adhesive just sealant to seal the cable entry..

I purchased a rigid Photonic Universe one and it seems to work well and be of decent quality. You will need a decent controller to get the best out of it though. Votronic seem to be the most respected.

With regards to the Watt meter, I think people get to over concerned with this. If you get a decent controller and a volt meter you can monitor the battery level.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your advice!

I had a solar panel fitted 6 years ago when the van was bought new. I presume its stuck down. No idea what size but it seems to do the job fine. The van is a LWB and has a side angled tilting roof. I don't see any advantage in allowing air to pass underneath.

At 90 of age years its impossible to lift the roof so I stand on the seats and use my leg power to push up resting my back on the underside of the tilting roof, its not known if the solar panel is a cause of the weight but its heavy. Pulling it down is another hazard as it suddenly drops when passing its balance point so keeping fingers and head clear is important.

I've never had any problems with it and accept that it works. I assume the leisure battery gets maintained by daily use in the winter. I never check whats working ok. I should add I'm not interested in TV or any energy using gadgets. I travel to avoid them all

Will86 - 2019-05-20 2:24 PM

I had a solar panel fitted 6 years ago when the van was bought new. I presume its stuck down. No idea what size but it seems to do the job fine. The van is a LWB and has a side angled tilting roof. I don't see any advantage in allowing air to pass underneath.

At 90 of age years its impossible to lift the roof so I stand on the seats and use my leg power to push up resting my back on the underside of the tilting roof, its not known if the solar panel is a cause of the weight but its heavy. Pulling it down is another hazard as it suddenly drops when passing its balance point so keeping fingers and head clear is important.

I've never had any problems with it and accept that it works. I assume the leisure battery gets maintained by daily use in the winter. I never check whats working ok. I should add I'm not interested in TV or any energy using gadgets. I travel to avoid them all

Thanks Will for your input.

:-)

spirou - 2019-05-18 6:41 PM

Spirou - you mentioned to look for price/amps.

I have seen a renogy 150W panel at £123 with 9.05A short circuit and 8.38A optimum current and a photonic 160W panel at £135 with 8.48A short circuit and 9.02A optimum current. I know absolutely nothing about this so could you tell me which is better with these figures please? Many thanks in advance :-)

Spirou - you mentioned to look for price/amps.

I have seen a renogy 150W panel at £123 with 9.05A short circuit and 8.38A optimum current and a photonic 160W panel at £135 with 8.48A short circuit and 9.02A optimum current. I know absolutely nothing about this so could you tell me which is better with these figures please? Many thanks in advance :-)

meant to say that the photonics comes with 5m cable and mc4 connectors...

On a strictly amp per £ comparison the cheaper/smaller one delivers more but the difference is minimal. A fair comparison would be if everything in the package was equal but it is unclear what you get with both. However, pre-crimped MC4 connectors are probably useless since you need to get the cable through a hole in the roof first. And why leave 5m of cable if all you need is 2 or whatever? Another thing to consider is the size and how it would fit on your roof.

Will, the purpose of an air gap is to prevent overheating as much as possible. Panel output goes down with rising temperature.

spirou - 2019-05-21 4:25 AM

On a strictly amp per £ comparison the cheaper/smaller one delivers more but the difference is minimal. A fair comparison would be if everything in the package was equal but it is unclear what you get with both. However, pre-crimped MC4 connectors are probably useless since you need to get the cable through a hole in the roof first. And why leave 5m of cable if all you need is 2 or whatever? Another thing to consider is the size and how it would fit on your roof.

Will, the purpose of an air gap is to prevent overheating as much as possible. Panel output goes down with rising temperature.

Hi Spirou

they are both about the same area but one is more square and the other rectangular. I think rectangular would be better. I am attaching the panel to roof bars and running the cable along the roof and in through the tailgate hinge blanking grommet. I don't really know how much cable I would need and how expensive it is which would help me decide if the more expensive panel was a better buy. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :-S

Archived