solar panel dilemma

steveandlisa

Hello campers,

My dilemma is this!

I have a roof fitted 60watt solar panel connected to a PCM-3012 solar charge controller 25A connected to the hab battery with a CSB2-CBE coming off for charging the motor battery. I also have another 60watt panel from a previous mo/home never fitted, i just used to prop it up in the front windscreen connected to a "Sunshine Solar " 10amp dual battery controller. I would like to use this panel as a portable back-up for wild camping. I`m thinking so as to save connections and wiring issues I could directly connect straight to the hab battery via the sunshine solar battery controller.

Does anyone see any problems with this set-up or will it be OK?

Regards Steve

I would say it depends on the charging logic of both regulators. Would either effectively shut down when detecting higher voltage at the battery (say one starts earlier in the morning) or would they just continue to go through their phases on a timer? You won't be able to tell without a battery meter. Consider wiring both panels through one of them.

It should work OK. I have two solar panels on my roof. One fitted to the Sargent System using it's own controller and the other one which has its own controller on the back of the panel wired directly to the leisure batteries. both work independently of the other or together depending on what the batteries require. I have 2 Leisure and one Cab battery. I'm of the view the controllers do not see each other but only the battery state and then perform as required. They do not cancel each other out.

You now appear to have two conflicting answers.

I’m no expert, but I suspect both may be correct depending on the circumstances. If the electrics are under light load then the power would be provided by the solar and in such a load condition I’d expect power to come from both of them if it’s required.

If, however, there is no load and the batteries need charging then it may well be that one controller raising the charge voltage to perhaps 14.4v will cause the other controller to determine that the battery is already fully charged. So in essence you’d risk not utilising the solar power of one of the panels.

Perhaps a neater solution would be to ditch the Sunshine Solar regulator and mount a plug in the van that connects to the PCM-3012 and into which you can plug your other 60W solar panel when you wish to use it?

We've just been having such a discussion on fun. Turns out manufacturers offer a coms cable to link up parallel controllers so they coordinate the charge and work together. Some say they will anyway, but it that's the case why do manufacturers make the coms cable?

Our panel controller wouldn't work if something else is charging, I know that for a fact :)

• 5 weeks later...

HI, BruceM

I`ve taken your advice and done away with the Sunshine Solar Regulator and opted to run a second cable from the PCM-3012 in the overhead locker, down to the battery box compartment via a 50amp connector block (I needed this size block so as both sets of cables would fit together and make a secure connection.) One set of the two cables +/- run to the original roof mounted solar panel and the other two +/- running down to the battery box (I`m calling them the auxhilary cables) and end with an off-set female plug. Hopefully if you are correct (and I think you are, and all is well) I should be able to plug in the optional free standing solar panel with an off-set male end as and when required.

PS these are two individual 60watt panels, will the PCM-3012 rated at 25amps be able to cope with this combined power?

Regards Steve

philiptew - 2019-05-19 3:34 PM

It should work OK. I have two solar panels on my roof. One fitted to the Sargent System using it's own controller and the other one which has its own controller on the back of the panel wired directly to the leisure batteries. both work independently of the other or together depending on what the batteries require. I have 2 Leisure and one Cab battery. I'm of the view the controllers do not see each other but only the battery state and then perform as required. They do not cancel each other out.

Philiptew, Some chargers decide on which charging mode to start with based on the voltage they detect at the battery.

If it detects 14.3v as opposed to the 12.9v it is expecting, it obviously won't function correctly. There are many factors to consider, but generally two charger devices charging the same battery bank simultaneously should be matched for optimum results.

Steveandlisa, I note you write that the : " PCM-3012 in the overhead locker", This will be costing you charging power as the Solar regulator should be mounted within 60cm of the batteries to reduce voltage drop, see the Hints and Tips section here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

aandncaravan - 2019-06-20 10:12 AM

philiptew - 2019-05-19 3:34 PM

Philiptew, Some chargers decide on which charging mode to start with based on the voltage they detect at the battery.

If it detects 14.3v as opposed to the 12.9v it is expecting, it obviously won't function correctly. There are many factors to consider, but generally two charger devices charging the same battery bank simultaneously should be matched for optimum results.

Steveandlisa, I note you write that the : " PCM-3012 in the overhead locker", This will be costing you charging power as the Solar regulator should be mounted within 60cm of the batteries to reduce voltage drop, see the Hints and Tips section here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-power.php

It was already fitted in the overhead locker (professionally too by the looks of it) when I bought the Mo/Home. It`s directly right above the battery about 2m of cable.

Archived