staycation

derek pringle

Not me. Spent a couple of weeks in France last month and plan to be there for most of September. I'd be interested to know what you think might encourage people to stay at home. If it's the recent terrorist attacks, the chances must be infinitesimally small, particularly if you avoid large towns and cities, as I imagine most do.

Just back from 8 weeks in Germany (we were there when the referendum result was announced) and are going for another 8 weeks (Belgium, France and Germany) at the start of September. There is more chance of being gassed in the 'van at night than being hurt by ISIS, or other terrorist idiots.

Guest pelmetman
spospe - 2016-07-21 9:40 AM

There is more chance of being gassed in the 'van at night than being hurt by ISIS, or other terrorist idiots.

:D .......

Now where did I leave my Myth thread? :-S .....

Guest pelmetman
derek pringle - 2016-07-21 8:41 AM

Hi ,

I was wondering how many if any of the regular travellers across the channel have decided to stay at home this year for their holidays and what factors have caused them to make this decision. ?

cheers

derek

Cant wait to get across the ditch again, hopefully we'll get over in September, but maybe due to circumstances as late as October :-S .........Then apart from a quick dash back for two weeks at Christmas, we intend to be in Europe until June/July 2017......then back to Blighty for a couple of months for MOT's servicing etc........before we return to Europe........So no ISIS nor BREXIT is putting us off Europe B-) ........

We haven't changed our plans at all and will not even if security causes additional delays for example. - To my mind if we did something different to what we had already planned then these guys are winning, I have no concerns about visiting anywhere on the Continent - and probably the only way I can show my support is to carry on as normal

Saying that Security is an issue so we are not silly, clearly there are probably some areas of the world that it wouldn't be wise to visit, but none on continental Europe, - But these spots are not on our list to visit anyway.

One thing I have come to realise is that I thought I knew the UK quite well having been to many corners of it over the years, but until we plonk our Motorhome on a patch of land, sleep in it, and explore on foot, I realise how little of the UK I have really seen, even places quite close to home, So I see nothing untoward about a planned staycation, there a plenty of bits of the UK to visit but of our choice, - Would very much like to take the motorhome to Ireland at some point having never been there.

No we have not had a staycation this year or for many a year. We like exploring the Continent – the different food, language, currency, scenery, history etc.

We have two Continental trips a year, both lasting several weeks. The first is during spring/early summer for our ‘cultural hit’; it was Poland this year. Then we go to Spain in the autumn – this is unashamedly for sun before we face the British winter.

Our UK trips are usually confined to weekends away to shows, festivals and the like.

We intend to re-discover the UK when I no longer want to drive the thousands of miles required to explore Europe.

Cattwg :-D

starvin marvin - 2016-07-21 2:13 PM

Why would you want to stay in this country when you have the means to travel abroad. Looking forward to our next trip to the Caribbean and US, followed by a winter trip under the ditch. Bring it on.

We certainly have the means to travel anywhere we want to. Only 2 things prevent it.

1) - I never want to see another Airport as long as I live.

2) - I happily binned my Passport (the last of many I filled over the years).

I did all my travelling all over the World and got my adventures in while young and fit. We had holidays in far flung places (anything you need to know about Barbados, just ask). We have been charged by Elephants, stoned by local black people. I have been shot at (several times), pursued by Snakes and Nile Crocs, had a very bad bout of Malaria, had emergency aircraft landings in the Bush, flown on ancient Boeing 727s filled to the gunwales with diesel fuel that landed on dirt runways in the back of beyond.

So, travelling Europe would not feel like a big adventure (I have worked in most of Western Europe and Iron Curtain Countries). I am very happy to tootle around the UK (a Country I have not seen much of). So you see, everyone has a different idea of what constitutes risk and happiness. They work out what suits them best.

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2016-07-21 7:49 PM

We have been charged by Elephants, stoned by local black people. I have been shot at (several times), pursued by Snakes and Nile Crocs,

Yeah I've been to Newcastle on a Saturday night too 8-) ........

pelmetman - 2016-07-21 7:59 PM

747 - 2016-07-21 7:49 PM

We have been charged by Elephants, stoned by local black people. I have been shot at (several times), pursued by Snakes and Nile Crocs,

Yeah I've been to Newcastle on a Saturday night too 8-) ........

I didn't know there was a CC Site in Newcastle? 8-)

I believe you were once attacked by a Mackerel while in the RN. :-(

We laugh in the face of danger don't we. :D

Guest pelmetman
Len Salisbury - 2016-07-22 9:57 AM

We are off to Spain in 15 minutes overnighting in Dover and 0735 departure to Calais in the morning.

July/August in Spain? 8-) 8-) 8-) ............

Wouldn't even consider stopping over here in preference to across the channel. Still cheaper, still more motorhome friendly, still get more Euro to the pound than two years ago. Had to delay our first trip this year four times but we are going out Sunday, must say not looking forward to the 'brats' this time of the year but I believe we know where we can miss them, go again in September, then Spain in October.

Bas

Guest pelmetman
globebuster - 2016-07-22 8:25 PM

Brats?

Not sure what you mean by that.......

You've led a sheltered life then :D ...........

Have you never had the joy of someones else's progeny bouncing their ball off your camper? *-) .........

My life has hardly been sheltered Dave 8-)

But 'brats' is a bit harsh, I'm not exactly what you'd call tolerant, but all too easy to forget we were kids once.

And all too easy to tar all the younger ones with the same brush.

Having said that, I had a ball 'incident' recently in France, but I've perfected a 'psycho nutter' facial expression, which seems to have the desired effect across all nationalities....

Guest pelmetman
globebuster - 2016-07-22 9:58 PM

My life has hardly been sheltered Dave 8-)

But 'brats' is a bit harsh, I'm not exactly what you'd call tolerant, but all too easy to forget we were kids once.

And all too easy to tar all the younger ones with the same brush.

Having said that, I had a ball 'incident' recently in France, but I've perfected a 'psycho nutter' facial expression, which seems to have the desired effect across all nationalities....

Yes your right there are a few nice brats out there :D ......

Unfortunately the few are often tarred by the many in the season 8-) ........

Which is why we have always tried to avoid the high season if we can, or book adult only sites which are often over run with teachers or ex teachers .........cant think why that might be (lol) ......

hi all,

It seems as far as this forum is concerned that it will be business as usual, makes you wonder where the media get their information from.

The queue on Lorachmors reply does seem a bit off-putting I must say.I wde were able to carry on our usual routine I think my wife and I would be heading to France again this year.

cheers

derek

p.s. 747- you sound a very interesting man to sit and have a beer with and learn more of your exploits.

derek pringle - 2016-07-24 8:34 AM

hi all,

It seems as far as this forum is concerned that it will be business as usual, makes you wonder where the media get their information from.

The queue on Lorachmors reply does seem a bit off-putting I must say.I wde were able to carry on our usual routine I think my wife and I would be heading to France again this year.

cheers

derek

p.s. 747- you sound a very interesting man to sit and have a beer with and learn more of your exploits.

When you write it down, it does sound a bit Crocodile Dundee-ish. :$

It was mostly boring with a few seconds of terror now and again. :D

So if you want to be bored listening to the life and times of an idiot, we will be at the Far Forest C&CC THS from tomorrow. BTW, we have had a week at the THS at Riverside Park, Bridgnorth and I heartily recommend the site. Bridgnorth is also a lovely Town with lots to see.

747 - 2016-07-24 10:17 AM

derek pringle - 2016-07-24 8:34 AM

hi all,

cheers

derek

When you write it down, it does sound a bit Crocodile Dundee-ish. :$

It was mostly boring with a few seconds of terror now and again. :D

So if you want to be bored listening to the life and times of an idiot, we will be at the Far Forest C&CC THS from tomorrow. BTW, we have had a week at the THS at Riverside Park, Bridgnorth and I heartily recommend the site. Bridgnorth is also a lovely Town with lots to see.

hi,

sounds great but unfortunately grounded at the moment nursing sick/elderly mum in law

good luck

derek

Archived