the question do jour :D

lesleykaren

One of the main advantages of a tag axle is the firmness and steadiness of the ride. My previous coachbuilt used to waggle like crazy if a big wagon went past or I was overtaking. Now we are a steady as a rock! Similarly on exposed motorways, bridges, etc. No sudden lurch to the side when the wind blows. It is easier driving......maybe it is just the extra payload keeping us steady (especially on way back from Europe!!) ?

Our last MH had a tag axle.  I can endorse the positive comments above about stability on motorways when coaches and lorries pass or vice versa, it was much less yaw-making from their bow wave.  Our tag MH had more payload compared with others of its time too and that was a certainly positive feature; I never bothered to worry about weight at all.

No disadvantages in terms of driving (other than because it was a long MH) although of course the tag axle did scrub on tight corners.  No noticeable impact on tyre wear.

The only negative was the extra charge for French motorway tolls - which are much more expensive because a tag axle puts you into Class 4, the same as a big articulated lorry.  About double the charge for Class 2 as I recall!  I used to avoid French toll motorways like the plague because of this.

Not sure why but we found ourselves unable to turn left when exiting a field towing a horse box (which had carried a load of plastic chairs to a music event in the grounds of a big house) and we had to turn right instead, leaving the site via the back lane.  This involved transit through farmyards and along farm tracks but we made it - with eight drunken passengers on board too!  The interior light of the horse box had been left on and every so often someone would say "I'm sure we're being followed".  It was a good hour and about 0130 when we found a tarmac road, which was celebrated by stopping so that all the blokes could get out for a pee into the hedge.  Still no idea why it didn't like turning left with that horse box on the back; presumably something to do with the horse box.

Our tag axle MH, a 1990 Hymer B694, was a fabulous piece of kit.

Fundamentally adding an additional axle is about gaining additional payload. and additional space. As has already mentioned there are lots of pros and cons.

Weather its what you want/ need is down to your priorities.

We are minimalist campers. who like travelling so a reasonably handy vehicle that can usually find a parking space and has good traction off tarmac,a comfortable bed that packs away during the day and sensible shower and toilet are top of the list so I would never consider having one

If all the comforts of home are top priority why bother travelling.

Its a good job we don't all want the same thing.

As already said, the main advantages compared to smaller vans are more internal space and a higher payload, plus greater stability. The disadvantages are those extra tyres, the increased length and correspondingly larger turning circle, the greater number of weight restrictions one will encounter, parking difficulties, and the fact that only the front wheels are driven, so increased front tyre wear, greater traction difficulties on slippery surfaces, and also higher fuel consumption.

If you want a van that size you would IMO be better off on a rear wheel drive chassis, possibly with twin rear wheels, originally built to run at 4 - 5 tonnes or more, rather than on a bolt-on AlKo chassis that results in the vehicle running permanently near the limits of its drive-train design. However, that takes you into vehicles built on Mercedes or IVECO chassis (or MAN if you get really carried away! :-)), where the prices rise very sharply.

In the end it's horses for courses - and budgets, of course. :-)

Robbo - 2016-07-22 6:24 PMTwin axle Caravans are sometimes banned from campsites because they are more likely to churn up the grass.Campsite owners may apply the same rules for tag axle MH's. Any tag axle owners had this problem?

The real reason for banning twin axle caravans is that they are the bigger ones and it's a way of turning away Travellers, nothing at all to do with churning up the ground.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2016-07-22 7:19 PMThe real reason for banning twin axle caravans is that they are the bigger ones and it's a way of turning away Travellers, nothing at all to do with churning up the ground.

Maybe that's why they're appear to be changing to Moho's 8-) ............

Archived