timing belt

KeithR

when i bought my new peugeot based motorhome in 2015, i worked on the assumption that it was a sevel and so the same as my previous fiat. with that in mind, and having browsed the forum on timing belts, i asked my dealer on my recent service what they recommended as the interval for changing the timing belt. i was amazed when he said it was a chain not a belt so wouldnt need changing??

i then rsaw (in the engine block or registration book) the word Ford!

i dont disbelieve what the engineer said, but it has left me confused (easily done).

so can you knowledgeable folk assure me that i have a ford engine, with a lovely chain????.

In the interim waiting for informed knowledge and applying a bit of lateral thinking.

If the alternator belt is visible plus there is a plastic timing belt cover, then that more or less indicates it would be a belt as that is not oil tight for a chain.

Conversely, if there is a cast alloy or similar housing it pretty much indicates there is a chain in there.

Just a thought?

Knowing the agony once with a Merc cam drive chain, I don't share the view that they assure a problem free life!

Yes, you have Ford PUMA 2198cc engine as fitted to Transits and many other vehicles such as the Land Rover Defender.

There is no maintenance schedule for the timing chain and neither can it easily be inspected as it runs in an oil spray/bath behind a cover. They don't have a reputation for breaking although doubtless some have. All you can really do is try and detect if the chain should become noisy or, I suppose, have everything (chain, sprockets and tensioner) changed anyway at a mileage to suit yourself.

This Ford engine has been fitted to all X250 and X290 Boxers and Relays from c. 2007 up until the end of the Euro5 vans in 2016, after which PSA's own 2.0L BlueHDi powerplant has been used in various states of tune.

It’s perhaps worth adding that, besides it not being practicable during ‘servicing’ to inspect the condition of the timing-chain of the Ford-derived “Puma” 2.2litre motor fitted to Citroen Relays, Peugeot Boxers and Fiat Ducatos, just accessing the chain - never mind replacing it - is a major task.

The motors fitted to current-model Euro 6 Relays, Boxers, Ducatos and Transits all now have timing-belts.

Archived