truma boiler trouble lighting up

frank shepherd

In my Flash 08 the truma boiler is intermittent with its operation...it tries to fire up most times...clicks several times then clicks off leaving the red light on. Help please all other gas appliances work every time no problem sometimes I can operate the boiler 1st time then after that it requires many goes to re-light it

Your problem could be caused by a restriction in the gas regulator (gummed up) or low gas pressure.

The gas demand by the boiler is much greater than any of the other gas appliances.

Do you have refillable gas cylinders? If so, do you mainly fill up in mainland Europe? This can produce low gas pressure because of the higher butane content.

Assuming your van is now 9 years old (Flash 08), I would first check the gas regulator. A MH dealer could carry out a pressure test for you.

However, first check all the gas connections in the gas locker for possible leaks. This can be done by mixing up a solution of washing up liquid with water and using an artist's paint brush to apply to the joints (with the system pressurised). If bubbles start appearing, then you've got a leak.

Best to check the obvious first, before suspecting problems with the internal workings of the boiler.

Thanks for prompt response .no, not refillable cylinders, had the MH for 10 mths . When preped by dealer for us, had a dual gas cylinder system fitted. They put a "new" regulator on . No problems at all until March this year after draining down etc...worked fine for a couple of trips and then this problem occured. I have put up with it but now it's a pain. Problem started just out of warranty! My suspicions are the 'gummed up " regulator though other gas appliances, fridge, cooker & grill work fine...there is sometimes a slight smell of gas when I open up locker door to gas compartment but I put that down to enclosed area. Presumably there should be no smell at all, there is no smell in MH.!

Frank

I believe your Chausson is a 2006 model and will be as described here

http://tinyurl.com/yah4nugr

As Robbo advises, check the obvious first (regulator, leaks etc.) Even if there is a SLIGHT gassy smell in the gas-locker sometimes when you open the locker-door, I doubt that will be significant as far as the Truma heater failing to relight reliably is concerned - but check for leaks anyway.

Hopefully the cause of the problem is extermal to the Truma C-series ‘combination’ heater (eg. a failing regulator) though I had a similar problem with a C-series heater in the early 2000s where getting it to light/relight on gas became increasingly difficult until it would not light at all.

Dismantling the heater (no more than 3 years old at the time) revealed that the ceramic insulation of the gas igniters had cracked and the sparks that should have lit the gas were initially being produced more and more sporadically as the cracking worsened, and finally stopped being produced. I recall that Truma(UK) - that replaced the igniters - were unsurprised by the cracking, suggesting that it was not that unusual.

Hi

We had the exact same problem on our Flash 04. The issue turned out to be unseen condensation on the printed circuit board inside the boiler enclosure. To get at this PCB switch off the power and gas and remove the triangular shaped cover and unplug the printed circuit board and remove it. It will most likely look OK but in ours the moisture had permeated under the components of the PCB and the attempts to start the boiler caused the high voltage generated for the igniter to track via the moisture to the control circuits.

To solve it i had to remove the PCB and dry it out thoroughly **that is not a quick wipe or spray**. leave it in a warm place for 24 - 48 hours. then locate the igniter output connections on the transformer (this is fixed onto on the PCB the lower of the connections) which in turn connect to the igniter plug and socket at the bottom of the PCB, and either paint the unprotected solder joints with circuit board paint (nail varnish would do) or cover the with hot melt glue to hep prevent further tracking.

Several years on the fault has not re-appeared.

Remember a quick drying out will not suffice i suppose a hair dryer might accelerate the drying process.

Hope this helps

Dave

thanks for the help and also the 'link' I recall when my wife and I first discovered this moho for sale we went on internet and found exactly this article to read before we bought! We have been, overall, very satisfied with the choice we made.

That aside the info offered seems plausible & sound and I had thought about the options of solutions advised to me...I am going to try all these and see if there is any difference. Naturally when one doesn't know the exact cause of a particular fault, it makes sense to try the lowest possible cost/effort solution first. In the end though , as I have said, it's becoming annoying now and needs sorting...Here's hoping a solution found soon proves to be a cure of the more permanent type!

Colin, I take it you mean back of control switch that faces on the back of the panel, inside the wardrobe. It does seem to have a rather poor fitting 'cover' over it...many very narrow leads to fit into the multi connector there! I will try it of course...seems bizarre that a 'wiggle' may fix it..but of course not unheard of in this strange moho world we live in!

Archived