tyre pressures

john boy

John Boy

There is probably a reference to tyre inflation pressures in the “IDENTIFICATION MARKINGS” section of your Peugeot Boxer handbook. This may well not give you specific pressure recommendations, but should tell you where on the vehicle the recommended figures can be found.

Look for a ‘sticker’ on one of the cab “C”-pillars (ie the pillar next to the door’s lock).

For 215/70 R15CP tyres I’d expect the recommended pressures to be 5.0bar(72psi) and 5.5bar(80psi) for front and rear tyres respectively.

It might not be so simple Derek.

I bought a new Autoquest 120, (56 reg) and had great difficulty finding suitable pressures. Back then, Elddis were absolutely atrocious about customer care. They did not even have an email address for contact and it was impossible to get past the switchboard operator (which is why I have never bought another one). I did find a reference to a pressure of 43 psi, which proved to be far too low and may have been the pressure for a MWB Boxer van (the base vehicle).

I eventually weighed it and got the pressures from Michelin. I forget their exact figures but I ran it at 55 psi front and 50 psi rear.

Your figures above are not good advice to follow as 80 psi in the tyres makes for extremely bad roadholding and cornering (not to mention loosening your fillings). :D

Newer variants may be much different to 56 reg models but I would think the tyre pressures would not be hugely different.

The Elddis Suntor 120 model was built on two different Peugeot Boxer chassis. John has not said when his motorhome was built, but in all cases I’d expect the Peugeot handbook to include a reference to where an owner might find recommended tyre-pressure figures.

Equivalent Fiat Ducato handbooks give 5.0bar(72psi) and 5.5bar(80psi) as the recommended pressures for front and rear tyres respectively for 215/70 R15CP tyres factory-fitted to ‘recreational’ vehicles. Those pressure recommendations go right back to when that size of ‘camping-car’ tyre was first fitted to motorhomes and the the Fiat “C”-pillar sticker on my 2015 Rapido 640F (that has 215/70 R15CP tyres) repeats that advice. Consequently, I’d expect a Boxer sticker to carry the same pressure values.

I’m not advising John (or anyone else) to use 72psi/80psi pressures, but unless John has his motorhome weighed in fullly loaded state so that front and rear tyre pressures can be matched to real-world axle loadings, it’s better that he adhere to ’sticker’ pressures rather than just do what other people say they do.

I've run the recommended 72psi/80psi pressures on my Rapido and, although this resulted in a firm ride on rough roads, roadholding, cornering and braking were fine.

Armstrong2 - 2017-02-12 8:17 PM

I have the elddis 100.With same tyres.I put 65psi in the front tyres and 60psi in the rear tyres

To further illustrate Derek's point, these pressures are approximately equal to 4.5 bar front and 4 bar rear.

Can't quote for Michelin, but Continental's recommended maximum load per axle for the same 215/70 R 15 CP tyre, at the same pressures, are 1,975kg front axle and 1,595kg rear.

The question that arises is, are these axle loads appropriate to john boy's van with a MAM (at least those I have looked up), of only 3,000kg, as he loads it? The front may possibly be close, but the rear looks suspiciously light for a laden van, especially if four passengers are being carried.

It should be noted that Michelin will only recommend 5.5 bar rear tyre pressures on a CP rated 215/70 R 15 CP tyre, even if weighbridge figures are quoted.

First visit weighbridge with fully laden van and get the individual axle loads, then consult the tyre manufacturer for his recommended pressures at those loads. Anything else risks running the tyres under inflated, which in turn risks overheating and subsequent blow out.

There are tyre pressure tables in relation to axle loads But that is not workable in practice. At 1950 kg on the rear for the 15 inch you have inclination of 3mm in the right height. just look at your tire to have a nice foot print and adjust accordingly. The above is used by the air suspension guys to set their right height on fiat light. The air spring bellow is than 5cm out at 3.5 barg airpressure.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-02-14 4:37 PM

There are tyre pressure tables in relation to axle loads But that is not workable in practice. At 1950 kg on the rear for the 15 inch you have inclination of 3mm in the right height. just look at your tire to have a nice foot print and adjust accordingly. The above is used by the air suspension guys to set their right height on fiat light. The air spring bellow is than 5cm out at 3.5 barg airpressure.

Monique, this was about tyre pressures, not air-ride suspension pressures. It would be very unwise to try to set tyre pressures by eye, as you seem to be suggesting. The tables in relation to axle loads are perfectly workable, but you first have to know the axle loads with the van fully laden. There must be weighbridges accessible by the public in Belgium?

Having read copious threads on different forums on this matter let me add my experiences in to the mix.

I have an Elddis Accordo 135 2016 model based on a Peugeot Boxer van.I recently had a tyre warning come up on the dash after only traveling 130 miles from new.The warning indicated rear right tyre under pressure so I pulled over and checked all the tyres.The other three were at 70 PSI but the offending tyre was at 69 PSI .The label on the door pillar indicates the front should be 72 PSI and the rear 79 PSI so obviously the tyres had been set by the dealer before I picked the van up.I remember being told that I didn't needs to have the tyres at the recommended pressure by a guy at the dealership.

As the Continental tyres fitted, (215/70 R5C 109 CP) state a max pressure of 69PSI I contacted Continental who said that that figure was for the American market but the tyre pressures for the Max axle weights of my van should be 58 PSI max weight front 1750Kg and 72.7 PSI max weight rear of 1900 Kg.

I have since been in contact with the dealer,the manufacturer and Peugeot who are religiously sticking to their figures of 72 PSI front and 79 PSI rear.I have asked to be told the threshold setting on the TPMS and if they would consider adjusting it .In all cases my request have been met with negative responses.When I asked if Peugeot or Elddis gave any credence to the Continental figures they seemed to think they were irrelevant.

Due to family illness I have yet to use the motor home and the tyre pressures quoted are for maximum axle weights which I would not come anywhere near at the moment with no equipment loaded.

The TPMS on all the SEVEL based vehicles is fixed in the ECU and there is a reluctance by the dealers to interfere with this setting.Also having spoken to my nearest Peugeot dealer on this matter there seems to be a certain amount of ignorance as to what it is especially when I ask what the threshold setting are before giving a warning.

Brian if for every trip you pass the weigh bridges is one bridge to far. Are their good so called plates to use at home? The goldschmitt remote control can read out the axle loads and also the x-y positions in degrees how you are standing diagonal. Still can not make a decision between GS or AL-Ko. I learned from you the importance. Anyway we are now whit three members in our club having a highframe alko chassis which is visible from the outside because of the unused lower part of the fiat interface. The adria sonic supreme uses this chassis. We are now looking for a owner of this type who had the option of alko premium X2 air suspension fitted to his rear axle or axles. And like to share his experience whit us and some pictures of it. To support us. A combination of it whit auto standing foots is also welcome.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-02-15 3:04 PM

Brian if for every trip you pass the weigh bridges is one bridge to far. their good so called plates to use at home? ...................

No, not every trip, Monique. Our travel load is fairly constant, I have weighed our van twice; once when empty, and once when full. I then verify those loads using a spreadsheet, in which all loads are entered along with their position relative to the rear axle. This calculates the front and rear axle loads, and I verify this against the weighbridge operators paperwork. If the vehicle is weighed in a fully laden state, with all reservoirs full, any variation in the actual laden weight of the vehicle while in use will be a reduction. I then set tyre pressures for the actual laden weight on each axle, and do not vary them further. This results in very slight over-inflation most of the time, and never under-inflation.

Donkeyote53 - 2017-02-15 2:24 PM

Having read copious threads on different forums on this matter let me add my experiences in to the mix.

I have an Elddis Accordo 135 2016 model based on a Peugeot Boxer van.I recently had a tyre warning come up on the dash after only traveling 130 miles from new.The warning indicated rear right tyre under pressure so I pulled over and checked all the tyres.The other three were at 70 PSI but the offending tyre was at 69 PSI .The label on the door pillar indicates the front should be 72 PSI and the rear 79 PSI so obviously the tyres had been set by the dealer before I picked the van up.I remember being told that I didn't needs to have the tyres at the recommended pressure by a guy at the dealership.

As the Continental tyres fitted, (215/70 R5C 109 CP) state a max pressure of 69PSI I contacted Continental who said that that figure was for the American market but the tyre pressures for the Max axle weights of my van should be 58 PSI max weight front 1750Kg and 72.7 PSI max weight rear of 1900 Kg.

I have since been in contact with the dealer,the manufacturer and Peugeot who are religiously sticking to their figures of 72 PSI front and 79 PSI rear.I have asked to be told the threshold setting on the TPMS and if they would consider adjusting it .In all cases my request have been met with negative responses.When I asked if Peugeot or Elddis gave any credence to the Continental figures they seemed to think they were irrelevant.

Due to family illness I have yet to use the motor home and the tyre pressures quoted are for maximum axle weights which I would not come anywhere near at the moment with no equipment loaded.

The TPMS on all the SEVEL based vehicles is fixed in the ECU and there is a reluctance by the dealers to interfere with this setting.Also having spoken to my nearest Peugeot dealer on this matter there seems to be a certain amount of ignorance as to what it is especially when I ask what the threshold setting are before giving a warning.

Welcome to the OUt&AboutLive forums.

The following earlier forum threads mention the TPMS system fitted to a recent Peugeot Boxer-based motorhome (a Bailey owned by forum-member “Steve928”)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/More-TPMS-fun-games/43610/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/TPMS-and-the-spare-wheel/43157/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X290-tyre-pressure-reset-/40276/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/New-Ducato/37504/

This ASOF discussion also refers

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t14872-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms

Inflation-pressures for 215/70 R15CP ‘camping-car’ tyres fitted to Fiat/Peugeot motorhomes are commonly given by Fiat/Peugeot (and/or by the motorhome converter) as 5.0bar/72.5psi and 5.5bar/80psi for (respectively) the motorhome’s front and rear axle(s) and this will be the case irrespective of the motorhome’s design, size or weight.

Although Continental’s VancoCamper 215/70 R15CP tyre has on its sidewall an indication that its maximum design load of 1030kg (which its Load Index of 109 equates to) can be met by an inflation pressure of 69psi, the Technical Databook (example here)

https://www.conti.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Technical-Databook-car-4x4-van-2014-2015-EN.pdf

shows that a pressure of 5.5bar is appropriate when that tyre is used on a ‘single wheel’ rear axle at a load of 2060kg (ie. 2 x 1030kg). As you were advised by Continental the 69psi datum you refer to applies to the USA market (and to Canada and Israel too).

According to Continental’s Data Handbook, for axle-loadings of 1750kg (front) and 1900kg (rear) inflation-pressures of approximaterly 56psi and 64psi respectively could be safely used. Continental (nor any other tyre manufacturer) will not authorise you to employ those pressures if they conflict with your vehicle-manufacturer’s advice (in your case, the pressures given on the door-pillar’s label) - the data are available on-line (in the Data Handbook) and it will be up to you what you do with the information.

You’ll see from Steve928’s comments in the links I gave above that the TPMS system on his Boxer a) was apparently not operating correctly to begin with and b) could be reprogrammed to match the pressures he had decided to use.

I’m not aware what the percentage ‘drop’ in pressure the Boxer TPMS system tolerates before an alarm is produced but, assuming that the pressures programmed into the vehicle’s ECU when your motorhome was built were 72.5psi (front) and 80psi (rear), a reduction from 80psi to 69psi on a rear tyre MIGHT be enough to trigger the TPMS.

The UK motorcaravanning community has had a long history of reducing the vehicle-manufacturer’s advised tyre inflation-pressures to match axle loadings and produce a softer ride. Some TPMS systems have the capability to be driver-reprogrammed so that they can tolerate the revised pressures, but the Fiat/Peugeot TPMS system lacks that facility.

Realistically, your options are either to use the pressures that your Boxer’s ECU is set to (presumably 72.5psi/80psi) or choose the pressures you want to use and have the system reprogrammed (which is unlikely to be done free of charge).

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-13 2:18 PM

I’m not advising John (or anyone else) to use 72psi/80psi pressures, but unless John has his motorhome weighed in fullly loaded state so that front and rear tyre pressures can be matched to real-world axle loadings, it’s better that he adhere to ’sticker’ pressures rather than just do what other people say they do.

I run the recommended 72psi/80psi pressures on my Rapido and, although this results in a firm ride on rough roads, roadholding, cornering and braking are fine.

I think it would be better to suggest that the op gets his mh weighed and bases his tyre pressures on real world info.

And I'm amazed that you can admit to using such high pressures: unless your van is extraordinarily heavy.

Just out of interest Derek, how many do you have ( axles of course ) and what are weights?

Regards,

Alan b

john boy - 2017-02-15 10:12 PM

Thanks guy's, bye the way its on a 58 plate registered in january 2009.

regards John

Hi john boy;

So is the van fitted with a TPMS system?

Could help a lot to know that.

Maybe also worth avoiding a non-adjustable system?

Regards

Alan b

snowie - 2017-02-19 8:10 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-02-13 2:18 PM

I run the recommended 72psi/80psi pressures on my Rapido and, although this results in a firm ride on rough roads, roadholding, cornering and braking are fine.

I think it would be better to suggest that the op gets his mh weighed and bases his tyre pressures on real world info.

And I'm amazed that you can admit to using such high pressures: unless your van is extraordinarily heavy.

Just out of interest Derek, how many do you have ( axles of course ) and what are weights?

Regards,

Alan b

John Boy’s 2008-built Peugeot Boxer-based motorhome has 215/70 R15CP tyres. If the motorhome were Fiat-Ducato-based, its Owner Handbook would include tyre inflation-pressure advice and - for models with 215/70 R15CP tyres - the advice would be to use 5.0bar/72.5psi and 5.5bar/80psi for respectively the front and rear tyres. Those pressure values will be repeated on a sticker on a cab door-pillar.

The Peugeot Boxer handbook is less informative and I assume tyre-pressure advice is not included in the Elddis handbook, but I’d expect there to be a sticker/plate on John Boy’s motorhome somewhere and the likelihood is that this will carry the 5.0bar/72.5psi (front) and 5.5bar/80psi (rear) recommendations.

If Peugeot and/or Elddis specify the 5.0bar/72.5psi and 5.5bar/80psi pressures, then those must be considered the ‘correct’ pressures as far as I’m concerned. They may well not be optimum pressures, but at least they would have some authority and (as I said above) it would be sensible for a motorcaravanner to use those ‘correct’ tyre-pressures until the motorhome can be weighed fully-loaded and its axle-loadings matched to the tyre manufacturer’s figures so that more ‘appropriate’ pressures can be identified. Surely that’s preferable to me saying to John Boy something like “My motorhome has 215/70 R15CP tyres and I use 40psi for the front tyres and 50psi for the rear tyres” , or 55psi(F) and 75psi® or any other combination of pressures when I own a completely different motorhome to him and I don’t know what his motorhome’s fully-loaded axle-weights are?

I don’t understand why you should be amazed that I’ve admitted to using “such high pressures” as the 72.5psi(F) and 80psi® pressures are those advised by the vehicle manufacturer. Why would you think I should not admit to it as it’s a simple fact? Although those pressures resulted in my Rapido having a firm ride on rough roads, the ride was otherwise acceptable. If I feel a need to to reduce those pressures I’ll weigh the motorhome and decide how much reduction I want to make.

Details of a Rapido 640F like mine are here

http://www.thompsonleisure.com/motorhomes-for-sale/rapido-640f/2925/

All motorhomes with 215/70 R15CP tyres have just two axles.

This is a very informative thread.

We collected our new van in Sep-16 and it was delivered with 5.0bar on each corner. I then checked the manual to find that the rear tyres should be 5.5bar respectively.

This vehicle was PDI'd prior to our handover so was the dealer wrong in the setting of its tyre pressures or was it just a case where they thought 5.0bar would be best.

I've since inflated the rear tyres to 5.5bar as the manufacturers must stipulate it for a reason.

Regards,

Andrew

I have a lot of sympathy with you, and if it were my van I would remove all of the TPMS senders from the wheels, as i hate being forced to run my vehicle with overinflated tyres.

IMHO TPMS systems should be owner settable, or at least easily re-settable.

Sorry Derek but i just dont agree with you.

I should add that if i removed the factory fit TPMS system, i would replace it with an after market system that WAS owner resettable

I have since been in contact with the dealer,the manufacturer and Peugeot who are religiously sticking to their figures of 72 PSI front and 79 PSI rear.I have asked to be told the threshold setting on the TPMS and if they would consider adjusting it .In all cases my request have been met with negative responses.

Don't give up because you will find a Peugeot dealer willing to change the TPMS trigger values for you. Some don't know how to, some won't (as you say) stray from the sticker values whilst others will happily take your money. Just keep phoning around.

Half an hour's labour seems to be the going rate, so £50 to £60.

Rayjsj - 2017-02-20 9:22 AM

...if it were my van I would remove all of the TPMS senders from the wheels, as i hate being forced to run my vehicle with overinflated tyres.

IMHO TPMS systems should be owner settable, or at least easily re-settable.

Sorry Derek but i just dont agree with you.

I should add that if i removed the factory fit TPMS system, i would replace it with an after market system that WAS owner resettable

The probable effects of removing the TPMS transmitters from the wheels of a Boxer/Ducato were discussed here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X290-tyre-pressure-reset-/40276/

when I opined that doing this would trigger the receiver side of the TPMS which would then continuously issue a visual warning-message on the dashboard display together with an audible warning.

Although (as Steve928 says) it is possible to reprogram a Boxer’s TPMS if a motorhome owner decides to use tyre inflation pressures that are significantly lower than those input into the vehicle’s TPMS originally (or if a motorhome converter specifies inflation pressures that are lower than the Peugeot/Fiat factory-input values) I’ve not seen anything to confirm that a similar thing can be (or has been) done for Ducatos.

As a TPMS is safety-related, vehicle manufacturers should not be expected to include the capability for the system to be disabled by the driver, or to authorise a garage to disable the system. Some TPMS systems can be ‘reprogrammed’ by a driver, but other systems cannot - the Boxer/Ducato systems are in the latter category.

Received from Continental after I asked about the correct pressures for my tyres: I attach an image showing that recommended pressures are much lower than that recommended by the chassis manufacturer who has to take into account that the Fiat Maxi chassis may well be plated well above the 3500 kg used by campervans and could be carrying very heavy loads.

'Thank you for your email and I completely understand your concern.

It is extremely likely that the relevant information supplied with the chassis is documented for use as a commercial vehicle, therefore proposed before the conversion to a motor home. For this reason, Continental tyres would always recommend having the motor home weighed on a weigh bridge at your heaviest travelling weight, including liquids to achieve specific axle weights. In some cases the coach builder will also put their recommended pressures on the vehicle plate. However, the majority put this to the maximum inflation pressure of the tyre to cover all loads being applied and not specific loads which often, are not near the plated weight you actually travel at.

The volume and pressure of the inflation medium is what carries the load and if it is not sufficient then the tyre can suffer damage, hence why it is extremely important for the correct loads to be obtained, in order to inflate the tyre correctly.

Experience shows that due to the weight distribution of vehicles in the leisure industry such as motor homes the likelihood of overloading or uneven weight distribution tends to put a greater load on the rear axle rather than on the front axles, where the weight tends to remain more consistent. It is true that when braking occurs the weight transference is to the front, but this only tends to be for short periods, whereas overloading on the rear axle can be present over long periods, when the tyres are rotating at high speed.

This is the main reason that with CP Camper type tyres the inflation pressures at the rear is deliberately set higher. Although this also has a bearing on the contact area when negotiating grassy parking areas and also to the sidewall deflection, which influences the body roll.

The 69 psi written on the side of the tyre is for the Northern American market only and the inflation pressure of the tyre can exceed this value within its safety operating range.'

459523051_ContinentalTyrePressures.gif.b4091ede1b2aad385c194fc2010f5c27.gif

Archived