uk touring..holiday insurance

tonyg3nwl

Just wondering if it would be wise to seek insurance for uk outings.

if we went on a coach tour for example, the travel agent would almost certainly insist on insurance of some sort to be included.

travelling in our own motorhome we dont usually seek special insurance, relying on AA and NHS should we need assistance. Is this adequate, as we dont pre book so no cancellation issues,.

I just wonder if we should reconsider,,

any comments or suggestions.

we are members of both CMC and CCC.

tonyg3nwl

Interesting Question Tony

Your van insurance should cover getting you home. As for Doctor/hospital, NHS should cover. We once had an accident in car, when I needed to go to hospital . I was taken to local hospital and seen there .in Lincolnshire I had stitches in my leg, so I suppose , not too serious

we do have annual travel ins, so I suppose, that would cover us, at least while still in EU ? , as it covers us for travel in Europe. A good point, I shall have to ask, when I renew next, though of course we will still be In europe, just not the EU,

technically we should be covered for going visiting friends and family, even going to the shops, maybe???

Will wait to hear what others say

PJay

Depends what you would be insuring against. Lost luggage is all I can think of if you are a UK resident.

As you say you have NHS for health, I take it you are covered for breakdown with AA and your legal insurance on motorhome would cover you for accidents or theft. I cannot see what else you would want covering.

Squatters moving in while you were away?

House damage-covered with house insurance

Possesions? -house insurance

Can't see what other cover you would want as you say you don't book in advance so curtailment/cancellation wouldn't be necessarry-what is there left?

If you are ACSI customer or CC ins you have 3rd party risks on site which also usually comes with ASCI ID

Mike

Hello Tony. I think you raised this once before.

I tour in the UK only for three weeks at a time. I have motorhome cover including contents, legal aid and sufficient replacement for my large windscreen; I have breakdown cover through Britannia Rescue [i'm a member of the CSMA/Boundless]. My house insurance will cover some items if they are not covered in the motorhome contents policy and legal aid. I have private medical insurance but that is not because I tour in the motorhome - its because the NHS has tried to cripple me once and kill me twice.

Most of my trips are to Caravan & Motorhome Club sites or CLs. Full sites do not require a deposit [yet] and the CLs I use do not seem to if I give my CMC membership number when I book. CMC provide some legal advice.

I see no need for other insurance when I motorhome. Insurance should be the last port of call for any risk that happens.

Archived