water leak past tv aerial

rowlie

My project is getting closer to being usable, however I have a problem. I fitted a Status 350 TV aerial and all has been fine until a couple of days ago when we had a torrential downpour. I found that water was leaking down the cable from the aerial into the wardrobe. I know the base was well sealed and there has been no leak until this latest rain. I seperated the top of the aerial from the base and found that there was water on the co-axial cable. This would suggest that is has entered from the top half of ther assembley. Has anyone experienced this and what was the outcome.

Low loss coaxial cable in particular can have the central conductor separated from the braided sheath by by a tube within which the central core is held in place by something akin to spokes which means that water can flow inside the cable. It may be that this has happened and I would try sealing the top of the cable with some sort of gland or perhaps silicon.

Mick Bajcar

Why?

Well, because it's not suitable for the application.

Am I prepared to elaborate?

No, experience tells me it would be futile and pointless - certainly as far as you're concerned.

But to coin the phrase - it probably does 'exactly what it says on the tin' and no more.

we had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago, and looked at the roof mounting, but like the OP found the water was actually coming down the cable.

On the basis it was not a DIY project us, we took it to our regular service/dealer, and the they said its not worth trying to take the aerial to pieces to repair/seal it, and we had to have a new Ariel. As the original one was fairly old, we did take the opportunity to go for the latest digital one!

globebuster - 2017-05-21 10:26 PM

Why?

No, experience tells me it would be futile and pointless - certainly as far as you're concerned.

But to coin the phrase - it probably does 'exactly what it says on the tin' and no more.

Well I use it and it works :-D

Plumbers rely on it to seal toilets and stop the contents coming down through the bathroom floor into the rooms below, so why wouldn't I rely on it to keep rainwater out?

Because it doesn't list motorhome roofs on the packaging *-)

John52 - 2017-05-22 9:10 AM

globebuster - 2017-05-21 10:26 PM

Why?

Well I use it and it works :-D

Plumbers rely on it to seal toilets and stop the contents coming down through the bathroom floor into the rooms below, so why wouldn't I rely on it to keep rainwater out?

Because it doesn't list motorhome roofs on the packaging *-)

Probably not flexible enough!

My OH worked in the adhesive industry , and you should use an appropriate product for the job. So Plumber's mate for Pluming only and indoors

PJay

If it works for you that's fine - and I'm glad you're happy.

However, your limited use of the product, does not necessarily endorse it's suitability.

I would also add that any plumber who 'relies on it' to ensure the containment of the contents of a WC is not one you ought to employ.

Like PJay, I feel that Plumber's Mait would not be flexible enough and bound to crack with use.

Plumber's Mait is very low tech, essentially putty that used to be used to hold glass in window frames (for those old enough to remember such things).

A little blob of silicon sealant at the end of the coax cable is sure to do the trick

Mick Bajcar

PJay - 2017-05-22 10:14 AM

My OH worked in the adhesive industry , and you should use an appropriate product for the job.

PJay

LOL they have always got an 'appropriate product for the job' (lol) Priced £29.99 ;-)

If the thing is held together by its own fastenings you don't need an adhesive. You only need a sealant. You will curse the adhesive if you need to dismantle it.

globebuster - 2017-05-22 11:24 AM

If it works for you that's fine - and I'm glad you're happy.

However, your limited use of the product, does not necessarily endorse it's suitability.

I would also add that any plumber who 'relies on it' to ensure the containment of the contents of a WC is not one you ought to employ.

Plumbers Mait is standard practice to seal the waste pipe into the back of a toilet - which is a piece of pottery not made to the standards of precision necessary for a conventional seal.

Mick Bajcar - 2017-05-22 12:08 PM

Like PJay, I feel that Plumber's Mait would not be flexible enough and bound to crack with use.

Mick Bajcar

Plumber's Mait has been sealing my van roof in 11 places for 7 years and no sign of cracks or leaks so far.

Can't say the same for silicone sealants.

John52 - 2017-05-22 12:26 PM

Mick Bajcar

Plumber's Mait has been sealing my van roof in 11 places for 7 years and no sign of cracks or leaks so far.

!! places ???

Glad I won't be looking to buy your van, should it come on market

PJay

John,

I see your knowledge of recent/current soil pipe to WC pan connection spigot is somewhat dated?

As I said previously, if you're happy using it that's fine - but you appear to be in the minority as to it's suitability for anything motorhome related, so what's the point harping on about it?

PJay - 2017-05-22 2:08 PM

Mick Bajcar

!! places ???

Glad I won't be looking to buy your van, should it come on market

PJay

All small holes except for roof fan. 2 for bracket and one for cable of 2 wifi aerials. 4 for 4 point mounted home made TV aerial. Been on 7 years and no leaks :-D

globebuster - 2017-05-22 10:34 PM

John,

I see your knowledge of recent/current soil pipe to WC pan connection spigot is somewhat dated?

Some use a plastic seal because its quicker. But in my experience Plumber's Mait is 100% reliable, unlike the plastic seal, because it moulds to mis-shaped outlet pipes.and doesn't deteriorate like the plastic seals.

Mick Bajcar

Eleven places! That's impressive. obviously Plumber Mate is the stuff to use. That's why it is used throughout the caravan and Motorhome industry but I know Sikaflex is pretty rubbish but give it a try

globebuster - 2017-05-22 10:34 PM

John,

As I said previously, if you're happy using it that's fine - but you appear to be in the minority as to it's suitability for anything motorhome related, so what's the point harping on about it?

At the risk of repeating myself.........let it go.

We all get the message - You love the stuff!!! Time to move on now........ chatterbox awaits

I used to be a plumber's mate. One of my many summer jobs as a student. He was apprenticed pre-war,(2nd). and there was nothing he didn't know about sealing. We used paint, hairy twine pulled through an old tobacco tin full of lard, and lead washers compressed against brass nuts. Also whilst connecting cast iron downspout lengths, hemp caulking topped out with lead wool. Nothing ever leaked by the time he was finished. Mind you, you could never dismantle a joint without totally wrecking the appliance afterwards.

I've nothing against using old materials if they work for you. They are tried and tested and cost peanuts and are not 'technique-sensitive'.

My beef is going to a supplier and paying for a tube of material, putting it in the gun, extruding half an inch of it for the job in hand and watching it go off in the tube over the next months of inactivity. Then repeating the whole miserable process two years down the line when the new wonder material fails because one's overlooked some tiny instruction in the small print.

Lighten up you guys, some egos at work here.

blaven - 2017-05-23 9:41 AM

I used to be a plumber's mate. One of my many summer jobs as a student. He was apprenticed pre-war,(2nd). and there was nothing he didn't know about sealing. We used paint, hairy twine pulled through an old tobacco tin full of lard, and lead washers compressed against brass nuts. Also whilst connecting cast iron downspout lengths, hemp caulking topped out with lead wool. Nothing ever leaked by the time he was finished. Mind you, you could never dismantle a joint without totally wrecking the appliance afterwards.

I've nothing against using old materials if they work for you. They are tried and tested and cost peanuts and are not 'technique-sensitive'.

My beef is going to a supplier and paying for a tube of material, putting it in the gun, extruding half an inch of it for the job in hand and watching it go off in the tube over the next months of inactivity. Then repeating the whole miserable process two years down the line when the new wonder material fails because one's overlooked some tiny instruction in the small print.

Lighten up you guys, some egos at work here.

I've never used egos. What's it like and is it better than his mate or should I stick to glue? :-> Sorry :$

keninpalamos - 2017-05-23 6:28 AM

Plumber Mate is the stuff to use. That's why it is used throughout the caravan and Motorhome industry but I know Sikaflex is pretty rubbish but give it a try

Well 'Sikaflex' or whatever has failed in this case, thats why its leaking.

You wouldn't use Plumber's Mate on a production line because a skilled operator with a caulking gun can work much faster. If the job takes 10 seconds with a caulking gun or 5 minutes with plumber's mait that matters on a production line. Doesn't matter when its a DIY er fixing a leak on his van.

Archived