what oil for a diesel injection pump?

big olga

Hi, I have been searching for a while now, to get the information on the subject on what type of oil is used in a Mercedes Benz om 616 2.4 diesel engine injection fuel pump.

The M B hand book tells you how to do it but does not state which oil is used ; Is it diesel engine oil or is it some other type of special oil?

I have looked at other M B fourms; their info.is good on how to top the pump up but no mention of the oil used.

Best Wishes, Dave.

Dave, standard Diesel fuel pumps are Lubricated by the same oil as the engine uses as it is pumped through/around the Injector pump from the Engine, so the only time you would put oil in it is when you have rebuilt it, or fit a new unit as a prime , till the engine oil gets there, here's a diagram that may assist you , look at No,s 33 and 38   oil feed and return.   http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_MFI/MFI_PUMP.htm 

hope its of some help. 

big olga - 2011-11-23 1:44 PM

Hi, I have been searching for a while now, to get the information on the subject on what type of oil is used in a Mercedes Benz om 616 2.4 diesel engine injection fuel pump.

The M B hand book tells you how to do it but does not state which oil is used ; Is it diesel engine oil or is it some other type of special oil?

I have looked at other M B fourms; their info.is good on how to top the pump up but no mention of the oil used.

Best Wishes, Dave.

I'm not familiar with your Mercedes motor, but many diesel fuel injection pumps rely on the diesel fuel itself for lubrication and cooling. (That's why running out of fuel, or contaminated fuel, can be catastrophic for a modern diesel engine.)

It's possible that your M-B handbook, and the M-B forums, are referring to priming and bleeding the fuel system (which will include the injection pump) and the reason no oil is mentioned is because no oil is involved in that procedure. Alternatively (as Corky advises), if there is an oil-feed to the pump and a replaced pump needs priming with oil, then that oil will be the appropriate engine-oil for your vehicle.

hi, the thing that has confused me is the red oil filler cap on the fuel injector pump beside the primer pump.

I was worried that the pump had not recieved any lub. top up for years; when I look into the pump though the red filler cap, no oil is visible ;the engine is 32 years old and has 36,000 miles on the clock.

Many Thanks for the answers to my question.

Best Wishes Dave.

hi, This info. from the M B cars is the one I need; as some of the cars had the same om 616 engine.

I can now have another look at the IP to see if I can find the level plug and open it up to see if any oil comes out.

I learn somthing new every week about the maintenance of my classic Camper.

Thanks to all for the information.

dave.

Some of these in line pumps have a oil sump ( while others have a supply from the engine itself). The presence of a red filler cap indicates yours has a sump. It should be filled to the filler plug. but sorry I do not know the oil specification but will do some more digging. I suspect it will be much the same as engine oil.

Eventually due to minute leakage of diesel fuel within the pump the lubricating oil becomes diluted. By repute as long as the oil is changed once in a while there is less wear than with the engine oil lubricated type.

All thats needed to get the old oil out is a small syringe.

I have come across many inline injector pumps that have their own oil to lubricate the camshaft. The same engine oil that is being used in the engine is good enough for the injector. pump. You must make sure that there isn't any oil leaks or else it will run dry.

Dry injector pump will damage the camshaft, rollers and bearings. It may also damage the pump housing. I have seen many injector pumps run dry as well. If you notice an oil leak then you must get it serviced at a local diesel workshop.

If you are still in doubt drive your vehicle to a diesel workshop and have their technician check for leaks and oil levels.

• 4 years later...

Hi David,

I have a Mercedes MB100 Campervan and I'm currently experiencing some problems consistent with issues with the fuel pump :-S Could you supply a better quality image on the page below. I have a owners handbook but its in japanese! (helpful).

Many Thanks

Jody Gibbons

Fellow MB100 Camper owner ;-)

Archived