wildcamping

ips

Have not done much wildcamping for various reasons some of which have been mentioned on previous posts, my main concern is security. Obviously your not going to park up anywere that could potentially be a problem but I am interested if anyone has actualy had any problems whilst wildcamping in a rural uk area, or am I worrying unneccasarily. I am no softie however I am too old and not at all interested in standing toe to toe with a yobbo when I am sposed to be on my jollies, particularily when mrs ips is around.

Not had any probs wilding Ips,do more of that here and over the water normally than sites.

Wilding at the mo ,18 deg and free....sooooo good

On our way back soon but will wildcamp before Newark and P,boro.

Just stay aware and use your loaf.

Hi IPS,

We have been wild camping mainly in the UK but also in France. In the UK we have wildcamped in Sussex, Hampshire, Kent, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Mid & N. Wales, Rutland, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Durham, Northumberland & all over Scotland. I've named them to give you some idea - but we always choose our spot carefully. Keep away from cities & towns; don't overstay your welcome, usually one night occassionally two. Leave nothing but tyre marks. I always park so that I can drive off if necessary. I won't lie to you - we made a mistake by parking up too close to Bishop Aukland & it turned out to be the gathering place for the youngsters who seemed to be enjoying beer & what appeared to be 'funny cigarettes'. They never really bothered us but as it was still mid afternoon 'Mrs. Travellingman' wasn't keen to stay around so we moved on a few miles. On a few occassions we have had two separate cars arrive & occupants join together in one car?? about an hour later they get into their own cars & drive off - I'll leave you to decide what was going on!!!

I'm registered disabled so by no means able to stand toe to toe with anyone but we do love the freedom & tranquility that wildcamping brings us. So in around 12 years motorhoming we have been on site maybe five nights & we usually motorhome all year round - last year we spent around five months in our van; we couldn't do that if we went on site every night.

My advice, give it a go - choose your areas carefully the more rural the better & if you know your area drop me a PM as I may be able to help (but no promises). (lol) (lol)

Guest Tracker

It pays to locate your spot in daylight even if you don't stop then but return later that way you can see the way the area is used, unused or abused.

Things like piles of broken window glass are a no no for us for example as is evidence of fly tipping or used condoms on the ground - or hanging from trees (I don't think it was a rubber tree really!)

Some areas allow you to park in car parks between say 6.00 pm and 8.00 am so it pays to read the signs.

Many pub landlords will allow you to stay on their car park if you buy a few drinks or a meal from them.

Coatal areas where all night beach / breakwater fishermen might park up is also worth consideration. Have not been there for years but Dungeness comes to mind.

Church car parks can be quiet - dead quiet! - but I would not use one on a Saturday night in case the locals needed the car park Sunday morning as most of them are compact. I have been known to ask the Vicar and offer a fiver donation - readily accepted I might add!!

We too have never been bothered or troubled but you do tend to wonder what is going on with every strange noise you hear in the night!

hi, we have wild camped in the uk, ireland (north & south) and most of europe, like has been said choose your spot carefully and leave only memories. Only problem we had was at thornick bay east yorkshire, middle of winter pooring rain at 11pm knock on the door, cant overnight here mate, why not, cos its policy but its a car park in the middle of nowhere and only us here, sorry. Oh if u were fishing u could stay. I`ll get my rod out then. It cud onl happen in england, the owner could make a mint if he charged a small fee,. have fun, we do.

It is a very rare occurrence for us to use a campsite. We much prefer to wildcamp, usually somewhere remote.

Occasionally we have been disturbed by boy racers but most of the time it is very peaceful. Just because somebody appears with a noisy car, it does not follow that they will want to confront you. They are nuisances only.

There is a forum for wildcampers and you can get a lot of useful info from there. It is like everything else, a bit daunting at first but you learn as you go along.

You can pm me for more info if you wish.

National Park Wardens in Cumbria are a pain in the backside. You'd think they owned the place. That's the only time we've been disturbed in 8 years of wild camping.

We were parked on the private car parking spot in the woods allocated to our friends yacht we were using.

We wildcamp in the UK when the opportunity arises for us to get away, as has been said:

- use your common sense

- don't cause a problem for anyone else

- make sure it's 'safe'

- be discrete so you don't stand out like a big white thumb!

- arrive late-ish, leave early-sh (if you do get the chance to suss out somewhere during the daylight it is much better)

- don't leave 'puddles' of your waste water or rubbish

- don't be afraid to ask the locals for where to safely park-up, you'd be surprised how helpful they can be giving you details of 'safe spots' you can use

If you do get trouble, just set Mrs ips and daughter on to them with their curling tongs!!!

:D

Mel B - 2011-02-09 9:03 PM

We wildcamp in the UK when the opportunity arises for us to get away, as has been said:

- use your common sense

- don't cause a problem for anyone else

- make sure it's 'safe'

- be discrete so you don't stand out like a big white thumb!

- arrive late-ish, leave early-sh (if you do get the chance to suss out somewhere during the daylight it is much better)

- don't leave 'puddles' of your waste water or rubbish

- don't be afraid to ask the locals for where to safely park-up, you'd be surprised how helpful they can be giving you details of 'safe spots' you can use

If you do get trouble, just set Mrs ips and daughter on to them with their curling tongs!!!

:D

Excellent advise Mel

Tracker - 2011-02-08 8:57 PM

Church car parks can be quiet - dead quiet! - but I would not use one on a Saturday night in case the locals needed the car park Sunday morning as most of them are compact. I have been known to ask the Vicar and offer a fiver donation - readily accepted I might add!!

We don't fuss about people using our car park, or expect them to pay, but we do like them to leave a note of how we can contact them if we need the space.

However, have a look at the notice board, and avoid any times when there's a regular weekly event - and yes, that DOES include Sunday mornings, but you'd be surprised how many people don't think of that!

My wife and I are reluctant to wildcamp in England because we feel the van, being quite big and bright white and blue in colour might stick out like the proverbial dogs' wedding tackle and either cause offence to locals or more likely, attract yobbery. We happily use aires in France.

We are very tempted to switch to a 6-metre long PVC in an inoffensive colour scheme next time as it might be a safer bet and we would very much like to have a go at wildcamping. Especially as, by then, our pensions are likely to be inflation-ravaged by Mervyn King, scourge of the prudent and responsible.

Height barriers are endemic in the south of England so the car parks where we know enough about the area to deem them "safe"and have been tempted to try with our current van, are closed to us, even for day use.

Bob

Picking up on the welcoming attitude of Tony's church. I have always thought it would be interesting if churches occasionally used the 28-day rule to organise weekend parking for motorhomes, which could also be fund-raisers for the church. Perhaps with a Friday and Saturday stay and an invitation to join a service as guests to meet the locals. Wouldn't it be good thing if mosques, Sikh temples, synagogues etc did the same? (Obviously day of invitation to see a service of worship would vary and available space would be a constraint).

Such events might also be good PR for motorhomers. If people get used to seeing motorhomes in their environment we may not be viewed with such hostility in some quarters.

Bob

Reading through this thread it seems all the reasons for never wild camping, although what is wild about it is beyond me, are given. Be ready for a quick get-a-way, check the place over, wonder what every noise is, being disturbed by police, national park wardens, boy racers, security etc, etc. IPS you are on holiday do not even think about it. Use aires, stellplatz if you must but 'wild camping' just gets M/H,s a bad name and certainly cannot be relaxing.

Usinmyknaus - 2011-02-11 9:40 AM ................. We happily use aires in France. .............. Bob

Sorry to be picky, Bob, but if you were intending your reference to aires etc to be included within the definition of wild camping, I would say this may be misleading for some.  Aires are dedicated motorhome facilities.  Whereas they fall somewhere between car parks and campsites (and at the extremes, are sometimes difficult to distinguish from either) they almost invariably have facilities (grey and black water dumps, plus fresh water) specifically for motorhomes.  Wild camping would be camping elsewhere, away from facilities, be it on open land, a beach, a layby, or even a car park, where motorhome parking is not authorised or encouraged.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be "wild".

rupert123 - 2011-02-11 10:29 AM

Reading through this thread it seems all the reasons for never wild camping, although what is wild about it is beyond me, are given. Be ready for a quick get-a-way, check the place over, wonder what every noise is, being disturbed by police, national park wardens, boy racers, security etc, etc. IPS you are on holiday do not even think about it. Use aires, stellplatz if you must but 'wild camping' just gets M/H,s a bad name and certainly cannot be relaxing.

This has been my thoughts exactly for some time but one reads of folk going wild and sometimes think I should give it a go. Not sure if this thread has encouraged or discouraged me :-S

Rupert's antagonism towards wildcampers is well documented on here and is the view of only one man.

We have always been made welcome by local people and it is very rare that some grumpy old git has a bee in his bonnet towards the likes of us.

If we turned up in a rusty old Transit van with a horde of screaming kids then I would expect a frosty reception. Local people are not stupid you know.

Always smile and say hello and try to get into a conversation with people and the ice will be broken. Many times they suggest an even better spot locally.

747 - 2011-02-11 12:45 PM

Rupert's antagonism towards wildcampers is well documented on here and is the view of only one man.

I think you need to make that 2 men, I have stated similar "cant see the point" posts in a few previous posts on wildcamping. I will of course try anything once but I am apprehensive hence the post. I dont think it is a case of being bothered about locals perception of wild camping I think that Rupert's and my point is the lack of relaxation given the wildcamping scenario ie the possibility of enduring yobbos in vauxhall corsas getting to "know" there girlfriends whilst there mates are doing handbrake turns with cans of special brew being thrown out of the window at your MH.

When all along you could have paid £6 to stay on a cl (if you are to tight to pay £15 for a "propper" site) and have a relaxing holiday / weekend.

Dont know what type of campsite you frequent but we have never been next to boyracers. Been near the occasional family with young kids .. urgh but they normaly beggar off to the play ground or summat, anyway we have a good look around first and keep well away from any caravan / mh with any signs of bikes, footballs etc. and well away from any playground or open field. :-D certainly never felt unsecure or threatened in any way on a campsite or felt like we couldnt relax for fear of being moved on by plod or yobbos. Anyway if your only reason for going wild is being able to "move on in times of trouble or if you dont like it" then you can move from a campsite any time you like ... its not a prison (though I admit some of em look like they should be) (lol)

Hi. Im new so I will try not to upset anyone with my views.

What I have learned over the years is that our opinions of ideal places to stay in our motorhomes are all different. Some people love campsites with full facilities, pools etc. I personally loath them but I love CL's and I love wild camping but only and this is a big only if its somewhere special.

I think wild camping can be fantastic and I have certainly done a lot of it over the years but in the UK I think you need to plan ahead or know where your going if you want somewhere special. The thing is though, when you are parked on top of a mountain in the Lake District or by a Scottish Loch in your own private spot and its midnight and you wander out to look at the stars there is nothing better. A campsite or a CL cannot offer you that. I remember wilding in the Pyrenees last spring at over 7000ft, completely on our own and it was just superb. But its not for everyone. I have to say that in France or most of Europe I feel much safer and will park just about anywhere (as do the French).

I would personally avoid a tarmac car park anywhere in the UK as its going to attract our lovely youngsters in their Corsas etc. They wont kill you but they will annoy you. Do your research and there really are some superb places to spend a night or two. Its not about the money for me its about the experience and freedom.

Regarding the Thornick Bay wild spot. If its the cliff top place then its owned by the campsite people and you can be seen from the campsite. That was probably the problem but I do know that people have overnighted there.

This is ambitious for a first post but Im going to try and attach a wild camping photo.

Cheers

Barry

754672646_wildy2lam.jpg.6542a702b0692766819b1a9ede97d82e.jpg

That is a very good first post Barry, it sums me up as well.

A big campsite reminds me of Butlins when I was a young'un and that is probably what puts me off. 5 van sites can be excellent but not when there are sheep in the next field and so I have to be selective.

BTW is your Avatar an old passport photo? :D

Archived