Beach or views

Administrator

Guest Tracker

Neither - the cost, the liklihood of unruly kids and dogs, how close units were sited (assuming non club site) would all have a greater bearing on what remains of one's sanity than location - unless one particulary wanted either a beach or a scenic site.

Guest pelmetman

A difficult one this as we love both but in an ideal world we would be parked up beside a beach without an unruly child to be seen or heard with fantastic views in the background

Actually we found ourselves parked up next to some really beautiful beaches and views of the mountains in the background whilst in Spain in January.

If I had to choose it would probably be the site next to the beach as I love the sea.

Sue

Mel B - 2011-04-08 5:56 PM

The sea every time ... the dogs don't appreciate scenic 'inland' views! :D

But what about the " breathtaking sea vistas " - which was half the question.

;-)

This is the kind I prefer, as long as it is also peaceful: (if I can load it )

vista1.jpg.9b2da96dd94f542c2264824421f5b736.jpg

We have sea views at home but still enjoy them when away, we also love the mountains and green sweeping vistas; depends where we are actually.

The most important thing for us (after peace and quiet of course) is that there are good walks nearby, where the dog can run free without us having to worry about stock being disturbed, and a good eating establishment to refuel afterwards.

• 1 month later...
Both :D We tend to love to be near water but it doesn't matter wherher it is the Sea, a Lake or a River. We both enjoy snorkelling and so beach locations are an advantage. However, we also enjoy walking so Coastal Paths, The Dales, The Moors, Peak District etc are also just as good.

Not really beach people so would always go for views. Ideal is nice views next to an interesting village or town to wander round, get something to eat etc. Come to think of it the aire at Trigance (Var, Dept 83) really fills the bill with views straight out of "A Place in the Sun" and a lovely village to look round. (5€/night inc el hook-up).

• 2 weeks later...

I've little interest in the majority of beaches. Despite the improvements to them over the years, there is still too much rubbish thrown up by the sea. The only beaches I like are in northern Scotland.

Give me a view any day, preferably one that does not include looking at a rubbish strewn beach.

Neither. Something of interest, town, village, historic or archaeological remains, gallery, museum, notable building, unusual geology, or similar (even a decent supermarket from time to time!) within walking distance, or with reasonable access via public transport, are far more of an influence. Good landscape is desirable in conjunction with these, but non-essential. Beaches, for reasons other than landscape quality, even lower priority. Nice, but so is wallpaper - sometimes! (lol)

Don't want to start that old chestnut again! However, as you know, we prefer to stay on sites, and have yet to stumble on an aire we'd like to stay on.

Despite this, we have had no problems to date, despite having roamed fairly freely across a substantial proportion of Europe, in meeting our preferences by the means I described.

For the benefit of like minded others, who may be a little discouraged by your comment that you have not generally found campsites near to places you wish to visit, I would only say one does not have to explore such places directly from a campsite.

One visits the village, or whatever, one parks (sometimes on an aire etc), one explores, and then one moves on to a campsite. Three to four hours of wandering is enough to see most villages, and even quite a few small towns as well.

For larger towns/cities, I select sites on bus routes, or train routes, and we travel in that way.

That is how we make it work and, to that extent, your comment regarding distances of sites from places of interest is not strictly relevant. One can easily visit such places, even when using campsites for overnight stays.

One just has to be that bit more flexible, and inventive, in one's approach. :-)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brian Kirby - 2011-05-30 10:20 PMDon't want to start that old chestnut again! However, as you know, we prefer to stay on sites, and have yet to stumble on an aire we'd like to stay on.

Here's an Aire, well Stellplatz to be precise, Taxenbach in the Austrian Tyrol and aphoto to follow if I can........... nope doesn't work :(

257101528_FromourDiningRoomTaxenbach(800x600)(640x480)(300x225).jpg.a0929f3b180609ee590dcdd6ac105c4b.jpg

"If you had to choose, would it be a campsite’s proximity to a sandy shore or breathtaking sea vistas that would swing it for you. "

I think that the options are so close that they are virtually the same! A beach with a stunning view, a taverna a harbour, small and with working boats rather than full of pleasurecraft, and an island or two to explore would do nicely!

As would a view over some beautiful green landscape, and not necessarily a drop of water in sight.

Add some lively, picturesque towns or villages close to a railway station and I'm in heaven!

Getting a bit of each on any trip is a real achievement, and what I personally look for.

Just back from Fr/Ger/Belgium and all enjoyed but the coastal stuff .

regards, alan

P.S.

Just started planning a trip to Spain in late Jan/feb, and maybe Croatia i September; looking for the above.

Archived