Buying a new motorhome

Administrator

Buying a new motorhome  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm waiting for a house to sell (some hope ??) and yes, if it does, a Panel van conversion is the first thing to be purchased, But it definately will NOT be a Sevel X250 base (i'm not a masochist) A Renault MWB, for use as everyday vehicle as well. I just hope that the Converter survives the Recession/downturn/crunch. :D :D

No.

A/ With a recession possible to much of a risk and better to sit tight for a while.

B/ With prices between £30k to £60k for a "average" motorhome time to stand back and think of exactly what you are getting for your money.

C/ Why buy new. Huge discount buying second hand low mileage model with added benifits of often having expensive accessories fitted and warranty gliches sorted out.

Example on my own second hand coachbuilt bought some months ago.

Telly, awning, bike rack, alarm system, wax oiled, side steps and security locks on front doors.

Often find this on vans bought new and sold after a year or two and seems like spending a lot of money for the next owner to enjoy.

We are considering a bit bigger model preferably with a fixed bed I am happy with our Peugeot , but are likeley to look at other options as for base vehicle one things for sure theres no way Brownhills will be getting any more of my well hard earned money once bitten !!!

We bought ours new for a few reasons, but mainly because we wanted specific things on it and it was easier to order them fitted by Autotrail than spend weeks looking for a second hand one that only "came close", then would have meant either expensive rero fits or compromising on things.

Because I don't judder in reverse, I'm happy with my FIAT Ducato, (so far anyway!)

We were lucky to be able to afford it, so we could have sat looking at a big bank statement or used the money now to enable us to have a life while we are still young(ish), but I can really understand anyone baulking at paying out some of the ridiculous amounts that vans cost. We were at the show on Thursday and some van conversions were over 50K!

Yes I have ordered a new Fiat based motorhome at the show. My first vehicle (Fiat based) was 3 yrs old when I bought it to see if I liked the activity. It has been a trial vehicle for the past 10 months and I have enjoyed every mile and the general lifestyle. So having used it for some 12weeks, and covered some 5000 miles, I now want to move up to a new vehicle which gives most of what I would prefer in a base and layout having had a bit of experience .

Took delivery of a merc based a class with the 3ltr auto last week. The only other base i would have would be the Renault. Lost very little on the old one, but kept like new and hopefully the new owner collin thinks the same.

Several years ago we were thinking of buying a motorhome. We looked at used models, none of them could fulfill our requirements. We needed space for an electric wheelchair, 2 people and I German Shephard. and something which would support our idea of retirement, and living for longer periods of time.We also required a fixed bed, something which we could get on a supermarket car park, and fit onto CL sites. The motorhomes were getting larger, & larger, then we were also towing a car large enough to carry the same.

We then turned our attention to 4x4 and large caravans. We changed our minds about that one, because although some had fixed beds, they still did not fulfill the criteria required.

However we did finally hit upon the answer. We bought an old fifthwheel outfit. which ticked all the boxes, and would help us narrow down exactly what we needed. (kept that for 8 years) Last year we took the plunge & bought a new one. we already had a truck (from the other fifthwheel) so we spent £20,000 on a new 30ft Jayco (12ft slide) which will suit all of our needs. Fifthwheels do have all the features of a big motorhome, but combined with the flexability of car & caravan. My husband & myself would now not go back to either car/caravan or motorhome, we have our dream home from home. Dare to be different, have another look at fifthwheels. (they do not all have to come from Wales, there are many other superb models & manufacturers out there)

Suekyra

Guest Tracker

Not a new one, nor a new Ducato/Boxer based one either - they seem over rated and over priced for what they are and what they do (and don't do).

My perception is that he shoddy and flimsy build quality of some of the new vans in the name of weight saving also leaves a lot to be desired.

I've driven two and the general impression they left on me was underwhelming.

Maybe a pre 2007 Boxer with a 2.2 hdi engine and an Alko chassis as the trade off of a low ground clearance due to the long wheelbase is a fair price to pay for the vastly improved handling, ride and noise levels over the standard chassis and the Peugeot 2.2 hdi is, in my view, the quietest and smoothest motor in the range.

Admittedly my experience of both new Ducato and old Alko is limited - but that's my perception of the vans that I have driven.

That said I can see the attraction of a new shiny well built and reliable new van - if you can find one!

It's quite possibel that we may change our MH in the next year, but it ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT be a new one.

We all have our own personal views of course, but for the me the initial high price, and massive initial depreciation hit seem just to be madness.

I also don't like at all the prospect of having to go back several times to have things fixed/adjusted, that should, for that vast amount of money, damn well work properly from day one.

I also strongly believe that the market for used MH's is going to be flooded in the coming year, as large numbers of people seek to sell them as they need to realise the money they've got tied up in them (because of redundancy etc); thus used prices are really going to tumble due to oversupply and a dearth of buyers.

Additionally, I'd rather someone else paid new, top dollar, for all the bits and bobs and extras that the first owner normally adorns his MH with.

Also that someone else had all the headaches of getting all the "teething troubles" sorted out by the supplying dealer.

For all the above reasons, it'll always be a used MH that we'd consider buying.

I'm looking to get new van when Fiat gearbox issue is resolved, cannot find a layout on Renault that I like as much as 'new' twin, secondhand? not with the gearbox issue, I would happily build my own on a Renault base but gf has too many other jobs for me. So should I wait best part of two years for a suitable secondhand twin with hopefully fixed box, with maintenance of present van becoming an issue it needs to be passed on to someone with the enthusiasm to restore or be scrapped and I want to get on with life.

Did the deal at the NEC last week.

Question more that we had to change our BessarcarrE410, due to change of circumstances with my wifes disability, which now requires an Electric Wheelchair.

Will have to wait until march 2009, but we don't use the M/H a lot in the winter months.

We only went to NEC to view what was available, but surprised we found a van that ticked 31 of 33 requirements. The other 2 are being discussed with the manufacturer/ dealer, but no big problem.

We have chosen the new Autocruise Sportstar.

I researched the subject of a suitable motorhome for my requirements in my last couple of years in full time employment. All the shows were visited and I bought MMM regularly to narrow down what I wanted/needed in the way of facilities and extras.

Fortunately, I seem to have got it right first time and am totally happy with my motorhome. The mileage is 20,000 and the vehicle doesn't 'miss a beat'.

So in answer to the question, I shall not be buying a new motorhome and suspect my first shall be my last !

• 3 weeks later...

Archived