Choosing a vehicle

Administrator

Choosing a vehicle  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ChrisK5 - 2009-10-19 9:04 PM Layout has got to be the most important factor depending on your specific needs and requirements, although i wouldn't choose one with a Ford Transit cab because i drive one for work every day (I'm a Builder).

Hmmm, agree with you about layout, but if not the Transit, what's the alternative?

Mercedes - overpriced because of the badge.

Renault - reliable but dated, new model due next year.

Fiat/Peugeot - great if you never need to reverse, and you can live with disgraceful customer service.

Guest Tracker

Price and layout are equally important.

It does not matter how cheap it is if the layout is impractical for your needs and it does not matter how wonderful the layout might be if it is outside of your budget.

Apart from that, avoiding X250 based vans, avoiding vans with dreadful build quality and avoiding unhelpful and unscrupulous dealers just adds to the fun!

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2009-10-21 9:27 PM

Other ....

One that will reverse properly! Well, someone had to say it! :D

I didn't like to Mel - you know me - epitome of diplomacy as ever!

The Right layout on a reliable and tested chassis.

Although we 'live' in these Vehicles, they are STILL vehicles, and to me being reliable and not causing me Headaches/wallet-ache, is VERY important. I like to have as wide a choice of vehicle makes to choose from as possible, That is slowly diminishing as time goes by.

At the NEC show this year over 90% were on 'Sevel' produced chassis's

THAT is not healthy for any Industry whether it be motorhomes or washing machines. Ray (?)

Guest Tracker
Rayjsj - 2009-10-24 8:21 PM

THAT is not healthy for any Industry whether it be motorhomes or washing machines. Ray (?)

I've never tried a holiday in a washing machine Ray - did it leave you feeling all washed up and in a lather or did you end up in a spin?

It's probably too reliant on a mains hook up for our taste although it would be easy to park I guess - if only the water tank were bigger?

Other - dealer

The right van from the wrong dealer is a waste of time giving the low quality of build and the likelihood that you will have to deal with the dealer for severl years.

Fortunately, there are good dealers and so choie is not that limited.

Tracker - 2009-10-24 8:33 PM

Rayjsj - 2009-10-24 8:21 PM

I've never tried a holiday in a washing machine Ray - did it leave you feeling all washed up and in a lather or did you end up in a spin?

It's probably too reliant on a mains hook up for our taste although it would be easy to park I guess - if only the water tank were bigger?

Well,

The Window is watertight, and there is now a choice of colours other than white, and just because it's got a German name on it, does'nt mean thats where it was made,spares can be difficult to get hold of. Come to think of it there are probably other simularities as well . But no, not an experience to be recommended. Ray :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure layout is the most important thing, I think payload is pos more important, as if your M/H cannot be used in the way you requirer

it is a complete waste of time and money. we would not even look inside a M/H if the payload was too low or there was insufficiant external storage.

Its like having a family of 4 but buying a lovely 2 seater car as it is faster or more comfortable. This is after buying 3 new M/Hs.

Hello,

A layout that suits in an overall size that isn't too large on a base vehicle that is reliable and not too expensive to buy, with a payload capability for an acceptable life style.

Dream on?

Not quite, our "Replated" Bessacarr E605, 2000 vintage suits us now, but as time moves on and bed making becomes a chore we will be looking again. When the Fiat saga is resolved of course! :-D

• 3 weeks later...
No single category determines what we will choose as our next van except it will not be a Fiat (Sevel). This will not be because of the gear box problem, which will have been sorted by the time we buy our next van, but because of the way Fiat especially but Peugeot as well have treated their customers and the time they have taken to resolve the problem while continuing to sell defective products to the public.

Archived