DIY

Administrator

DIY  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OAL Moderator - 2009-07-20 3:16 PMWhat DIY do you carry out on your own motorhome? Please give some examples of the type of work carried out...

(revised forum poll, thanks to Tracker and Keithl for pointing out the error that the original had no 'all of the above' option - it's there now!)

Only Motorhomes?David

Guest Tracker

Is there anybody there?

Well yes there is - big brother (aka Mike) - is watching over us!

What do I do on the van - well not a lot usually 'cos very little goes wrong with a pre X250 Sevel van - generally!

I can service both van (when out of warranty) and habitation, fit a second battery, alarm, extra security, solar panel, and repair or replace or find a way to overcome problems on fridges, cookers, pumps, blinds, door and cupboard catches (or bodge them up 'till we home if we are abroad) just about anything that does break in use - well so far so good anyway!

Handy bloke to have around my good lady reckons - but what does she know?

Best of all I'm still learning and enjoying the experience - but there is still a heck of a lot that I don't know or understand - electronics mainly!

Previously I've converted an ambulance into a motorhome, designing and making all the furniture and installing the equipment etc. It did get 'interesting' when I was varnishing all the woodwork in the middle of winter with the doors shut ... not quite high as a kite but I was getting there! :D

When we had a Rapido 709F I made numerous changes and improvements to the interior such as making a new table to replace the rediculously heavy one, managing to change the opening of the fridge door without having to remove it (that was fun!), shelves next to the bed etc, a removable shelf next to the sink utilising the existing sink cover, and making fitted removable covers for the seats including the cab ones (they were a real pain to do!). My first major job was putting on a bike rack and installing a 'through the roof' Status 530 aerial as well as putting in new clear roof vents in place of the existing opaque ones. :-D

In our current Rimor I've done various things such as installing an extra heating vent and re-routing the piping, installing additional lights, shelves, making covers for the seating, installing a mount for the flat screen TV; as it came with a bike rack and aerial I haven't had to install them this time but I am considering replacing one of the roof vents again .... :-S

I tend to do a lot of these jobs when hubby's not around and he gets rather 'nervous' when I go near his 'pride and joy' with my power tools! >:-) He nearly had kittens when I put the bike rack on the Rapido and drove me nuts ... he nearly ended up with holes being drilled in him as well as the rear of the van!!! (lol)

Hi,

I am another lady and a dab hand with the power tools.

I have put on "safe door" catches, repaired locks, installed new catches, removed and replaced the table in our rapido 746 with an alternative. Ive made pelmets, curtains, seat covers in most of our motorhomes, put up hanging rails in our garage models, fitted TV's, microwaves, built drawer units, cupboards, changed light fittings etc. I dont like messing with electrics or gas, I take the van to Nick at Adventure Motorhomes in Bridgewater. Good chap, realistic prices, no such word as cant! www.adventuremotorhomes.co.uk

Guest Tracker
jo scott - 2009-07-27 3:37 PM

er. . . .I've hung a red paper chinese lantern...which bleached out to pink after two days of sunshine..... does that qualify??

jo

www.broadstairsfoodfestival.org.uk

Cutting off it's colour circulation probably killed it Jo - but why did you hang it?

What had it done to offend you that was so bad that it deserved to be hung?

• 2 weeks later...

I started off way back, converting a Bedford CA Ambulance primarily as Race Transport for Motorbikes. Used it with a frane tent coupled up to the rear as the pit garage and managed to fit 4 berths. (No electrical goodies in those days)

This was followed by Bedford 2.3 (petrol) CF Luton bodied Van. Mainly built with the fittings from a Caravan where the roof had rotted due to water ingress and the owner wanted the chassis for a trailer.

Next we downsized considerably to a Diahatsu Hijet Van - simple 2 berth, with kitchen unit that could be used inside or removed for outdoor use or to allow more room for a trip to the Builders merchants.

After moving away for too long, we bought a Bessacar E410 LP, but as my wife is now confined to a wheelchair we upgraded to the Autocruise Sportstar as this gives us a garage for the wheelchair. Currently adding extra shelves in the upper lockers (between trips)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived