Favourite motorhome destination

Daniel the editor

Guest Tracker

The Nordkapp in the North

The Sahara Dessert in the South

It's not the destination - it's the journey that counts!

The destination means only one thing - once you leave everywhere else is on the way home!

New Zealand.

We went there in 2009 -- that's what gave us the motorhoming bug! A stunningly beautiful country, wonderful friendly people, no dogs allowed (except sheepdogs) on D.O.C. (department of conservation) land -- which means almost everywhere that you might want to visit! What an enlightened policy!

Only 4 million people in a country with an area slightly larger than our own, I could go on -- heaven on earth -- an absolutely amazing place!

Such a pity that I shall probably never be able to afford to go there again ( or survive the flight!) -- but such memories -- and a pretty good set of photographs too!

Colin.

We're touring Europe at the moment, been to France, Spain, Portugal and now in Italy. But my fave place currently ( it may change as we go) was Morocco. I felt excited and scared as it was so different to Europe. But facing fear is what made me love it. The people are lovely, the landscape beautiful, I hope we get to go back at some point.

Otherwise, it's anywhere free so we can spend our budget on wine, eating out and meeting the locals instead of campsites where we don't use most of the facilities. We've woken up to some amazing views through our windscreen and met some fantastic people. I love motorhome life.

Julie

OurTour - a mid life European wander in a motorhome

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tracker
Brian Kirby - 2012-05-27 10:00 PM

The next one, never the last one. Surely, it is all about new horizons? Is that not why vans have wheels: that they may turn?

If your wheels were at Peterborough in April they may well have been turning - but they weren't going anywhere!

Tracker - 2012-05-27 10:29 PM

The next one, never the last one. Surely, it is all about new horizons? Is that not why vans have wheels: that they may turn?

If your wheels were at Peterborough in April they may well have been turning - but they weren't going anywhere!

So I gather, but they were elsewhere, turning and creating motion. I went to Peterborough once!

Guest Tracker
Brian Kirby - 2012-05-28 4:37 PM

Tracker - 2012-05-27 10:29 PM

So I gather, but they were elsewhere, turning and creating motion. I went to Peterborough once!

You were one of the lucky ones Brian - you escaped - rumour has it that some are still buried above their roofs and cannot be seen with no chance of rescue or escape!

For us the dream destination has to be Canada.

Skied there a few times, but would love to do a long tour of the Canadian Rockies through Alberta & British Columbia in an oversize RV.

Start at Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise.then the Icefields to Jasper & Edmonton, eventually wending way over to Vancover.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
flicka - 2012-05-28 10:21 PM

For us the dream destination has to be Canada.

Skied there a few times, but would love to do a long tour of the Canadian Rockies through Alberta & British Columbia in an oversize RV.

Start at Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise.then the Icefields to Jasper & Edmonton, eventually wending way over to Vancover.

I sincerely hope your dream comes true Flicka, I lived in Winnipeg for many years and have done the trip you dream of but I did it from Winnipeg to Regina then onto Calgary and from Calgary followed almost the same route as you want to use via Jasper & Banff to Vancouver. This was in the early 1970s and I found it worked out cheaper to buy a second hand RV in Winnipeg and sell it when we reached VC seven weeks later, it`s a truly amazing and vast country that has to be seen to be believed, my dream would be to do the full monty, Montreal to Vancouver east coast to west coast.

Regards

Phil

• 5 months later...

Afternoon all,

This year we have been to portugal and spain thru france, our next trip is to the west coast of france below the Gironde estuary hoping the weather is going to be good.

norm

The Alps. The higher the better. Took the van over the Col de Bonette (Highest alpine pass in Europe 10000ft) last summer which was briliant (apart from the brakes setting on fire).

Pyrenees is also very good. Cirque de Gavarnie takes some beating but I agree Switzerland is smashing but the Swiss are a bit odd and they dont have many Aires. Blooming expensive as well. Apart from the scenery which at the end of the day is what you go for.

• 1 month later...
with out doubt nz done it several times when nz dollar 3 too £1 only hired land cruiser but being by myself wild camp no prob another good trip alaskla highway / nwt up to Yellowknife and lake Tibbet start of the ice roads plenty of wildlife ! Will post some photos later also Yukon was there midsummer day at eagle plains permanent pop 2 during winter? summer American r v + truckers supplying the oil gas fields now closer to home around gb but Scotland ex & the islands of course

Archived