Motorhome buying considerations

Administrator

Surely it has to be price relative to what you need?...therefore it's a combination of starting points.  First set your budget then decide how many people you need/want to carry and from there you can research the market.  IMO it's not possible to determine the 'most' important as an item in isolation.

Agree with Roger.

Budget is usually the most determining constraint for the majority of people. Once that is determined, visit a Show to see as many different Vans as possible. Hire a van (if a newbie - to see if Motorhoming is what you think it is. Create a check list of Must Have's, Would Like & Don't Want.

Check probability of discounts (& Trade-in value if replacing) -i..e. time of year, market strength / weakness, popularity of model(s). Show specials, etc., etc.

Then research what's available, have a look at those identified, (but not forgetting others that are similar, as they may replace original selection, once you actually view them)

Short list a few & then have another look, to find weaknesses in each of your selections. (Layout, fabric colour, ease of use & esthetics (exterior & interior)

Tear up original check list & start all over again. >:-) >:-)

RogerC - 2012-03-08 3:43 PM

Surely it has to be price relative to what you need?...therefore it's a combination of starting points.  First set your budget then decide how many people you need/want to carry and from there you can research the market.  IMO it's not possible to determine the 'most' important as an item in isolation.

I'd agree with that.

1) Price

2) Size

3) Layout

:-|

1, it must fit our drive.

2, it must come close to our ideal layout.

3, the maker must be renowned for quality and post-sales service.

4, it must be affordable.

If it fails on 4, I'll re-visit 2, but no others, and then revise the budget, or keep what we have.

Only then, will I worry about the dealer!

To my mind the base vehicle must come into it especially if you are looking for an automatic. Once you have decided that then you can look at panel van, coachbiult or A type depending on your budget.

The type of recreation that suits you alsoplays a part. Do you prefer local sites and all comforts or like to wander far and wide. If you prefer hotter climes then a MH that caters for that will be a factor. Many UK vans cater for home grown sites where rain and inclement weather are a common factor, where EU vans may also look at sites in high temperatures where most things are done otuside.

After all that the factor that influences me most is bed size/mattress. If you cannot sleep then no matter what else, the van is a failure.

Layout and Payload for us. We love the layout of our Kontiki. Big rear lounge and front dinette. Crucially it has enough payload (just) to take our rack and scooter on the back which I would never be without in a future van. This all limits our options somewhat.

Payload is crucial for long trips I think. Im amazed at just how many vans have poor payload. Its got to be one of the most important factors.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Ease of bed making ( preferably none, but two singles if we ever swap again ) but comfort top of the list.

Lack of conversion noise, ideally none.

Build quality, the above is normally a good indicator.

Car like driving experience, don't want to feel like I'm driving a truck, having done so for years.

Usable washroom, hate all public loo or campsite facilities.

OAL Moderator - 2012-03-08 3:35 PM

What is the most important consideration when buying a new (or newer) motorhome? Is it cost, layout, manufacturer, dealer, or something else?

The 'something else' would be to have a nice big fixed bed for the dogs to snooze on after their dinner!!! :D

Layout first definitely

Then a layout I can afford

Then you compare it to what you have and is it worth the change.

Where it comes from doesn't bother me really, I just interview the salesman if I like what I see then I buy if not I move on. Would not step over Brownhills door however, and that's with no past personal experience just don't like what I have read over past 5 years.

Mandy

As they say on Strictly, this is in no particular order,,

Layout, what do we need from layout. ie fixed bed, lounge, garage

Kitchen ... Fridge,freezer, hob with gas & electric, oven, room for microwave

Lounge.. Wine cabinet, when we said in no particular order, well this could be tops..! Heating

Cupboard SPACE for more wine,

Dealership for part x etc.. Reliable rep who follows up...

Each to there own but we love Brownhills especially over the last 2years we have found a remarkable

Improvement..

Well that's a start!?

Derek & Pauline

• 2 weeks later...
Surely for most of us there cannot be ONE most important, as it is a combination according to reuqirments, and sometimes compromise and experience. For us we have have some 5 motorhomes, and learnt from each one our preferences, but still according to our needs and budget.

• 1 month later...

1.Size must fit on the drive

2Payload won't accept anything less than 500kgs.

3 Good easily acessed outside storage for chairs etc.

4.Layout.Like 2 seperate areas even if one is very small.i.e fixed bed or lounge with a dinette.

• 6 years later...

My number one is layout and longevity of the same, as times changes so do your need so "think ahead" garage, lounge future kids grandkids?.

Secondly model and make, and this also takes care to a great extent of the cost element, "you get what you pay for" (generally),

And thirdly dealer network, check where your nearest is and any review, just incase you didn't get what you paid for, there's nothing worse than travelling the length of the country in order to get work done or faults sorted.

Things like size and place to store or keep it may also enter into the equation

Archived