Planning to buy?

Administrator

Planning to buy?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Tracker
Not a chance - why buy potential trouble and horrendous depreciation when the old one is nicely sorted just to sport a '60' number plate and try to impress the other club members!

Guest Tracker
Having seen the 'light weight' - aka flimsy - material quality of a new Autotrail - no worse than anyone elses by the way - I think the use of the word 'build' is stretching a point when compared to the construction of one of the older heavier models?

Having bought new last year, due to major change of circumstance we now have a motorhome with additional mods to cater for my wife's disability, it is now ideally suited to our requirements.

So hopefully it will still meet requirements for a number of years yet.

But it does not stop us looking :-D

We might find something new we can incorporate to further improve our van.

Have voted yes, but it won't be a 'Brand' new one,( new to me.)

Thinking of a 'Pre-Swift' and 'Pre-X250' Autocruise or a Pioneer.

No older than 2005, NOT a 'climb up anywhere' to bed.Want a seperate shower or a decent sized swing wall one(which WILL be used). A full oven(at a sensible height-NO 'Tech-Towers') and plenty of kitchen work space, and a place for two people to feet up lounge and read or watch tv when it's rainin.Not bothered about rear travel seats/seatbelts,NO 'Fixed Tables'. Must have Positive locking to all internal lockers.

That lot excludes most of the Foreign vans anyway. Would prefere a Renault,Merecedes or a Ford base but a 'Sevel' just before the change to the X250 will do. So, planning to buy ? yes,

But NOT what most of the manufacturer's are offering at the moment, and it isn't JUST the extremely high prices for a 'New' new van. :-( Ray

We have had our current van from new as it was, at the time, not possible to buy a van conversion or British coach built that fitted our requirements. We are now looking three years into the future and deciding whether to replace our current Burstner with a second hand van conversion or to go the tugging route as we now spend much more time in one place than we do touring. As above I would not consider a Sevel based vehicle, our current 04 Fiat has been OK so far but after the X/250 debacle and the manufactures response to their customers concerns we would not buy another.

As there seems to be a dearth of non-seval panel vans, (with the honourable exceptions of IH and Murvi) the answer is likely to be: "No" -- but -- if Auto - Sleepers were to produce a modern small coachbuilt -- similar to the Gatcombe or Clubman ( on the new T5 chassis) then I might well be very tempted -- but it isn't going to happen is it?

The wonderful Karmann Colorado 550 is probably out of my reach, sadly -- so we'll 'soldier on' until Renault, Ford, or, maybe the Japanese, come up with a viable alternative to the ubiquitous Seval juddervans!

Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

More Than Just A Plan ! Done It !

can't believe we did it ! at a Show (Western motorhome show), On Friday the 13th (????) On the Brownhills Stand, Our Perfect Van ...... what to do ???? checked it over, 1 owner, low mileage bit of haggling..... right price..... Always said I wouldn't buy at a show, and certainly not from Brownhills AND it's Friday the 13th. .... BUT we bought it.

So, watch this space, I'm expecting the worse, but I have been wrong before, Go on Brownhills prove me wrong. Ray

Congratulations Ray

Sometimes if the Van & the deal are right, you have to go with it.

Assuming from your previous posts it is not new so you won't have to endure 3 years with Brownhills.

Just make sure everything is shipshape before your warranty expires.

Happy touring

Thanks Flicka,

You are right it's not new, it's an Autocruise Starburst/Starlet2 on a 55 plate with 13,000 miles and in 'spotless' condition. I see that your van is an Autocruise too, are you happy with it ?

We did a lot of research online etc., before we decided which van's might be 'possibles' 2 were Autocruise's , the Stardream, the Starburst and the Autotrail Miami 'S' (two single beds), There were all three at the Western Motorhome show at Malvern. My Missus rejected the Stardream,(altough I liked it) The Autotrail was too expensive, and had an overhang behind the rear wheels as big as Australia (funny how photographs disguise things like that !). We were on our way out, feeling a bit disapointed when we spotted an Autocruise on the Brownhills stand (which we had originally bypassed....??) The young salesgirl was very friendly and quite candid when i mentioned 'problems',So, deed done ! More of the kids Inheritance spent. And a 22 year old 'Refurbished' Autosleeper for sale. (lol) Ray

Hi Ray

Sure you will enjoy your "new" van.

Built before Swift took over Autocruise, so should be upto their good reputation.

Tracker has a 56 reg Autocruise (Starspirit, I think) and speaks well of the pre-facelift models.

You are also in good company with TerryAcreman, who writes regularly in MMM. He has a pre-facelift Starburst.

Ours is the latest Peugeot model & fortunately or luckily, we have not had any "juddergate" issues.

Our problems have been :-

On-board charger failed (not the same as yours')

Starter battery failed after 12 months

Both replace under warranty.

Copra Alarm - replaced under warranty, but still not satisfied -hopeless, - we only specified a "Thatcham" alarm unfortunatey, so unless it fails again during warranty period, we will replace it then.

happy travelling.

Archived