Top motorhome cooking hint tips

Andrew MMM

Guest pelmetman

We do lots of one pot meals.............and usually to much so we have a thick soup for the next days lunch B-)

A very flexible recipe we often use in the skillet.....

One onion softened with smoked bacon lardons,

Add the meat..........Chicken or Pork,

Add garlic, chopped carrots, diced spuds, pinch of herbs........importantly a slug of wine ;-)

Fry for a few more minutes then pour in 300 mil of chicken stock

Replace lid cook for about 30 minutes then I like to add mushrooms.......cook for another 20 mins on low.....then add 2 or 3 dessert spoons of creme fresh allow to warm through.....don't boil or it will separate;-)

Then serve with some green veg :D

flicka - 2013-03-04 10:21 PM

Prawn Linguine (without the chilli, so the prawns are not overpowered)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1269/chilli-prawn-linguine

Quick, simple & delicious.

Whaaat?? Leave out the chilli.? Garlic chilli prawns with spaghetti and parsley is my favourite quick meal. Never in the van though because the smell lingers too long.

Pioneer Spices.They have a website.Not the cheapest but excellent and make what could be complicated dishes very simple.The newest Chermoula is fantastic with fish.Put a couple of teaspoons or to taste in a bit of oil and lemon juice.Marinate fish for 20 to 30 minutes then pan fry.My husband says this is the best fish dish he has ever had.

Andrew MMM - 2013-03-04 11:23 AM

To celebrate our 'foodie' April issue we'd love to know - your top motorhome cooking hints and tips - and your favourite meal to rustle up in 'van? (PS: pot-based instant noodle dishes don't count!)

Rats, just watched Top Gear in Africa and their food consisted of beans, beans and more beans. And they found the source of Nile as well.

Guest pelmetman

How to make 1/2 pound of stewing steak into a tasty pie for four....... :D

Had this yesterday at home but have worked out how to cook it in the camper ;-)...........first you need one UK camper with a proper oven >:-)..........plus a skillet or similar....

Put a table spoon of plain flour in a plastic sandwich back with a twist of pepper and salt, place your meat in and give a good toss :D....

Chop/dice one stick of celery, large carrot, large onion and garlic......

In the skillet add a oil and brown your meat, remove and then add the veg fry until softened, add a pinch of herbs bay leaf, then a glass of red wine replace the meat pour in about 300ml of beef stock and cook on low for 2 hours.............turn of and leave to mature overnight B-)......

Next day roll out some ready made shortcrust pastry, to line the bottom and make a lid for your pie dish.......

Then fry off some chestnut mushrooms in a little oil till they're reduced in size by a half, add to the warmed stew mixture......then with a slotted spoon fill the pie but not to much gravy, save the rest of the gravy for serving with the pie ;-).........dot the top of the pie with some blue cheese, then after wetting the pie edges with a bit of milk, put on the pastry lid and decorate with horns :-D......finish with coat of milk and place in a hot oven for 40 mins........serve with spuds and green veg.......proper grub B-)

Guest Peter James

Sounds Good, but too much work for me.

Just get a pressure cooker, then put in a carton of passata with your veg, meat, pasta, water, seasoning and boil. A full dinner in about 10 minutes, only one pan to clean, and hardly any steam in the van. If you are not ready for it then you can leave it, reheat it, if you overcook it you get thick soup - still just as good.

PS: Worth paying for a good pressure cooker - the very cheap ones usually only do low pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

i was given an electric hotplate thingy, i cooked a sirloin steak with mushrooms & tomatoes on it, its only 700w so quite good when on ehc it also has litte trays that go underneath for making cheese dishes but i put some oven chips in 3 of them, i have to point out that it wouldnt have tasted as good without the draught guinness (lol) it was also great for making breakfast but best is its easy clean & easy stored

were going away in the van for 4 days on saturday so ill have a look at the grill/hotplate thing & let you know its proper name (!) :$

jamie

jam151 - 2013-03-25 4:18 PM

i was given an electric hotplate thingy, i cooked a sirloin steak with mushrooms & tomatoes on it, its only 700w so quite good when on ehc it also has litte trays that go underneath for making cheese dishes but i put some oven chips in 3 of them, i have to point out that it wouldnt have tasted as good without the draught guinness (lol) it was also great for making breakfast but best is its easy clean & easy stored

were going away in the van for 4 days on saturday so ill have a look at the grill/hotplate thing & let you know its proper name (!) :$

jamie

Is it a Racalette Grill/

• 1 month later...

These biscuits are so easy to make and are only in the oven for eight min so ideal in the van.

Yummy Biscuits

100g Butter

100g caster sugar

200g Self Raising floor

1 tsp Golden Syrup

Preheat oven to 190 deg cream butter & sugar until light and fluffy, Add the floor & syrup and mix to a soft dough roll into small balls place on a baking tray and press down slightly.

Bake for 6-10 min until golden then allow to cool before transfer to wire rack

Don’t leave in the oven more than about 8 min or they will be too hard and they are better soft.

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2013-03-15 11:01 PM

Sounds Good, but too much work for me.

Just get a pressure cooker, then put in a carton of passata with your veg, meat, pasta, water, seasoning and boil. A full dinner in about 10 minutes, only one pan to clean, and hardly any steam in the van. If you are not ready for it then you can leave it, reheat it, if you overcook it you get thick soup - still just as good.

PS: Worth paying for a good pressure cooker - the very cheap ones usually only do low pressure.

OK cook it quick ;-)....................but let it mature overnight................its all about flavour B-)

• 2 years later...

Surprisingly I think we enjoy Prawn Linguine best, but using the Jamie Oliver recipe, with lemon, chillies and rocket.

There are innumerable close seconds - Ratatoile, Pasta Putanesca, Veg Curry and Prawn curry just to name but a few.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Risotto is always good and very flexible. You only need one pot. Sweat a few onions and garlic in butter or oil and break up some stock cubes with boiling water in a jug. Add the rice and gently, gradually stir in the stock solution a bit at a time, whilst continually stirring. Pour in some white wine left over from previous nights consumption! Chanpagne or Prosecco is good too, even lager beer!

You can add almost anything to it. Sea food, mushrooms, peas, any vegetables, bacon cuttings etc etc.... Strawberries with Prosecco is amazing!

Keep adding stock solution till rice has almost absorbed all liquid- Authentic rissoto is still quite firm and not soggy.

Finish off with lots of parmesan cheese. Serve on paper plates. Chuck plates in rubbish bin and only one pot to clean!

Repeat with different ingredients next day. And so on.....

Regards

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

When on our trips, one of my favourite dishes is Paella, as it's easy to make and only one pan to wash. Tend to buy the frozen pack of mixed fishes i.e. Prawns mussels etc and slice up a chicken breast. A pack of Paella rice, and chicken stock, and frozen pees to stick in towards the end, and a few spices.

And of course some nice crusty bread.

• 1 month later...

TOAST

You don't need a grill or a low wattage electric toaster. All this nonsense you read in the press reviews about 'lack of a grill' is rubbish.

Heat a dry frying pan on a gas hob for one minute. Chuck as many pieces of bread in it as there is space for. Wait a bit. Turn it over, wait another bit, and you have toast, a warm camper and no washing up and no electricity needed.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

My top motorhome cooking tip is simple.......go to a decent Restaurant or Snack bar! The only thing i've "cooked" in my van is a kettle of water for a coffee, and even that's only when necessary. The oven still looks like brand new.

I cook every day i'm at home so cooking when away is the last thing i want to do.

Archived