Watering the van

Administrator

Guest Tracker

We always travel with a full tank of fresh water because we often have no idea of exactly where we will be stopping or how many days it will be before trustworthy water is available.

For the same reasons, we top the tank up whenever the opportunity arises on our travels.

I've heard the age old argument about excess weight and fuel consumption blah blah blah, but for us the advantage and freedom of not having to play seek the tap for a day or two is well worth the extra ballast!

Site? What's a site? We refuse to be herded into compounds for the night with all the other white boxes!

We always have at least 1/2 tank of water when we leave home.

As my wife is disabled and availability of the on-board toilet at all times is a must, for us.

Too much palarver (? spelling) to find a stopping point, get the wheel chair out, get my wife out of the M/H & into the wheelchair, then find a queue at Services Toilets (non-disabled people using Disabled Toilets -especially Mum's with toddlers. >:-( >:-( )

Then reverse all the above, before we can get on our way again.

It also allows us to stop when we feel like a coffee break en-route. (although a small water container could meet this need)

We always have a full tank if going away for more than an single night, we rarely use sites, mostly 'off site' camp/wild camp (use whatever phrase you prefer!), so having as much water with us is a necessity.

flicka:

Then reverse all the above, before we can get on our way again.

... reminds me of the Red Dwarf TV programme where they visited a planet where things happen forwards ... and in reverse ... I'm sure you can imagine the situation with a toilet stop or two!!! :$ (lol)

Always have full tanks, top up from home and top up at any oppurtunity so that tanks are always full, we never know when and where we are stopping so like our three days of independant water.

Bas

Fill up on site !

While the kids are still with us, we always prefer to book ahead and are pretty much guaranteed water at the other end.

Can't see the point of lugging the extra weight of a full tank around at the moment, however we do tend to quarter fill the tank for use during the trip, when travelling down to France.

K.

Guest pelmetman
It varies... ......but we always have enough for a cup of tea, but is this a loaded question? :D

For a 2-night weekend on a site or CL/CS, I leave home with 56 litres in the combined hot/cold system then top up 14 litres on site on Saturday morning. For UK holidays with a pre-planned first stop I leave home with the usual 56 Litres. For a UK unplanned touring trip, or any overseas trip, I always leave home with the full 110 litres.

Bob

Generally only stay on sites (CC or C&CC) but still leave home with a full tank of water. As pitches cannot be reserved it is a first come first served basis and as we can only travel in Peak Season periods you can imagine the queues. As i have a large van and want a pitch where I can get a satelite signal it would not be practical to book in and then have to find the service point and fill up before finding a pitch.

If we are able to book a 'super' pitch then that is a different matter as we would have a tap at the pitch so only need to travel with minimal amount.

If I was 'free camping' or using small sites with minimal facilities then I would travel with a full tank.

As others have said, there will be those who will argue the 'Fuel Consumption' case, however, each to his own is what I say.

Archived