Your top tip

Administrator

Guest pelmetman

1.Buy your fuel at Tesco to get a cheap deal on the chunnel

2.Install a low voltage heater that can be left on all the time when on site and provide comfortable back ground heat.

3.If you have a small fridge, stock up with thin food with long dates eg Gammon steaks, Bacon.........and make up small portions of mince to fill the freezer compartment.

I like trackers reply, in a nutshell.

I try not to think about the money I spend on our Motorhome, it spoils the pleasure, and at our age life is too short to consider saving money. 'They'll' only take it off you when you get into an 'Old peoples home'

(lol)

Guest pelmetman
If you think campers are expensive you want to try a boat 8-).................................Someone once described it as standing in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes (lol)......................so very very very apt in my experience, as we once had both at the same time 8-)

My tip would be this.

Don't be too blinkered when it comes to your camping preferences, by that I mean sites.

I'll expand, I received a lovely PM from a person who'd only use CC sites in the UK and Castels in France, they were keen to explore the Municipal network I use.

They were honest enough to admit they had concerns about "stepping down" (my description), a bit but I convinced them they had nothing to worry about.

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-12-16 7:13 PM

Not quite Dave - a boat is a hole in the water lined with wood/grp into which you pour your money!

Not quite Rich :D......................As I poured money into it, and when I sold it the money I poured in wasn't there anymore :'(

Guest Tracker
pelmetman - 2011-12-16 7:19 PM

Tracker - 2011-12-16 7:13 PM

Not quite Dave - a boat is a hole in the water lined with wood/grp into which you pour your money!

Not quite Rich :D......................As I poured money into it, and when I sold it the money I poured in wasn't there anymore :'(

Ah but Dave - I never said the money was redeemable!!

Guest Tracker

The best way of saving money whwn motorhoming is not to join any clubs and never to stay on any sites anywhere as there are plenty of places to stay for free - you just need to note them as you pass when touring for future reference!

If you camp for say 60 nights a year at an average savings of say £10 per night that gives you enough 'free' diesel to cover about 2500 extra miles - luvly jubbly!

Guest Tracker
malc d - 2011-12-17 12:40 PM

Don't buy anything you don't NEED.

;-)

The trouble is you don't know that you don't need it untill you've bought it thinking it would be useful - and then never used it!!

My top money-saving tips?

1. Drive slower.

2. Buy an older motorhome.

3. Use Lidl bio automatic washing machine liquid in your toilet flushwater tank, and your poo cassette, instead of the ridiculously expensive Thetford rubbish, which gives black bits in the flushwater.

4. Don't divorce your wife. At least, not in the UK. Paying for a professional " hit" would be a LOT less expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
pelmetman - 2011-12-16 5:21 PM

If you think campers are expensive you want to try a boat 8-).................................Someone once described it as standing in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes (lol)......................so very very very apt in my experience, as we once had both at the same time 8-)

A boat and a cold shower????

Guest pelmetman
Tony Jones - 2012-01-05 10:56 PM

pelmetman - 2011-12-16 5:21 PM

A boat and a cold shower????

We sold it to a vicar who lived down your way Tony ;-)...................It wasn't you was it? :D

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure it would count as 'money saving', but surely the best tip is to make the most use you possibly can of the motorhome, travel as much as you can and just enjoy. If/When you come to sell, the depreciation does not seem to relate to the amount you have used it!

Guest Tracker
Whatever you buy just make sure that you wear the bloomin thing out before you pop yer clogs and thus deprive yer kids of a bit more of their inheritance!

Archived