Benaccassim Southern Spain

trotting by

My husband and I with 4 dogs recently took the advice of MMM article to visit the Benaccissim campsite in September . We were on our way to France from southern Spain and as we were passing thought we would have a look and see if we could do an overnight stop. As per usual we were unable to secure a mobile signal so couldn't phone before we arrived. On arrival my husband asked id there was space for us (our twin axle hobby and 4 dogs) We were told yes but park up go and view the 6 spaces left on site. This we did in blazing hot sunshine with hot dogs. When we went into the office to organise payment and formalities I was told they didn't take 4 dogs (fair enough!) but then the lady was very rude accusing us of 'wandering around without permission' and they wont be taking anymore than 2 dogs next year! etc etc. This was completely with out foundation the rudeness to hot travellers was unacceptable. OK they don't take 4 - something got lost in translation - what ever but really !! But the biggest reason I write this post is that actually I was alarmed by the cramped in and overcrowding of this campsite - is it safe if there was a fire I doubt that many would survive. I compare this to the beautiful run site at Souzac in western France. I do think this is a major issue in some of the Spanish campsites and one that needs addressing... we continued found an old TOTAL garage outside of Tarragona with a lovely manager and had the secure garden area to ourselves for FREE!

Archived