Long term in a motorhome.

old grey mare

:-D Hi, we are back to motorhoming following a long gap whilst we lived in France. We intend, from next year, probably March to drive around the UK. I shall do all the driving whilst hubby, following a stroke, will be passenger and helper. (lol) Any hints, tips etc.

OGM x

Good for you OGM and I applaude your tenacity and hope that all goes well for you.

If you are to use sites alone it will be flippin' expensive long term and maybe something like Brit Stops and Pub Stopovers will help along with some CLs and CSs from the two main clubs.

Have you chosen a van yet? It may be worth running it past the various experts on here when you have a layout in mind as long term even little irritations can cause major aggravation in a confined space - at least thats what my wife tells me!

Would it be fair to say that your OH feels the cold more now? In which case warmth may be very important as the days shorten, as will a decent bed?

Whatever your budget leave cash for some essential extras and try to have a good shake down trip before you set off too far from home to iron out the wrinkles - not you personally I hasten to add!

:-D We have bought a van, one which we have loved from afar from quite a way back. Tis a Hymer 634. Room for his nibs to stumble along, room for the 2 dogs which we could never part with- and-I can drive it and will do better following a motorhome driving course.

We are off having short trips throughout the winter and, as you say, ironing out wrinkles!! B-)

We have never used any thing fancy so I can't comment but Teflon do, or used to do, a range of non stick pans with folding handles that take up less space than conventional pans - and are easy to clean.

We did find a three tier pan steamer set worked well as you can do three veggies on one ring.

We did once try a pressure cooler and as long as you don't want to see out of the windows when it's pressuring away that worked well!

We used to use oven bags to roast in as it meant less oven cleaning!

And these toasters work a lot better than the pyramid thingys, use two and get a good flow of toast going!.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kampa-Crust-Stainless-Steel-Toaster/dp/B00BHW7CGU/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1530026055&sr=8-16&keywords=gas+toaster+camping

Archived