Scotland - North Coast 500

Steve_nuk

I'm quite new to motorhoming and I am planning a trip around the 'top' of Scotland, from the end of April. I have recently found the North Coast 500 route, which covers the coastline across the west, top and east of the North of Scotland.

Does anyone have experience of this route and if so can you share details of good places to visit and stay? I'm quite flexible and propose to deviate from the fixed route, so would be grateful for any information; nice camp sites, beach locations worth seeing and any places worth visiting. (Cafe's with nice cakes would interest my wife!)

Many thanks.

Steve

There's a nice campsite in Durness ( North West corner of Scotland ) called Sango Sands.

Site is quite exposed - on top of a cliff - with very picturesque beaches below.

Nice walk in the area along the beach and dunes of Balnakiel Bay.

Used to be possible to get a small boat across the Kyle of Durness and get a minibus ride to Cape Wrath.

Don't know if that trip is still available - I did read somewhere that there is now a small cafe in the old lighthouse at Cape Wrath - maybe someone else will know if that is the case.

Have a good trip..

;-)

p.s. Check out Sango Sands website - tells you more about restaurant / bar facilities.

hi steve we are registered on a site called scottish motorhome wild campers as we are doing the NC500 in september and october ,they seem a very nice bunch of people with lots to share, photos and tips that may be very useful to you ,my husband is taking great delight looking places up and deciding where to visit and has found the help he gets on that site brilliant.Happy motorhoming perhaps we will meet one day while travelling this lovely country of ours ,all the best Dave and Jane

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have a great time and I hope the weather is good for you.

As someone who is both a campervan user and a motorist who has to get from A to B in the Highlands routinely, can I ask , please that you keep an eagle eye on your rear view mirror and allow the locals to overtake when its convenient. There is nothing so frustrating for us than to have to follow traffic for miles at a slow speed while scenery is being enjoyed by visitors to the area. Many Highland roads are single carriageway with passing places. We locals have to go about our business, holiday time notwithstanding.

Take care not to deviate from the tarmac onto the verge as this can be very soft peat and you'll sink into it. Tow trucks are few and far between and mobile phone cover can be poor to non-existent here.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived