motor homing Norway

elejim

Hi I am thinking of doing Norway this June. I would like to go out of Hirtshals and into Kristiasand, we would like to do the fjords and then get up to Norcapp (if that is correct spelling).

Any sugestions on stop overs or campsites would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the madhouse!

Camp sites in Norway are, like everything else, very expensive!

The law allows you to park (not camp) almost anywhere at least 100 metres from the nearest house and where you will not be a nuisance unless a sign says otherwise and there are many recognised 'Aire' type stopping places as well as many unofficial overnighters - some of which are in fabulous locations.

We toured for 6 weeks in 2008 and only used one site and only then because we needed a laundrette and there are none in the Norwegian high streets. We later found that marinas are the best place for laundry and to get water and empty out and there are lots of marinas!

Distances are vast and the roads whilst not bad in the main are not fast motorways so it all takes time, but as this is a fantastic country with in the main very friendly, helpful and English speaking people, so why rush anyway!

I think Vicarious books do a book of Aires for Scandinavia and we would have used that had it been available. As it was the German Bordatlas and an ancient Camperstop book and a sharp lookout whilst driving sufficed. In the summer it does not get dark until very late so finding a stopping place is generally that much easier.

elejim - 2012-12-05 4:20 PM

Hi I am thinking of doing Norway this June. I would like to go out of Hirtshals and into Kristiasand, we would like to do the fjords and then get up to Norcapp (if that is correct spelling).

Any sugestions on stop overs or campsites would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Hi elejim and welcome to the forum.

I don't know how long you have got but bear in mind that it's quite a big country and most of the roads, through fjords and in the north, are not particulary fast roads.

(Also we found we stopped every few miles to take photos).

Some places that we camped on sites :

Flam - Flam camping

Eidsdal - Ytterdal camping

Going further north;

Harran - Harran camping

Tommerneset - camp site there is on an old site of German army barracks - most of the buildings are gone but the place is wired up for hook-ups.

Alta - Alta River Camping

We also camped ' off site ' at the Arctic Circle Centre - where there was plenty of room on a large tarmac car park.

Also at Nordkapp itself - vans park there along a cliff top to see the midnight sun. Although it's theoretically wild camping it cost us quite a bit to go through the tunnel to get to Nordkapp ( which is on an island ) and also to get through a toll booth when we got there.

Plenty of other oppurtunities to camp off-site up north in lovely surroundings.

NOTE that they are not so keen on wild campers ' down south ' where there are a lot more vans touring.

If you do have the time I would also recommend an excursion onto the Lofoten Islands, where we camped at Kabelvag and Lyngvaer.

Not a lot of filling stations around, and some close early evening so best to keep topped up when you can. We always topped up once we got down to half a tank - had no problems.

It's a few years now since we were there so I hope the info I've given is not out of date !

Have a good trip.

;-)

malc d - 2012-12-07 11:00 AM

Also at Nordkapp itself - vans park there along a cliff top to see the midnight sun. Although it's theoretically wild camping it cost us quite a bit to go through the tunnel to get to Nordkapp ( which is on an island ) and also to get through a toll booth when we got there.

Yes, it is expensive and so is everythingelse on sale at the Nordkapp - even by Norway standards, but you do get a 2 day pass to the Nordkapp at the toll so you can go in and see and come out to have a look around at what else there is - not a lot - but we found it bewitching in its stark desolation in places, and then back in again for a second night of midnight sun. Best seen in June/July which is also when all the roads should be snow free and open.

Also worth noting that some of the most scenic roads in the Fjord area can be closed by snow until early or mid June. Didn't see any closed roads up north.

Luckily we went there on the way back south and they had only just opened around June 15th.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi from Canada,

Last May I visited Norway in a Motorhome taking 3 weeks to poke about and discover my families history. I seldom visited restaurants which I found to be very expensive. The markets seemed reasonably priced with ample provisions if needed. Sign up for Norge AutoPass which will charge for the numerous toll roads and tunnels. Travel in Norway is slow so don't expect to make huge miles. The scenery is worth the slowness.

I crossed from Copenhagen to Malmö on the bridge. The campground I used in Copenhagen was in Dragor which is a spectacular coastal village. I used ACSI at the campsite which made it very reasonable. Copenhagen transit stops at the campground front gate. My experience there was wonderful.

My next stop was in Oslo for a couple of days. There I used the ACSI card in the campground next to the Holmencolen (sp?) to help defray the costs. Once again I used public transit to explore Oslo.

From there I traveled up the valley towards Lillehammer, Otta, Sel and other small towns. Incidentally there was a great battle between the Brits and the Germans. The museum in Kvam is small but excellent and focuses on the German battle and occupation.

I made it as far north as Alesund saving North Norway for another time. I choose then to travel along the coast spending time in campgrounds along the fjords. My favourite campground was in Gieranger but a large part of that was the "charm" of going over the Trollsteigen. I found Gieranger to be very lovely and quiet ( no cruise ships at that point). I took a tour boat to view some of the fjord. Wow!!! Spectacular. But you already know that.

Sogna Fjord was next. Once again I enjoyed spectacular views and beautiful campgrounds. The weather was brilliant, clear warm and sunny. I stayed at Sogndal using the ACSI card once again. A great campground with a wonderfully helpful staff. I could bike into the town to shop and get a flavour of the area.

Bergen is beautiful. And rainy!! Lol. I stayed at a campground that was very disappointing. The promise of WIFI was so attractive there that I chose to take a pass on the one I had researched. Big mistake. Wifi was only good if you were standing in the rain in the middle of a parking lot. I am drawing a blank as to the name. Bergen is worth a couple of days minimum. Explore the old town, the castle and experience the home of Grieg.

Stavanger was next. I found a busy city that was built on oil. I didn't stay long there and regret that decision which I will correct on my next trip.

A slow meander towards Kristiansund and the ferry to Denmark. I was sad to watch Norway disappear into the mist as we sailed towards Hirtsals.

• 1 year later...

We spent8 weeks last summer( mid may to mid July).

No need to use camp sites.A lot of the picnic sites have toilet points.

Stock up with as much non perishable food when in Germany,because food is very expensive.Diesel was about the same as UK..

6 weeks is the minimum I would go for,we are going again this summer and will be out for about8 weeks again.

English is widely spoken.

You are only allowed to stop at Nordkapp for 24 hours.It is expensive but a must do.

Apart from there we only paid to stop at one other place.

Top up with water and diesel whenever you can,don't let them get low.

We didn't visit Oslo where we heard everything was very expensive but at several place we stopped had coffee and a cake for around £5 each - not much different than UK.

We used several campsites, usually smaller family type ones, a couple of £ more than we would pay in UK but not extortionate. Gergainger charges no more than a typical UK site in high season. We used several marinas - some were free, others charged but in general they were good to overnight and we found facilities really good on them.

Our main source of campsites was http://www.camping.no/en/ - they will send you a free guide.

For other stops we used the Camperstops apps on our phones. You don't need to be emptying grey / black waste anywhere other than approved places - many garages offer the service for free if you were buying duel, or for a couple of Krona if not, there are plenty of approved motorhome Service Points.

One expense we did find was ferries - we are 5.9metres but have a bike bar, luckily every ferry bar one took us at the under 6metre rate. The ferry costs mount up fairly quickly but save some very long drives.

We adored Norway, people are very friendly, motorhomes are very welcome and the scenery it mind blowing. Hope you have a fabulous trip

:-D

Archived