Alternatives to Vango Airbeam electric pump?

michaelmorris

For several years I've used a Maplin 5 in 1 power station for a wide variety of uses including powering 12v equipment in the field (well away from our motorhome) and for inflating car tyres.

Unfortunately this power station recently gave up the ghost. Before I get a replacement I want to evaluate my range of options. We recently bought a Vango Airbeam awning and I was wondering whether there are any 12v pumps out there will double for inflating car tyres and inflating an airbeam tent. Does anyone know if there is anything out there that will do both?

I can't speak for tent inflating but for years I used a very cheap 12v pump for an inflatable dinghy and it worked well.

A tent or boat pump needs to shift a lot of air at low pressure whereas an automobile tyre pump needs to shift less air but at much higher pressure.

Whether you can get one pump to do both jobs I don't know but a high pressure car tyre inflator takes ages to pump up a boat and there is the very real risk of over inflation damage if you take your eye off of it as it nears completion.

Tracker - 2017-10-09 4:31 PM

I can't speak for tent inflating but for years I used a very cheap 12v pump for an inflatable dinghy and it worked well.

A tent or boat pump needs to shift a lot of air at low pressure whereas an automobile tyre pump needs to shift less air but at much higher pressure.

Whether you can get one pump to do both jobs I don't know but a high pressure car tyre inflator takes ages to pump up a boat and there is the very real risk of over inflation damage if you take your eye off of it as it nears completion.

Ideally I'd be after a digital pump that pumps up to a user-defined pressure then stops

Archived