Campsites in Northern Spain

andntrace

Hi, planning a venture into Spain in 2012 and sailing probably Portsmouth to Bibao or Santander and wondering if any of you know of decent family campsites in Cantabria? Asking now so we can do a bit of surfing and checking out on the web before we book. Any responses greatly appreciated.

Hi Andrew, welcome to the Forum

I would sugest that you post your question on the main forum i.e Motorhome maters, as you will get more response. You don't say what you are looking for exactly "Family ", what age children? Do you want all singing /dancing type site or quiet close to beach sites? Will you be going in High season or early /late ?

We stayed at a lovely site this year, quiet and close to beautiful beach, friendly staff, We intended to stay 2 nights but stayed 4, would have stayed longer, but were on our way home.

The place is in Galicia, at Barreiros. Camping Gaviota

There are many sites along the north coast, though if going early or late , it can be wet!

Try the main forum, and you will get lots of opinions

Pauline

• 3 months later...

Great area - we went late October generally because of the half term break then when the kids were at school. Therefore we stayed in villas.

Which incidentally - we found that with Brittany Ferries the fare for the return journey was more expensive than a "package" through their brochure that included the return journey AND the accommodation!

How they work that out I do not know - but it meant that a late in the year break was not only more affordable but very comfortable as well. Villa with a woodburning stove made for great evenings after a days walking.

We stayed just outside Potes usually and really love the region.

If you get a chance to do the canoe trip from Potes down stream - it is well worth it - a number of places in Potes will organise it for you and you go down in a group with a guide having been supplied with wet suits etc. We stop on a sand bar and had a lunch.

Can not possibly convey in words just how good this all was.

My point I suppose is do not just stick to the coast - as fantastic as it is.

Archived