Fousty smelling breathable groundsheet

nigelk

Hi all,

I have a breathable groundsheet that has been put away wet, and now smells rather fousty!

Anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of the smell? (^)

I've tried washing up liquid and a pressure washer, but this hasn't touched it!

Thanks

Nigel.

Sadly they do go "off" if you leave them wet and able to "sweat". 8-)

Best thing we found is to just hang them out in the fresh air, wind rain etc.

But to be honest - we found that once they go - it is hard to stop the smell completely.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peter Sharpe
I've been testing some Blue Bio odour eliminator, which has a very pleasant smell and certainly works on fabrics and carpets. It uses a bacterial action to neutralise the source of the odour rather than simply mask it, but I'm not sure if there is a chemical process at work on your groundsheet that might be resistant to it. Has to be worth a try though.

Guest pelmetman

Friends of ours put their breathable groundsheet in the washing machine. Mind you I think they have an industrial sized machine! If it will go in you could try it on a low temperature wash with a few drops of disinfectant.

Sue

We have a Carpetina ground sheet which is woven plastic and surprisingly breathable. However it has got quite mucky over the years so today I hung it over the fence and attacked it with the pressure washer and it came up surprisingly well! I think as much water went on me as it did on the groundsheet but unfortunately I have not shrunk in the process (lol)

David

If its one of those soft rubber type, soak it in a tub of biological washing powder/liquid (bold etc) for an hour or so, I also use some vanish.

When its dry add some sprigs of lavender when you fold it, smells ok & keeps the mozzies out of the awning

Paul

Archived