Gas choices for France

Papillon9

Hi all,

We intend taking our motorhome over to France this year, our first time. Can anyone advise on the most economical, suitable and readily available gas cylinders we should acquire and how many! for a 2 week trip.

We already have 2 x lightweight Calor Gas 6Kg cylinders. Would these be sufficient for the vehicle plus outside BBQ?

Your own experiences would be of great value. (And anything else you think we might need to know!)

Thank You.

R & J

:-D

Hello & welcome. If you're using hook up then you'll have way too much.

We carry the same 2 bottles (and use hook up) and really if I had a small camping gaz cylinder, I'd take that for the bbq rather than carry 2 cylinders, it's a waste of weight.

However, if you're going without hook up, I'm not the best qualified to answer but off the top of my head, I'd say you'd have plenty but over to the non hook up guys...

Martyn

Hi R & J and welcome to the forum

As Martyn posted - Motorhome Matters section of the forum will gets plenty of responces

Use the "search" facility above should bring up a number of related previous threads.

But a few to start you off :-

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25596&posts=1

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25307&posts=4

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25264&posts=21

I agree that for a 2 week trip 2 6kg cylindres should be more than enough. We stay away for 3 months at a time and 1 Calor 7kg butane and 1 Camping Gaz 907 was sufficient, unless you plan on using a lot of sites where there is no EHU.

If you are really worried swop a 6kg for a Camping Gaz 907, use that outside and refill as necessary. A refill in Europe is about €23-25 slightly more than here but not too expensive for convenience as you can get them in most big supermarkets.

By the way Camping Gaz only supplies butane so you would need a new hose.

• 3 weeks later...
Aye-up.. Don't worry to much about gas in France as their gas bottles fit the UK regulators. most supermarkets (Leclerc, Intermarche etc) will sell you a bottle without the deposit needed. Sometimes you may have to pay an euro for the service. How do I know ?????? I live in France...Griff *-)

griff 585 - 2012-02-15 8:00 PM

Aye-up.. Don't worry to much about gas in France as their gas bottles fit the UK regulators. most supermarkets (Leclerc, Intermarche etc) will sell you a bottle without the deposit needed. Sometimes you may have to pay an euro for the service. How do I know ?????? I live in France...Griff *-)

Hope the original poster does not take much notice of this reply, it is just wrong. Anyway i agree with others 2 x 6kg plenty for two weeks.

griff 585 - 2012-02-19 4:41 PM

Sorry to contradict , I changed a bottle within the last couple of weeks at Leclerc and the regulator bolted on with no problem... Which ever way come over to France and enjoy much more pleasant weather than my Mother land. *-) Griff

Griff, the great majority of UK vans use two bottles, one regulator, that connects to bottles via pigtails, these simply will not fit. As to the big supermarkets giving you a French bottle with no deposit, why would they. they have to pay deposits on them if a Brit turns up with no bottle to exchange they are going to charge you. Many can and do get around the problem but it is not as simple as you are trying to make out. Most of us travel all over europe, not just France, and their is no fixed standard which is why I and many others use Gaslow or similar.

As the original question was about gas in France I will not get drawn into an argument about usage in other parts of Europe . Expert from North Wales (1,000 miles away) knows much better than local knowledge so I will not be drawn further into comments helping on this topic. *-) Griff

Help! Lost alittle here Griff . Rupert simply pointed out you are wrong . Why in your mind does that make it an argument ,maybe just a disagreement . I agree with Rupert its not that easy and nothing is free in life in france as well. If you are really worried have you considered taking two x 13kg ?. just a thought.

griff 585 - 2012-02-20 8:10 PM

As the original question was about gas in France I will not get drawn into an argument about usage in other parts of Europe . Expert from North Wales (1,000 miles away) knows much better than local knowledge so I will not be drawn further into comments helping on this topic. *-) Griff

Griff I am actually 360 miles away. However leaving that aside you are as Michele agrees wrong. Now I have no idea how long you have lived in France but it would appear you do not know a lot about it. You make the assumption most on here no nothing about France but although I have never lived their I spent 10 whole ski seasons in the alps and have spent an average of five months a year in Europe for a few years now, a whole lot of that in France. I reckon I know my way around the country as well as most. Like others I do appreciate people like you, who live their, keeping us informed of the latest stuff but you need to check your facts before posting information. If you think I am wrong tell me why rather than going off in a 'huff'.

Archived