Hello from an old fashioned tent and Canvas fan

LittleSkink

thought I should introduce myself as I only joined the forum today (after finding it looking for something else). Seems rude to start wandering about reading posts and not at least saying hi - and hopefully I wont break any rules right from the off by posting stuff I shouldnt

My passion is for older tents and Canvas in particular. Though it all happened a little by accident, and seems to keep doing so

We stopped camping to have a family and only got back to it last year. Looking for a new 4 berth weekender (and through a convoluted track I wont bore you with) we ended up buying a Canvas Dutch Pyramid Tent from Holland for about the same cost as a plastic hoop tent in the UK

Young kids and Canvas are just perfect - cool in the heat of the sun so naps are not a problem, cosy, quiet and warm at night so great sleep. Pyramids are so weather resistant we (comfortably) survived storms in July 2010 that a lot of tents didnt

In order to learn how to get my fledgling business going I used google sites to build a Classic Tent website which eventually (and not planned) went public in April 2011 (as "Joy of Canvas") and already has a life of its own, which is great

And then I found myself putting together a (quite unnofficial) Cabanon Owners Club website as my orignal site was running out of storage

In terms of tents we have a Cabanon Antigua Frame Tent, a Hypercamp Eldorado Pyramid Tent and Cabanon Isabelle Ridge Tent. All Canvas and all great in their own way. My next aspiration is a Cabanon Chambord if we can find a really good one we can afford

Hi Little Skink,

Welcome on board.

Agree totally about Canvas, can't beat it (although it can be a tad heavy and bulky to transport).

I had a couple of Cabanon Canvas tents (Guadeloupe and Barbados) but i'm constantly changing my tents as i'm a bit of a tent tart *-)

I like the pyramid style tents but wife prefers tunnel type so i have to go with what the boss wants :-S

Currently have Cabanon Biscaya 370 Polyester, Sunncamp Elan 200, Easycamp Boston 400, Outdoor Revolution Scenic 5.0, Coleman Quartx 3, Vango Tempest 300 and Vango Tempest 200.

Cabanon for long stays

Elan 200 for weekends for me and the missus

Boston for 'boys' weekends

Scenic use a spare for family

Coleman and Vango are my wildcamping tents......... i like a choice ;-)

Nice to see keen canvas campers are still around !

We were canvas campers for around 40 years ( NOT stopping when we had a family ! ) but stopped about 8 years ago when we bought a motorhome.

The m/home is very convenient for touring but it just ain't camping !

When on sites now I still like to have a wander round and see what tents are around, so I must still be a camper at heart. Much closer to nature than a box with soft furnishings.

;-)

malc d - 2011-05-09 1:31 PM

Nice to see keen canvas campers are still around !

We were canvas campers for around 40 years ( NOT stopping when we had a family ! ) but stopped about 8 years ago when we bought a motorhome.

The m/home is very convenient for touring but it just ain't camping !

When on sites now I still like to have a wander round and see what tents are around, so I must still be a camper at heart. Much closer to nature than a box with soft furnishings.

;-)

I'm always sculking around campsites looking at other tents Malc but i do envy some of the Motorhomers for the warm, dry and quietness of their abode.

Looking at trying one of them Camping Pods as the season moves into the cooler months later in the year........... must be getting soft in me old age ;-)

Archived