In for a shock?

teflon2

Due to financial circumstanses we will be moving from an all singing and dancing 6berth motorhome to an 8person tent. We are both old enough to know better but enjoy the outdoors and intend to keep going untill we're not fit enough to do it. The modern tents seem to be large and well made (I first camped in an old bivvie) are these new fangled tents as easy to erect as they look and as they are so large is there any problems in getting a pitch ( ours will be 6.8mx2.8m ). I'm in the C&CC. so think I'll be O.K. there. John. *-) (?)

Guest Tracker

Had you considered a trailer tent as a sort of halfway point and also everything being a little less close to the ground?!!

They really are very pleasant to be in these days with most mod cons fitted and not needing so much lifting or carrying as tent camping?

We had trailer tent and it took us 3 hours to erect and was just too big, 45 and 30 year olds. , a folding camper was alot easier and once pushed up you didn't need the front on to live in just the basic would do which is a blessing if it is windy or raining.

The conway crusader is the one we would have gone for as it has a loo, we had the cruiser which does not. Obviously a bit more money but you get cooker,fridge, loo, fixed beds and somewhere to eat all thrown in to one unit and with storage to boot.

Good luck with your new venture,

Mandy

Thank you for your suggestions but it's definately going to be a tent. I would need to have a towbar and electrics fitted to tow a trailer and I see no reason to restrict my speed to the limits for towng and the ones I have watched being erected (don't all motorhomers like watching the antics of pitching) seem to be just as timeconsuming as tents with no real advantages. To be honest I'm quite looking forward to it as a new adventure after the years of turning up hooking up and chilling out. Perhaps I'm doing it the wrong way round but I always was a backwards cuss. John :-D :-D

teflon2 - 2012-06-27 7:48 PM

Due to financial circumstanses we will be moving from an all singing and dancing 6berth motorhome to an 8person tent. We are both old enough to know better but enjoy the outdoors and intend to keep going untill we're not fit enough to do it. The modern tents seem to be large and well made (I first camped in an old bivvie) are these new fangled tents as easy to erect as they look and as they are so large is there any problems in getting a pitch ( ours will be 6.8mx2.8m ). I'm in the C&CC. so think I'll be O.K. there. John. *-) (?)

John, you're in good company! My father in law and his wife started camping in their late 60s!!! 8-) They love it and have had various tents and by far have found the the 'classic' type with steel/metal poles and canvas material covering to be the best as they are easier to put up and stand-up to the wind better (less likely to billow or be noisy), and also keep the light out more so you don't get woken up at dawn!!! The more modern fibreglass pole ones can be an absolute pain in the bum to put up (believe me I've put up loads of them of all shapes/sizes/types!) and the quality differs immensely, go for a good 'waterproof' quality (hydrostatic head of 3000 or more) and check how well it is put together - how well the cords are attached for example, does the zip snarl on material etc. For comfort get one with a sewn in ground sheet as this is by far the warmest type as you won't get the draughts from under the sides which you'll get no matter how well you peg everything down with the non-sewn in type! As for tent size - you might have problems on some sites and/or get charged extra for having a big one! :D

I'd strongly recommend getting beds that are raised up off the ground as this makes quite a difference both in keeping you warmer and also easier to get in and out (seeing as you're no spring chicken! :-D ).

Keep an eye on the Tesco website as they keep 'dumping' their camping gear at the moment ... they were selling some £20+ sleeping bags off for £1.88 the other day!!!!! 8-)

Thanks for the interest I've now read every page in the C&CC big sites book and I was worrying needlessly the max unit size complete with awning for a standard pitch is 9mx5m which equals 45sq meters at 6.8x2.8 I'm less than 20sq meters so no worries. thanks again. John.

I have to admit you wont get us in a plastic tent, Canvas makes the whole experience so much better (in my view)

Used Canvas is remarkably affordable but if you want new then a Hypercamp Pyramid tent would be one suggestion. We have an Eldorado but if you want more space Palamos 6 is pretty big

http://www.obelink.co.uk/

Pyramids are real easy to put up (massively easier than most modern plastic tents), very storm resistant (Dutch call them Stormtenten) and even hold their value

Archived