Jack Wolfskin

Guest Kilroy

Hi Kilroy, Not got personal experience but I've checked a few forums and people seem to like them. The best direct comment I can quote is.... "Seen good reviews about these tents. Last year Camping magazine reviewed the Flexibility RT and it passed with flying colours. The SouthforkRT can sleep up to 7 people, weighs in at around 12kg, Tunnel and has great ventilation ports." HTH Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kilroy
Hi Pete, As a subscriber to the magazine, it was there where I read this review and got me thinking that they were a good tent. Have ordered the Ocean View version and should have it before Easter.

Guest Berni
Hi Kilroy....I am also considering the Ocean view and would be interested on what you think and how much you paid, the cheapest I have found is £440 from a Scottish outlet. I also have been assured it is a breeze to put up and that my gender and height should not be an issue. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kilroy
Hi Bernie, Just back after four days in the new tent, Ocean View II RT. Five of us and the dog. Windy when we arrived but it was easy to put up. We put it up in the garden the day we got it, the usual thing. Very roomy, coming from a Cabanon Eloise frame tent. Very light, 17kg compared to 42 odd kg for the frame. Packs down to a very small package. Very airy and light due to the light colour of the material. We have EHU and it looked superb lit up at night, like a massive glow worm amid all the white boring caravans. Great selection of doors and windows on the tent. Ventilation brilliant at night. Roof can be opened, meshed or closed. Diameter about 2 foot or something. Brilliant. Dried out this morning rather quickly after last nights rain. Yeah, I saw it at Outriggers for £440. I got it imported into Ireland from the factory in Germany in a few days for €695, about £500. Going to get the sunshade / tarp next week for the summer. It's easy to put up. Thread the four aluminium poles into the sleeves. Secure pole ends in the rivets. Put one peg in rear of tent. Pull up, pram hood style and peg down at front. "Jump" poles into position and peg down. Crack open a tin!

Guest Berni
Great news as I took receipt of my Ocean View ll RT with Front Porch yesterday from Outriggers having just got back from my camping weekend at Chipping Norton in my old Khyam Super Vis-a-Vis. I can’t wait to get the Wolfskin up. Judging by your previous tent being a Cabanon you obviously know your tents....as far as canvas goes Cabanon is A1. My other Family tent is a Raclet Kenya, a 5 birth canvas she’s a heavy lass but I could never part with her and will still use her each year for my trips of ten days or more as the old canvas does stand up to the Grandchildren, UV rays and unpredictable British weather better than most poly’s and nylon tents. I must admit I was very tempted by the Eureka Tunnel Vision Grand RS but the floor and slightly cheaper cost of Ocean View did it for me. I also have a Khyam Traveller, Coleman Manatou 2 and Manatou 3. Even had a VW Devon Moonraker Camper Van for a few years but it just didn’t rock my boat......can’t beat that ‘back to nature feel of tents.

Guest Alan Kilroy
Did you get the Wolfskin catalogue? Going to get one of the sunshades / tarps also. Your views on them? Don't want to get fried in the French sun this summer. They're cheap and very light. we'll either get the 4 X 4 metre one or the door extension job. Not sure yet.

Guest Berni
Yes the catalogue arrived eventually, not too impressed as expected a bit more technical detail. I opted for the Front Porch (currently mispriced on the Outriggers website for £79 instead of £90 so got in quick before he kicks his son-in-law up the arse to correct the error)......Outriggers website had a photo of the Front porch connected over the side entrance of a Family Wolfskin and it looked really good, I also liked the idea of an outside area to cook under that provided more shelter than the built-in veranda. Another reason I went for the Porch is that in this country most sites charge you extra for additional erections including separate awnings, as this one fits neatly over the top of the tent I think I would get away with extra charges. Finally I didn’t want to fuss about getting extra poles and this one comes with everything. The only thing I would say is a 4x4 would give you greater flexibility on day trips without the tent. I have yet to erect my new addition (hopefully this Saturday) but as soon as she’s up I’ll drop you a line.

Guest Berni
Forgot to say the other reason for going for the porch is that I’m a bit of a fresh air freak and the design of tunnels makes them a bit of a nightmare when there’s a light shower and the door is rolled up, particularly over a Bathtub floor which protrudes, the Front Porch affords me a dry floor at such times.

Guest Alan_Kilroy
Actually, my wife was of the same opinion about the front porch. Must go back to Outriggers and look that one up. Like the idea of all the poles coming with it and the fact that you can attach it to the side entrance. Post and tell how you got on. Cheers.

Guest Berni
Hi Alan, Managed to pitch her this weekend......a windy open area was not the best introduction neither was the amount of static cling and trying to prise her apart. Surprised at no instructions, no guy ropes to secure veranda when supported on the poles. Also where are the extra gear storage pockets? Apart from the sewn in one in each of the bedrooms. I also was unable to get everything back in sack and have now chosen to carry poles and pegs in a separate bag. I also seem to have a small 6inch piece of pole that I have know idea where it came from or its function and your advice would be gratefully received if you know. The Porch did not afford the amount of side edge cover I would have wished for and I have doubts to the amount of rain it would keep out/off the floor in the event of a shower when the door is rolled up but It does certainly add that additional sun protection and a place to eject any smokers from the interior, not to mention a wee bit of ‘snob’ appeal as it enhances her appearance. Cooking under the tarp! Well only time will tell as my first camp with her isn’t until the Newbury Show in May. Loved her colour, the zips to drop the sides of the bathtub groundsheet in sections and the storage at the rear of the bedrooms fantastic for luggage, clothes, bikes, recreation equipment, a toilet or even as a bedroom for an extra guest. Perhaps the skylight is a bit on the gimmicky side for me but you never know laying there looking at the stars and running a betting tab as to when the first birds dropping will cause a direct hit could be a new amusing pastime.

Guest Alan Kilroy
(1) Instructions I gathered off the website (JW). Just slide the poles through and pull up. Did you not try it at home first? (2)Thought they were the storage pockets in the bedroom? (3)I also put the poles n pegs separately. Life is too short for stuffing mushrooms. (4)Think the small 6 inch pole is for botching up a pole breakage, should it occur. Type of splint. (5)"The Porch"? Is this the additional porch you bought? (6) Yeah, the rear storage is too good to believe. We left the camping wardrobe at home for the first time. We couldn't even fill the area. Brilliant. (7) Just like the skylight for ventilation, cuts down of condensation. Recommend one of the large sunshades then? Still reckon I'll get the 4 X 4 version and a couple of poles. Oh, yeah, with the side door propped up with the additional poles I just pulled off a couple of guyropes from the side and used them. Must get more guy ropes though.

Guest Berni
Hi Alan, Yes I had viewed the instructions on the website, just thought it strange not to cater for the technophobes (I would have liked an inventory to tick off) and my trial was on common land at my parents cottage not at a camp......have never been one for not testing equipment prior to camps or at the start of the season. Found one extra set of pockets to attach outside the bedrooms but sure there should have been two. Thanks for ‘splint’ advice, should have known as my Coleman Manatou has this. Yes ‘The Porch’ is the additional one I purchased, Probably would recommend the 4x4 version....may even treat myself to this next year, after all these motor homes are taking more and more room up on sites nowadays so I shouldn’t feel guilty on spreading out a bit myself lol. I think I will drop a line to Wolfskin regarding the Veranda Guys as this seems a silly omission to me when they include the poles. I also would like to recommend they change the toggle fastenings to the ball design which Coleman use, sooooo much easier. Happy Camping to you and yours mate.

Guest Berni
PS...strange the bottle of seam sealant!!!! surely sealed at time of manufacture with a tent of this quality!

Archived