Northumberland?

Keith Chesterfield

We have stayed at and enjoyed the Camping and Caravanning Club sites at Bradnell Bay and Dunstan Hill. The Beadnell site does not have hardstandings or electric hook up but it is just across the road from the sea on the edge of the village and close to Seahouses.

There is also a Caravan Club site at Spittall which is on the southern side of the River Tweed with Berwick on the north bank. We haven't stayed there but i assume it willl be of the usual CC standard.

A few years ago we visited a private site in Beadnell that was nestled amongst the sand dunes and had direct access to the beach. It was accessed via Beadnell Village, where there are 2 site entrances together, the left one of which was the site in question. At that time the amenities needed updating, but the site itself and the location were spot on. Unfortunately I can't recollect the name of the site.

We stayed at CC Dunstan Hill late last season, which was lovely and only 20 minutes walk (or a shorter drive) from the excellent beach.

Once on the beach, north takes you to Newton By The Sea, with "The Ship" pub (they only accept cash !) and south takes you to Dunstanburgh Castle, which is well worth a visit.

Depending on what you need from a site, there is "Seafield" in Seahouses, which is just across the road from the beach.

It's not cheap and mainly caters for static caravans, but has a number of fully serviced pitches available, with access to their indoor pool, jacuzzi and sauna facilities.

The site also own the seafront restaurant of the same name, which is located close to the entrance and has been locally recommended to me.

We are trying both out for the first time this weekend, after the kids get in from school and can let you know what they're like, on our return next week.

Ps. It might be worth asking the Mods to move this across to the Motorhome forum.

Blizzard - 2010-02-12 10:06 AM

Ps. It might be worth asking the Mods to move this across to the Motorhome forum.

I appreciate that the OP specifically asked about motorhomes but this information on sites in Northumberland is useful for all campers be it tent, caravan ot motorhome. If anywhere it should go into Site Speak section. I think the fault is that this forum could do with some more specific forums for things like Campsites both here and in Europe to encourage a wider participation of all campers. Sorry to whing! I have asked Admin a couple of times about creating better section but never get a reply!

David

Klyne - 2010-02-12 11:39 AM

I appreciate that the OP specifically asked about motorhomes but this information on sites in Northumberland is useful for all campers be it tent, caravan ot motorhome. If anywhere it should go into Site Speak section. I think the fault is that this forum could do with some more specific forums for things like Campsites both here and in Europe to encourage a wider participation of all campers. Sorry to whing! I have asked Admin a couple of times about creating better section but never get a reply!

David

David,

I agree that the info could be helpful for all types of campers, however I for one don't always check out the other areas of the forum, and admit that had I not noticed the "Northumberland " heading on the opening page, I would not have opened the camping section up on that occasion and would have missed the opportunity to offer my two penneth worth.

It may be my impression alone, but the motorhome section seems to be a good deal more active than the camping section, so if the OP is looking for a motorhome related answer, it remains my opinion that his question would be better served in the motorhome section.

Update on Seafields !!

Not long back from our 3 night stay and although expensive, we are planning on another off season visit - If only for the pool, sauna, steam room and gym facilities.

The toilet & shower facilities were amongst some of the plushest we've ever experienced and the only down side for us was that the Seafield restaurant has now closed down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! As a new user and camping enthusiast I thought I'd introduce myself and get stuck right into some topics! :-)

My family and I tend to do a fair bit of camping Northumberland way and a personal favourite has been Riverside Contry Park. Pretty good amenities and has a nice scenic bike ride to a close by market town of Wooler. For those extra nice days we head to the nearby coastal line for a bit of beach cricket! :-)

Always find these guys helpful if we're looking for somewhere new: http://www.northdales.co.uk

They is also Yellowcragg C.C.site and I dont think anyone has mentioned Haggeston Castle :-S the latter might be pricey though! you should be able to google camping sites in Northumberland they is quite a few of them.Oh also they is a site that you pass on the way to North Berwick that overlooks Bass Rock I dont think you would need to book that one we didnt and stayed a couple of nights.

maggyd - 2010-03-02 8:54 PM

Oh also they is a site that you pass on the way to North Berwick that overlooks Bass Rock I dont think you would need to book that one we didnt and stayed a couple of nights.

You have strayed there into Scotland, having left Northumberland far behind!

mel wood - 2010-03-02 9:33 PM

maggyd - 2010-03-02 8:54 PM

Oh also they is a site that you pass on the way to North Berwick that overlooks Bass Rock I dont think you would need to book that one we didnt and stayed a couple of nights.

You have strayed there into Scotland, having left Northumberland far behind!

Oh well there you go :$ thats typical of me!! Geography never was my strong point!! whats a Border between friends??

Archived