Too old ????

DebbyM

Hi all, totally new to this posting lark so apologies if I’m on the wrong bit :)

Myself and hubby are looking at maybe trying camping in a tent for the first time but get all sorts of strange looks & comments when we tell people. I know it’s a weird question but is this sort of thing only for the young uns or can a pair of middle agers (mid 50’s) join the fun. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful :)

Never too old to do what you want to do. As long as you are fit and don't mind putting up with the weather, and the basic living in a tent.

we met a couple in their late sixties touring on BIKES and camping in a tent, in northern Spain a few years ago. Now that is basic, as they only had saddle bags to put everything in.

Personaly for what you pay for camping equipment these days, I would go for a cheap caravan, at least

I like a proper mattress to sleep on.

PJay

DebbyM - 2017-10-27 10:36 PM

Hi all, totally new to this posting lark so apologies if I’m on the wrong bit :)

Myself and hubby are looking at maybe trying camping in a tent for the first time but get all sorts of strange looks & comments when we tell people.

I know it’s a weird question but is this sort of thing only for the young uns or can a pair of middle agers (mid 50’s) join the fun. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful :)

Age is a relative thing - and as far as I'm concerned YOU are still young 'uns - and I see no reason why you shouldn't go camping ( i.e. in a tent ).

We camped for over 40 years and I wish I was still able to do it.

Incidentally - in all our camping years we got funny looks and comments from people - but I preferred our free wandering around Europe to their packaged , regimented holidays in hotels.

.......and once you get into caravans and motorhomes you get much more expense - and weights - payload - height restrictions - and difficult parking to put up with !

( But it is a bit more comfortable - for us old folk ).

Good luck - whatever you decide to do !

;-)

PJay - 2017-10-28 8:21 AM

Never too old to do what you want to do. As long as you are fit and don't mind putting up with the weather, and the basic living in a tent.

we met a couple in their late sixties touring on BIKES and camping in a tent, in northern Spain a few years ago. Now that is basic, as they only had saddle bags to put everything in.

Personaly for what you pay for camping equipment these days, I would go for a cheap caravan, at least

I like a proper mattress to sleep on.

PJay

I should have said. You are not old, my "kids" are 53 to 60 years old !!

So you are definitely young ! Old starts at 80 mow, with so many people reaching 100 years.

PJay

A big thankyou for your replies :) Wish I could afford to get a little caravan / motorhome but alas not just yet however we’ve decided to take the plunge and holiday under canvas and as the saying goes ‘you’re never too old to try something new....just remember the woolly socks’ :D Thanks again x

• 2 months later...

Before investing cash on an unknown Debbie, ask around friends, work colleagues, etc., to see if anyone would lend you one for a weekend. Alternatively have a "Google" for tent hire or "canvas holidays.

Either option would give you the opportunity to test drive before you buy.

They will also give you a better insight s to what YOUR requirements would be regarding space & equipment.

Then browse the likes of EBay as there is usually a good selection of little used camping equipment where people have bought "All the gear" only to find it's not for them.

Go for it say I too!

Age is no barrier but health can be so go it for while you can and explore as much as you can while you can!

It might pay to bear in mind that evrything can be a ground level when you first camp and your legs and back might tell you that you need more tables etc to get things closer to the ends of your arms!

Also the floor is quite hard to sleep on so a good airbed can make nights more comfortable, and with the addition of two sleeping bags (with fitted cotton sheets to reduce laundry and improve comfort) where it all zips together as one large bag can be really snug!

Many of us use a 'Duvalay' or similar, expensive and quite bulky but very comfortable!

• 3 months later...

Archived