camping northern Spain then up to st Marlo before going home

sandra parry

Hi we have 16 days after landing in Santander before reaching St Marlo. This is our first adventure in our VW t5 camper. Can you give us some ideas of areas to visit in Northern Spain the Alpes, and back up through France. Ideally we would like small campsites near beaches or pine forests, have you any tips ? for first time camping abroad, do I need to book sites in advance going early June have I enough time to enjoy this trip? anything will be appreciated many thanx.

Hi,Sandra, and welcome,

I am afraid that if you leave your 'post' on here in the'Tent Camping' section, none of us motorhomers/campervanners are likely to see or answer it.( I only did by accident) If I were you I should transfer (or rewrite) it onto the 'Motorhome matters' section of this forum.

By the way -- I take it that you mean:- 'St. Malo' and: the'Alps' (!)

What on earth is a thanx? ( an army vehicle? :D )

As I don't take my 'van abroad, I am unable to help you further, but I'm sure that other experienced 'vanners will.

Cheers,

Colin.

Guest pelmetman
At that time of year you wont have any need to book ;-).....................Green Spain is a real gem , I'd just turn right and wander along the coast B-)

As has been stated good idea to move to motorhomes section.

Welcome anyway to the forum.

Northern Spain is nice in June as long as it.s dry, the rain should be finished (hopefully) by June As you like beaches I would keep to the coastal roads up to Brittany, some lovely places. No need to book, as school hols not started then.(which is why we go May/June) If you want camp sites, I would get the ACSI book, (discount card included) which gives you good sites at set prices inc electric. Vicarious Books should have some still.As you only have 16 days, I would plan your route, and not just wander, as most of us seem to do, who have 2 to 3 months for our travels

Have a good trip, a real experience your first trip

PJay

• 1 year later...

Just found this post by accident as well. What a brilliant trip you are going to do!

If you get a chance to turn right as Dave suggests you can go along the coast and then up to Potes.

Lovely town with a great market. You can also go for a trip in Spanish built Land Rovers

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=santana+4x4+land+rover&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Btx8U4DHMsuv7AaFl4H4BA&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1249&bih=653

from the market place into the mountains along the "Jeep Trails" - a nice bit of gentle off-roading that gets you to see some stunning scenery.

I would also recommend the Cable car ride Fuente de :-

If you are brave - you can ride up and walk down!!!!!

If you are driving back along the coast Santander is worth a look - so much more than just a Port.

Bilbao is nice too but I have not spent a great deal of time there.

Across the border into France and Biarritz and its coastline is superb. If you like beaches with those wonderful forests just behind then along the Atlantic coast gives a great chance to enjoy this.

Royan is well worth a visit - but sadly we have never visited any of the islands - but many people have said how wonderful they are - so this is a sad omission on our part and something we have plans to put right come retirement.

We always come back via Cherbourg/Poole and as I am a bit of a WWII anorak - I visit the Tank museum which is not only a pleasant revisit - but also they update things regularly and so there is usually something new to be seen.

http://www.euro-t-guide.com/See_Coun/France/F_C/F_See_Tank_Museum_Saumur_1-1.htm

You are doing a great trip!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Archived