new to walking

tinkerbell

Hello all Myself and my boyfriend have recently started walking and we are planning to complete the Wolds Way trail this time next year. We live in sheffield and are looking to explore the peak district. Was wondering if anyone had any good tips for gear and walking in general to share with us. Thanks :-D

• 1 month later...
Light-weight breathable jackets, Gore-tex if you can afford it. Because you are near the Peaks you should have out-door gear shops that will advise you. Otherwise do a GOOGLE for the 'outdoor shop' in Stony Stratford near milton keynes - see if they have a web-site. Millets is another good starter. Binoculars are a must! Learn to use a compass for those very wet/foggy days. Go up to Mam Tor and ask other walkers where they get their gear from. We used to take our cocker up Mam Tor, she loved it! I'm heavily into Blue John ;-) Did you go yet?

• 1 month later...
I've recently been on a site called lasseswotwalk.com, it's sell outdoor clothes for women and they are based in Sheffield, not that that matters when it's an online store!! There was some nice gear on there though, good prices too, that's what you need when you're buying the lot striaght off. Don't pay silly prices for just the name, some are very good and some are just over priced. Good luck with the walking, keep it up! :->

• 4 weeks later...
Try the c2c web site on www.coast2coast.co.uk.Go in forums then general chat. You will have to register for free to ask questions about lightweight gear,camping and long distance routes such as the wolds way. If you are more specific about the gear you are likely to need I will gladly answer them ,i.e are you backpacking as accomoddation on the wolds way is not brilliant, so I would suggest camping.

My mate did the wolds way in stages, his wife picked him up at the end of each day.The reason he did this was due to the lack of accomodation on route and lack of campsites. Accomodation is available but you have to walk off route about 3-5 miles,which could tax your strength as you have to get back to the trail the next day.You could wild camp,though it is illegal unless your above 2000 feet ! Have you thought about the Dales way instead,walking from Ilkley to Bowness on Windermere.Or the Cleveland way,The coast to coast path,all in easy reach of where you live. *-)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi. Did you get your gear?

As sugested by others, Mam Tor is a brill first time out walk. All the walks aroung Castleton are very good to superb for a novice walker; also there is a brilliant 'outdoor' shop in the square in Castleton. Very good with accurate advice and not bad prices.

Don't buy everything at once, get some good - not necessarily expensive - boots, make sure you are happy with the comfort and the fit, get some lightweight waterproofs and a couple of light fleeces. A small ruck sack to carry your food and drinks and just walk.

As you travel talk to people, you pick up all sorts of good advice.

• 4 months later...
We have just started walking, its fantastic we did not buy all the top name stuff but we did spend a bit on our boots the first walk we did was ingleton waterfalls, then we went up to the lakes about a month later this country is fantastic so much to see.

Archived