Dogs and camping

Administrator

Dogs and camping  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should dog owners pay a refundable bond to ensure they keep their dogs under control?

Vote now and let your views be known - are badly behaved dogs and indifferent dog owners making camping life a misery? Do dogs make midnight raids on your tent, jump up at you and foul your pitch? Or is your canine friend your best camping partner and you are fed up of bad press? Our poll – dog owners should answer for their pets’ actions and be charged a bond that would be returned if the pets are kept under control.

Guest Tracker

Charging a bond for taking a dog on a site smacks of big brother control freakism and although we don't use many sites we would use even less if this ever came about universally.

It might well also prove to be impractical to operate and/or unnecessary as the site owner already has the ultimate sanction of asking an offender to leave without refund.

The main problem is secret after dark dog walkers with no lead and little interest or control over what their dog(s) does and where and a bond would not deter them as nobody ever sees them.

On the other hand for families with no dogs and with small children who are not too keen on dogs I can see the benefits of your children being safely outside playing without fear of being visited by dogs whether it is to simply say hello or to play, or for the various other worst reasons associated with our canine companions.

How about dog free zones on sites where no one with a dog will be pitched and dog walking is not allowed?

How about child free zones too where no one with children will be pitched and kids whizzing round on bikes is not allowed?

How about a damage bond for longer stayers so that when they take up their awning and leave a bald patch of slimy dead grass they pay a penalty charge?

How about a discount for a motor home with just two people that arrives at 5.00pm and leaves at 9.00 am without having used any of the facilities?

Well Said Tracker, from my experince on sites, its the some adults and their offspring that cause more problems then dogs ever do.

Once back-backing with my son who was about 14 at the time, we were absolutly 'cream crackered' after a very hot day walking with full kit, called into this site ready to get something to eat and crash out only to be told that all male groups were not allowed. After a bit of pleading, they agreed we could stay if we paid a behaviour bond!!! Was glad that it did not include loud snoring!!!

Guest Tracker

Good though Kev - hadn't thought of that!

How about a separate area for those wot snores - better still send them to Outer Mongolia where the generator brigade should all be sent - over the hill and far away - with luck!

Okay, what about a bond then for people staying on site? if they cause problems/offence/are loud etc, etc, for their neighbours or others in site maybe they should not be given their bond back ...

Basically I can't see the point in a bond, all it would do is cause lots of extra hassle for the wardens, who, as Richard said, already have full control on who stays and who goes anyway. If someone is causing a problem, be it their pets, kids, or themselves, then the wardens can already deal with it so what's the point of a bond really?

Just do as many European site seem to do, and politely say, "sorry, no pets", or else charge extra for them.  In any case, how could such a scheme be implemented?  Apart from the two UK "clubs", and a few largish chains, most sites are independently owned and run and set their own rules over such matters.  It is the site owners who will decide their policy on pets, and no-one else.

Utter rubbish, you cannot say no to pets, just because a few individuals are irresponsible dog owners, the same could be said of parents, with out- of- control children, to class them all together, including the good children. I own a small dog, I pick up his mess, I make sure he is not a nuisance, I always walk him on the dog walks, and I ensure he does not bark and make a nuisance, of himself, because I am a respnsible dog person. I have had 3 dogs altogether, and they never were a problem ever. So leave it to the site wardens, to sort out, if someone is being a nuisance irrespective, then they must be told to pack up and leave.

schnauzers4us - 2008-12-28 4:32 PM

Utter rubbish, you cannot say no to pets, just because a few individuals are irresponsible dog owners,

I'm afraid a lot of sites do, a few experiances of bad owners and the site owner is likely to ban dogs.

We have two large dogs and they are well trained. AND I agree that most dogs are better behaved than most children! (and I have got into trouble for saying THAT before!)

However - we have seen a dog owner send his dog out towards our pitch off the lead (against site rules) when he thought we had both gone out! - In fact I had just taken our thetford cassette to the disposal point in the car as my back was really bad - I came back to find the owner apologising to my wife and my wife giving the owner one of our poo bags as this guy admitted he had none!

So we then new the culprit that was not picking up!

He was quite happy to send his dog over to my pitch which was obviously attractive to his dog due to our dogs being there and let his dog crap right by our awning! He was given a stiff talking too by the warden and we had no further trouble – but the cheek of it!

That sort of irresponsible owner should be dealt with and I personally do not mind the idea of paying a small "bond" for my dogs as they are well behaved.

But as I say - such an idea really should be extended to children. (lol)

I agree bolero - but sadly I have witnesses some dog owners deliberately flouting the rules and then not picking up the poo they allow their dog to leave behind.

My feelings are that if all dogs were looked after properly and all owners were responsible and picked up after them the debate would be a non-starter.

But we live in a world were some deliberately wish to ignore what is right and sensible and just want to take the easy option. Hence as a dog owner of two large dogs myself and having had a number of experiences of the irresponsible dog owners giving me a bad name, I am all for a good behaviour bond. I have no problem with that at all.

Guest Tracker
bolero680fb - 2009-01-12 5:52 PM

i own 2 large dogs and they travel with us all the time my answer is if you have a problem camping alongside these furry friends find yourself a campsite that don't except them as i get fed up with non dog owners tiring dedicated dog owners with the same brush.

That is not a very nice attitude Bolero now is it?

Surely we can all live together in peace and harmony and why should non doggy folk have to find a non doggy site.? It's not the dogs who are the problem it's the owners and non doggy campers also have the right to camp in peace without intrusion - and extrusion.

When we pitch next to a non dog liker we just make darned sure that Rosie does not wander off in their direction at all, once we know, as we respect their right not to like dogs near them and to have their own space.

We too get used to non doggy folk assuming that all dogs will mess on their pitch and you really can't blame them for thinking that given the ongoing attitude and history of bad owners for allowing their dogs to do just that when they think no one is looking or when it is dark - and we've all seen 'em skulking about late at night!

• 2 weeks later...
bolero680fb - 2009-01-12 6:52 PM

i own 2 large dogs and they travel with us all the time my answer is if you have a problem camping alongside these furry friends find yourself a campsite that don't except them as i get fed up with non dog owners tiring dedicated dog owners with the same brush.

Well said, we will be entering the MH world this year (I hope) and I feel that our dogs are more intelligent and better behaved than many humans plus, if you have kids and don't have a dog how those kids ever going to get to know about dogs if they can't meet them in a controlled way??

• 1 month later...

all these people have gone mad. stop this, stop that. its just like health and safety and thats gone mad.

as long as the dogs are on a lead and not runing wild i think thats fine.

Our family dog comes camping with us an he is on a 8 Foot lead Hooked up on a cork screw whitch he can rome in and out of the tent unless we take him for a walk.

Who is that hurting? No one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, we take our two pugs all over the place, in france we can take them in to eat with us if we like, same in parts of italy. they are small and always on a lead and people enjoy seeing them and playing with them which they love. We pick up anything they may drop and place in the correct bin etc.

Yes we look after our pugs, But many times I have come across owners who just don,t give any idea to other people, dogs off leads, s--- all over the place, and barking day and night.

But to ban all owners due to the actions of the few is a big no from me.

I have seen far more harmful actions taken by humans, should we ban all of them to ???.

michael

Mel B - 2009-01-05 9:18 PM This is the prerogative of the site owner, if they want to do this then they can, it just means that we won't be going there with our furry beasties.

I agree, vote with your feet (or in this case your vehicle)

I've been reading with interest all the comments on dogs etc. This year we will be entering the world of camping with dogs. Neither of them have camped before. Don't worry we are responsible dog owners and I always carry a pocket full of poop bags. I do think it would be a good idea to have doggy free pitches for those that are not doggy friendly. The only thing that is worrying me is what happens when we have an 'accident' before we reach the doggy walks? Am I supposed to put my 5 stone greyhound under my arm until we reach the designated patch? Wish us luck at easter please.

steph - 2009-03-24 3:17 PM

I've been reading with interest all the comments on dogs etc. This year we will be entering the world of camping with dogs. Neither of them have camped before. Don't worry we are responsible dog owners and I always carry a pocket full of poop bags. I do think it would be a good idea to have doggy free pitches for those that are not doggy friendly. The only thing that is worrying me is what happens when we have an 'accident' before we reach the doggy walks? Am I supposed to put my 5 stone greyhound under my arm until we reach the designated patch? Wish us luck at easter please.

Don't worry about an accident, dogs on leads don't understand where the dog walk is, all you have to do is clear up after your dog whether in the dog walk area or after an accident. It's the accidents being left that anyone - dog owner or not don't like seeing and cause bad feeling.

To Sue who is 90% afraid of dogs but relaxes when they are on the lead, can I offer you and anyone else some advice please? If you are afraid of a dogs and you look at them, you are inviting that dog into your space, which will then in turn intensify your fear of them. By ignoring them and not making eye contact with them, naturally a dog will give you your space. This will increase your confidence at keeping dogs out of your space. For any cynics out there, this is a dog phsycology, this is how dogs work.

I used this technique to help a friends young boys who were petrified of dogs. I sat them on the settee, dogs in the room, and put a drink on the table for the boys. I asked the boys in turn to get up and go across the room to get the drink. As they were scared of the dogs they got up and looked at them, the dogs who were laying down got up and went to him. We tried this exercise again with the boys doing exactly what I said which was go and get your drink but do not look at the dogs. Each lad did this and all the dogs did was raise there head and look at them, as they had not invited the dogs into their space, the dogs did not move. The boys kept doing this with and without the looking at the dogs and each time they looked at them the dogs got up. They learnt they could control their space and since that day have been more confident with dogs.

I hope this tip can help a few people who are genuinely fearful of dogs and bring them some confidence in coping with their fear.

• 3 weeks later...

We've just returned from opur easter break in Derbyshire. First time camping with the dogs only problems had was other peoples dogs not on leads on site. It makes my blood boil. What is it with these folks? We found every time we tried to take our dogs for a walk ( on leads and with muzzles just incase) we attracted the attention of loose dogs. There were a few fights over the weekend on site, none involving our dogs though. Please all u dog owners that camp keep your dogs tethered and close to you. It makes for a much better trip.

And while I'm at it we also spotted lots of used 'poo bags' in the hedges around the campsite. Why bother to pick it up if you are not intending to take it to dispose of properly? Maybe a 'good behaviour' bond is not a bad idea after all.

Thanks for letting me sound off.

• 4 years later...

Some great comments, Thanks tracker for starting on a high which covers most gripes.

My addition is that as a responsible dog owner i am already being asked to cough up an extra 2-5 £ for bringing my dog yet no facilities are provided, how about a few water troughs, a dog waste bin,even a patch of land exclusive for walking for exercising our beloved pet off the lead.

What next an charge if i want to bring my budgie? oh & i see you have a gold fish that will be an extra tenner.

The problem is not the responsible owners but the small minority of idiots & the camp owners/managers who don't provide for the animals they charge for.

How about a refundable deposit against unrully children/adults then we could all have a relaxing time?

Archived