Electric hook ups

Administrator

Electric hook ups  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But why single out one group in particular?  It is the use of electricity that is being paid for, is it not, rather than what form of shelter is used?  Besides, tenters alone are unlikely to use sufficient electricity to make installing meters worthwhile for site operators.  I've no objection to metering in principle, but this suggestion seems to me daft!  Sorry.

Are we likely to see a reduction in site fees as a result, I suspect not. With the exception of the winter period I doubt whether individual consumption is that high.

Puzzled why you have singled out tents as I wonder how many tent campers bother with electrics? In fairness to the cross section of Tenters.Caravanners/Motorhomers that use this site is it possible that in the future that such questions be asked in a general way rather than to sectional interest which is a bit divisive!

David

Guest Tracker

Absolutely - every user should pay the same basic fee - however it is a well known fact that many people abuse the 'inclusive' charge to the extent of wasting energy like they never would at home - particularly in winter.

So maybe it is time to charge all users a basic hook up fee for a daily use up to a preset and reasonable level and a metered charge for usage beyond said level of consumption.

Perhaps that way those of us who don't use it can stop subsidising those who do - and in particular those selfish individuals who abuse it because its effectively free once plugged in.

But the biggest problem is that campsites can only charge for the use of electric if they are an authorised supplier.

That is why (to the best of my knowledge) the CC have electric at all pitches and C&CC charge extra for a 'service pitch' which then includes an electric point and/or a hardstanding.

The cost to become an authorised supplier far outweighs any advantages of metering individual pitches.

Keith.

Guest Tracker

So the greed and waste of the few will continue to be subsidised by the moderate and generally silent majority eh?

Sounds like a typically British fudging of the issue and the government hiding behind yet another badly written dollop of legislation?

AFAIK the legislation was introduced to prevent private landlords ripping off their tenants with exorbitant electricity charges, and makes it illegal to resell electricity at more than cost.

The clubs have interpreted this to mean that they can't make a separate flat rate charge for electricity.

I think that the legislation does allow for this, it is permissible to charge a flat rate which is the calculated average consumption of units using the site.

Of course, this results in a much lower revenue for the site owners, which is why they've gone for the fully inclusive model, thus maintaining their profits at the expense of those who don't need electric hookups.

See: http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Documents1/11782-resaleupdateoct05.pdf

Andy

Andy_C - 2009-12-30 11:59 AM

AFAIK the legislation was introduced to prevent private landlords ripping off their tenants with exorbitant electricity charges, and makes it illegal to resell electricity at more than cost.

The clubs have interpreted this to mean that they can't make a separate flat rate charge for electricity.

I think that the legislation does allow for this, it is permissible to charge a flat rate which is the calculated average consumption of units using the site.

Of course, this results in a much lower revenue for the site owners, which is why they've gone for the fully inclusive model, thus maintaining their profits at the expense of those who don't need electric hookups.

See: http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Documents1/11782-resaleupdateoct05.pdf

Andy

sounds about right - ripped off again -

or go elsewhere

My father in law has a tent and they use electric on site, they've got a little heater, a 2 ring hob, lights etc and use them when they've got hook-up. The only thing preventing them from using more is the size of their car as they can't take all the kit with them! :-D

As for charging on sites - the only 'green' way is for individual charging so that it encourages a reduction in the consumption of electricity, the C&CC can do it in their way, so the CC could do it too but have chosen not to. Its the C&CC who are always getting plaudits for their green credentials and environmental stance, perhaps the CC should take a leaf out of their book for once.

I suspect that someone in a tent wouldn't use as much electric as someone we know of,

they were on a cl site & they had a tumble dryer in the back of their Dodge pick up, they'd plugged it into a spare socket on the bollard

• 4 weeks later...

We think metering electric on sites is a very fair way of charging. We were on a site in Nov very wet cold 5 night we were on a meter and used a fraction under £10 of electric,( against 5 nights at the usual charge of £3.50 ) makes metering a better deal.

We were on a site over Christmas and the People in a Caravan on the next pitch would switch a heater on in the awning at 4.0pm and switch it off sometime after 11pm, whilst having spent that time sitting in the Caravan. I doubt if we used a tenners worth over that period.

Bring on the Meters.

David

Archived