Tents and pitches

Administrator

Tents and pitches  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Tracker

Yes - and so should big caravans with big awnings and big windbreaks and big towcars!

When you consider the space and site resources used by a family in a large tent or caravan who stay on a site for a week when compared to the space and resources used by a motorhome with two people who arrive in the evening and leave in the morning it becomes obvious that motorhomes are being overcharged for the space and resources that they use - either that or the larger longer stayer units are being under charged.

So either charge 'em more or better still - give us a DISCOUNT!

No!

The majority of the sites we've visited have defined pitches. (Those that haven't, have tended to have a large area with a "pitch where you want" attitude). If it's a defined pitch, why should I pay any more or less? I've paid for the pitch. What I put on it is my choice... It really makes no difference at a pitch level, whether I have the smallest two man tent, or my "large family" Bear Lake 6, with side extension of course ;-)

You could take the argument further? Does that mean if I turn up in a Ford Ka, I can have a discount compared to the driver of a Volvo estate? I'm taking up less space after all... (Granted I don't have a Ford Ka, I'd have no hope of getting the BL in the boot (lol)).

Another argument, is I've already paid extra anyway... Sites are few and far between that charge only for the pitch... The majority charge for a pitch and two adults. Families are then charged extra per child.. And dog owners also have an increased bill to pay for their stay...

I have deduced that large family tents are used by families... (not necessarily large - there are only three of us - but we like our space)...

But we nearly always get charged extra for the little one. Without her, then we'd have a smaller tent.

Larger tents are also becoming the norm. Take a look at any display, Yeomanns, Go Outdoors etc. Not saying this is right, but it certainly is the current trend. Sites are going to have to change there pitch sizes to accomodate. It is well reported that camping sites in the UK have done pretty well this year, so there takings should be up as camping becomes more popular with the masses. If they have to lose a few pitches due to re-sizing the ones they've got, I'm afraid that's just a case of swings and roundabouts.

Rant over ;-)

ADL

I voted maybe because if you are charged for each person from say about 3yr old then you are already paying masses more than the basic charge also We feel hard doneby being in a little VW and have to pay the same as a 20ft caravan/car/awning etc. I suppose the same can be said for electric, we have a kettle + TV others have showers, freezers etc, yet we all pay the same!

I can see from all sides as our children get clobbered on site charges because of having children.

The fairest fees I've seen is 8-10 berths are charged for 2 pitches as are extra axles, i.e. double on caravans + triple on Motorhomes.

And by the way let's just keep clearing up after our children + pets or size won't matter anymore because they will not let us stay anyway and that is a bigger worry. JMG

• 1 month later...

Archived