davidmac

Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

davidmac last won the day on March 20

davidmac had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

davidmac's Achievements

Rising Star

Rising Star (9/14)

• Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done

Recent Badges

1. Hi, it’s not just motorhome insurance that rises by large amounts. November 2022 I paid £191 to insure my Yamaha Tracer, the 2023 renewal quote was £758. Looked around and finished up paying £198. Sometimes I think some companies don’t want your custom. Regards David
  2. Hi, last year I paid £490 to Comfort this years quote was £734. Looked around and finished up paying Scenic £527. European breakdown cover included in all of these prices. Comfort put the price increase down to Aviva. Regards David
  3. Hi, you can tap into mains water and have unlimited cold water but the amount of hot water you have sets the amount of time you can spend in the shower, yes? Regards David
  4. Hi, looks like you have done a good job! It looks like you are an expert so if I have a similar problem I’ll give you a visit 😄 Regards David
  5. Hi, it would be interesting to find out the exact cause of the engine failure, wrong oil, incorrect oil level or whatever but the owner has drawn a line and moved on . Time for us to do the same. Regards David
  6. Hi, with so little detail it is guesswork as to the cause of the failure. If the motorhome had a service and cambelt renewal then set off on its journey through France it had probably clocked up less than 1000 miles with the new oil. For the oil to be the cause of the failure after such a short mileage it would have had to be way way way off spec. Metal in the sump would indicate main or big end bearing failure. Incorrect oil levels could cause this, too little oil would cause a low pressure but would trigger a warning light, too much oil in the sump puts excessive load on crankshaft and conrods and can cause bearing damage. My Mercedes has a high oil level warning, don’t know about Fiat’s. Another possibility is if the motorhome had gone through a number of regens on the dpf the oil could become contaminated with unburnt fuel oil. That’s my best thoughts. Regards David
  7. Hi, you say you need to repair some rot in your m/h , I assume there’s a leak somewhere. Do you know where the leak is, roof or walls? Might need to keep an eye out on my m/h Regards David
  8. Hi, I didn’t have to take the bed apart, just take out the two bolts to get enough length to fit the strut. It was a year ago so memory fades but I think if the two bolts and the strut on each side are removed the bed could be removed . It is heavy and awkward so I think it’s at least a two man job. You could always pm me your phone number and we could talk about it Regards David
  9. Hi, I think I have the same bed in my 966. Last year I had to replace one of the gas struts and to get the new one in had to drop the bed down. If I remember correctly the pivot bolt was removed and also one other bolt then the strut was detached. EXTREME care is needed around the strut, if it is under any pressure when released it can be lethal. I had to disassemble the bed to get the new strut on as it needed to be slightly compressed to get on without taking the bed apart Regards David TAKE GREAT CARE !!!!!
  10. Hi, seems to be the practice nowadays, a short video when my car was serviced by an independent garage and half a dozen photos of work carried out when my motorbike was serviced Regards David
  11. Hi I think engine access is more difficult on an A class especially with the north south layout of a Mercedes. If you could train up an octopus it could probably replace the 642 turbo without removing the gearbox but it would need to be exceptionally strong as it needed a three foot breaker bar to undo the three bolts holding the turbo on. The 642 has a 12lt sump capacity and to fill the engine you need either a three foot hose and a funnel or use a one liter bottle twelve times, impossible to get a five liter container anywhere near the filler. Access to the cooling system top up is also quite limited Regards David
  12. Hi needed a replacement turbocharger on my A class Rapido v6 merc . Because of where the turbo is,at the rear of the v , the gearbox had to come out so quite a hefty labour bill. The 642 was fitted in saloon cars, apparently take the bonnet off , same jobs an easy one. Regards David
  13. Hi, unlike Brian I didn’t find keeping my C1 much of a faff. I got the Boots optician to sign my D4 when I had my free eyesight test, had a medical done by D4Doctors at a cost of £55 and 90 minutes of my time including driving to Milton Keynes and back. Having a phg is a saving of approximately £250 over three years as opposed to a plg so why downplate. In my view one is either fit to drive or not, be the vehicle under or over 3.5t the result of having an accident is the same whatever the plated weight is if it is the same vehicle. Regards David
  14. Hi, I drove through Rouen twice at the beginning of July on route from Dieppe to LeMans and back. Just before midnight on the way down and about eight in the evening on the way back. I was concentrating on my satnav and the traffic but can’t remember seeing any critair signage. regards David
  15. Hi , my motorhome is based on a Mercedes Benz and the dashboard readout is lt per 100km. Google will give me a conversion if I’m bothered. If it’s not too hilly or windy not too much of a hurry I can just about get 400miles out of the 70lt fuel tank. Regards David