Rising Star (9/14)

• First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later

Recent Badges

1. Lucky it didn't, burn the whole garage down
  2. One things for sure motorhomers wanting to overwinter in Spain will not be on anyones radar. Good morning, I read yesterday that there are 50000 motorhomers in the Iberian peninsula. You have to ask yourself how long will the Spanish tolerate this. \a post lower down reports on the portuguese situation
  3. Sorry, can't quite follow all of the above, but it seems there may be a misunderstanding. The UK has now officially left the EU, as of 31 Jan 2020. During the rest of 2020 (and beyond if the UK government agrees to an extension to the negotiations on the new relationship between UK and EU) we are in an agreed transition period which, for so long as the negotiations continue, allows us, as individuals, to continue benefitting from the freedom of movement rights we had as EU members. But, as soon as those negotiations conclude, at whatever date, with or without agreement, we become, in terms of visiting the EU, third country nationals, and so subject to the same requirements as the rest of the world. The only exception would be if special visiting rights were included in the negotiated future relationship agreement. Third countries fall into two groups, those requiring visas, and those not requiring visas but instead requiring a visa waiver that currently costs €7 and lasts for three years. The EU has already placed the UK in the latter group - but this only becomes relevant after the transition period has ended. It has no relevance to travel during transition. As to how you would know, it will be because once transition ends our passports will be date stamped when we enter the EU/Schengen area, and again when we leave that area. From the date of the entry stamp you will be allowed to spend a maximum of 90 days in the EU/Schengen zone within 180 days from that date. If, when you come to leave, you have exceeded the 90 days limit (verifiable from the date stamps), whether in one trip or over several, you will be subject to penalties, the severity of which vary according to the duration of the overstay, but which include substantial fines or even banning. At some point in 2021 the border controls will pass to a computer based system, ETIAS, that will record your entries and exits and will automatically flag up your passport if you exceed your entitlement. Staying within the 90 days limit, and calculating how that fits into the 180 days "window" is our individual responsibility, as it is for all other third country visitors. It will have nothing to do whatever with what camp-site owners might want, or wish for. If you overstay you will cop it, whatever any camp-site owner may tell you. I'm sorry if I've got the wrong end of your stick, but hope this clarifies the present situation a bit. Of course, things may change as time passes. Good afternoon, After reading what you have written Brian the EU begins to look more like a soviet tyranny and I am glad we are not art of it, even if it means We cannot go to the Eu as and when we want but there is always other places in the world. It would not be good for all the French motorhome manufacturers if they could not sell their vehicles because of the displeasure they have inflicted on us and what about the 12 to 20 million euros that come with the fines I suppose they would have to sacrifice that too.
  4. Good morning, If I did stay more than the 90 days how would I know that they would not want me to stay longer? They might want me and Mrs goldi to stay and keep spending money on their campsites etc. One campsite owner told meat a campsite in the Dordogne that without the Dutch and Brits going early and late season they would go bust, so unless we are obliged to stay longer it will be detrimental to the French tourist industry. The French know more than a thing or two about extracting money from the gullible brits. Anyway mr Goldi and I are booked again for France for June. Of course I could understand their displeasure at the boondockers.