Alanb

Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Alanb last won the day on March 3

Alanb had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Alanb's Achievements

Mentor

Mentor (12/14)

• Reacting Well Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare

Recent Badges

1. The fact that the question has been asked, suggests that the OP's DIY skills may be limited. While batteries may appear to be innocuos, they can store a large amount of energy. The habitation battery fuse must be relocated to a position close to the battery, and the existing cabling extended, or prefferably replaced, with suitably sized cables. Given that a lithium habitation battery is proposed, I would suggest 16 sq mm, as a minimum. With consideration being given to 25 sq mm. Changing to a lithium battery is not a simple switch, if full benefits are to be obtained. The existing mains charger may not have a lithium profile, and to gain maximum charging rate from, and to protect the alternator, a B2B charger should be fitted. If the maximum recharge rate is required, then an alternator with a higher output rating may be required. In this context I have seen mention that alternators are rated at peak current, and not continuous current, which is what a lithium battery could draw.
  2. No, I confirm B2B, which is a 20A rated CTEK, and was fitted some years ago, when there were fewer alternatives available. The 20A rating matches the recommended C/10 charging rate for 2x100Ah FLA batteries. (The fridge 12V supply is diverted so as not to draw power via the B2B.) The purchase of an inexpensive endoscope is on my bucket list. Unfortunately until recently there was no local Lidl, and the centre aisle of Aldi is becoming less interesting. Alan
  3. When I wanted to check the rating of the alternator on my 2.8jtd, I found the alternator label difficult to read. I took a photo and enlarged the image. The rating of the OEM alternator on my 2.8jtd is 90A. As posted by @John52 above, more recent models than my x244 have higher rated alternators. If I was to fit a lithium battery, and take advantage of the faster recharge times offered by lithium batteries, I would also have to replace the allternator, and the B2B, which being an older version, does not have a lithium setting. Mounting a larger B2B, in the confines of my PVC, would require some igenuity. Alan
  4. In a word yes. Perhaps the most graphic illustration was the complete collapse of a newly constructed cooling tower at Ferrybridge "C" power station in UK. Two staggered rows of cooling towers and wind came through a gap to reach one of the towers. It may have set up a wine glass type of oscillation as well. The tower collapsed, mainly within itself. Result a massive programme to thicken walls of similar towers. Alan
  5. Yes David, My PVC has that configuration. However I did choose Banner because they could be topped up, so can't complain except to mention that they were rather thirsty. The ABS dual pupose battery that I linked to previously is sealed, and has the correct terminal orientation. @johnlcPlease not that I made a typographical error in my previous post regarding ABS batteries. Their Advanced XD85 is only 257mm long, and not 275mm as previously posted. Also their height is quoted at 220mm, which could be too high. I remember carefully checking the clearance over my old Banners by using selected timber scraps to fill the gap, and then carefully measuring them. Alan
  6. Johnlc, When I needed to replace my two Banner 955/51 batteries last year, I looked at what I could squeeze under the front seats with minimal modification. The limiting factor was 306mm absolute maximum length. I have used ABS supplied batteries as starter batteries for my lawn tractor over several years without any problems. ABS were able to supply a suitable dual purpose battery with increased capacity, and a CCA of 1000A which would be a condideration if the battery was to be used for jump starting. A contender was an Exide ER450. I eventually decided on the ABS labelled battery. Here is a link to a similar ABS 85Ahr battery, but with a 275 x 157 footprint, it is slightly larger than your posted requirements. Alan
  7. That is the explanation that I am coming to accept. My information has been collected when answering previous queries, and these naturally tend to be for older vehicles. The logical approach for @Barneis that suggested by @Robinhood. Alan
  8. I have followed the path suggested above by Labby, and I have experienced no difficulty in creating a link. Link here The article does suggest that Sargent PSUs in general have an integral split charge relay. This does not agree with my inspection of diagrams available to me, where the split charge and fridge relays are shown external to the PSU. Further I remember being involved with several similar threads, where separately mounted relays where photographed. I am puzzled by this. Alan
  9. Labby, If you have researched and found this, why not post a link. I spent some time this morning, trying to find a diagram. Alan
  10. This seems to suggest that there is a problem with the EM40. I suspect that a replacement harness is a fix rather than a cure, Alan
  11. I have have diagrams for various older Sargent systems but have been unable to find a diagram for the EC500. Earlier systems used a split charge relay external to the Sargent unit. As split charge relays are gradually being replaced by B2B (Battery to Battery) chargers, it seems unlikely that Sargent would start to fit an integral relay. This leads me to the following conclusion. Either there is an external split charge relay, perhaps added under the bonnet, or a B2B has been installed and a split charge relay has not been fitted. Without access to a wiring diagram, it is difficult to work out what other effects the EN80 failure may have had on the system. Alan When I first mentioned the EM40, I did not know that Barne's vehicle was fitted with one , or that he had been driving across France when the problem was noticed. I am aware of a recent EM40 failure in similar circumstances. Previously there have been several reported failures on other forums. This does seem to suggest a design problem.
  12. Hi Barne, I hold some old information relating to the x250 converter's socket. Pin 2 of the 15way connector is the D+ output, and is active low i.e, connects to earth when alternator is working. From what I have read there may be a Sargent relay box fitted somewhere under the seat. This box among other functions will either convert the signal to active high, or may even contain the split charge relay. It would make sense for the split charge relay to be in that area, as a power feed from the starter battery is also available at the B pillar. (Check for presence of two pole heavy duty connector.) The split charge relay is provided by the converter, while the relays at the B pillar are fitted as an option by Fiat. Also the fuses in that area do not include one for the D+ output. I am wondering whether your vehicle is too old to be fitted with the Sargent EM40 relay module? I have become aware that there are several reported failures in recent months due to connectors overheating. I am speculating that the problems are more likely to occur on long drives. This would be due to the high current taken by large fridges running on 12V while driving. - Something to be aware of. If you do have a similar problem, consider the alternative unit made by Apuljack. I am sorry that I am not able to attach more details of the converters socket, because this forum does not accept pdf, and most of my document library is pdf. I would need your email via PM to attach documents. I hope that the above helps you to find the fault. Please report what you discover. Alan
  13. The word "Merry" infers a state of alcohol induced intoxication. Alcohol is a poison, and I am not into recommending the inake of poison as a recreation. I will wish everyone a Happy New Year. Alan
  14. Arthur, I hope that you will not take offence, but while relays can fail, I tend to be sceptical when the are suspected. More frequently it is the connections to the relay that are the problem. In this case I suspect a high resistance at the connector. Yes contacts can be burnt, but usually when breaking the supply to inductive loads is involved. This is not the case with split charge relay. It will obviously carry some current when operating, but on being released by the simulated D+ going low, there should be minimal current flowing, as both batteries will have similar voltages. Alan
  15. That's more like what I would expect, but judging from the drop in B1 voltage after the "click", it seems as though B2 was receiving a respectable charging current. The readouts on the PC200 can be calibrated to match meter readings, but this is best done when B2 is fully charged after a journey. B1 has 0.2V, and B2 has 0.1V increments. If you do not have a CBE system manual, giving procedure for the above adjustments and others, I could supply a downloaded copy. Alan