derek500

Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

derek500 last won the day on September 8 2023

derek500 had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

derek500's Achievements

Mentor

Mentor (12/14)

• Dedicated Rare
  • Conversation Starter
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare

Recent Badges

1. https://www.gov.uk/clean-air-zones is the Government site. You can check your vehicle's status for all the UK zones in one place, but as Derek says it doesn't include London.
  2. I would do what the French do and not bother with them!! Just come back from Spain and the only MH's on our campsite with them were German, Dutch, Belgian and a few Brits. And many of those were on typical coach builds under 3.5t.
  3. We always leave home fully loaded unless on a rare occasion our first stop is a campsite. We're off to Spain on Saturday 13th and won't arrive at our final destination for three days. Not worth risking, especially in the winter.
  4. WiFi calling on my Samsung S20 FE phone didn't work with Lebara when I joined in August (it did with Sky). I messaged them and within a couple of weeks it was enabled. I just do the basic £5 a month and switch to a high data plan when going abroad.
  5. You now get an hour's free WiFi on Brittany Ferries and it works in the cabins, too. Luckily it's per device not passenger. I take my current mobile, and an old one along with two tablets and a laptop. So I'm covered for a six hour crossing. You can usually get land based 4g from around 10 miles from the coast. So when using Portmouth you can pick it up from the Isle of Wight for a good time before docking.
  6. Changed a fuse in the engine compartment (left hand cigar lighter socket had blown) and noticed a high pitch whistle. Engine off and van locked. Today I tried to start engine and noticed the orange warning light with the car/padlock symbol was on. Engine turned over, didn't start and the Sargent control panel started bleeping. New cab battery last year (the third since van bought new in 2014) as previous problems starting/going flat. Is this whistle indicative of an ongoing issue, that's messing up the cab battery?
  7. I use Parkopedia.com, as it specifies any height restrictions. It covers 90 countries.
  8. I agree. As part of my unofficial market research in September looking for Angles Morts stickers on French Motorhomes - as rare as hens' teeth, the same applied to Crit'Air stickers. French arrogance?
  9. Thanks for that. I've ordered a couple of those hinges for £7 on Ebay. The old ones look buggers to remove!!
  10. Both the two piece sliding arms on our side door blinds have broken. Just joined them with duct tape and open and close them carefully. I expect it will cost a small fortune to get spare parts.
  11. Having been touring here the last few weeks, I've come to the conclusion that very few French motorhomes have Angles Morts stickers, even the big Carthagos. It seems to be most popular among British and German vans. Even the German 6m panel (just like ours) in the pitch next door has them!
  12. Camping La Plage, Meyronne in the Dordogne. "In a desire for eco-responsibility, we want to protect a large part of the campsite from waves caused by wifi. This is why you can benefit from a WiFi connection only at reception and on certain locations".
  13. We, not usual for us, filled up in Frome at ASDA on Saturday before travelling to Portsmouth for our ferry. 150.7p per litre and a 3% Santander cashback that brings it down to 146.18p. Most of the stations we passed on route in France were north of 1.83€, but came across an unmanned one in a village called Saint-Branchs south of Tours at 1.74€ (£1.499, £1.484 with Chase 1% cashback). So at the moment fill up in UK the cheapest you can find, nearest your leaving port.
  14. We've just booked our January/February Portsmouth-Caen crossing using our Club Voyage discount (£204 return, free cabin each way). Our Club Voyage membership expires end of October. Friends want to come with us, so we gave them the code, but the website won't let them use it after October. This must be a common issue. I've tried to contact BF to see if we can buy next year's membership in advance, but hanging on the phone for two one hour sessions. Anyone else had this 'problem'?
  15. We went Finnlines in 2019 from Travemünde to Malmo. About £100 each way which included two on board meals on the nine hour crossing. Mainly freight, and van was parked on the same deck as public area and free EHU. Overnighted night before in stellplatz at IKEA in Lubeck (great, walkable city, especially if keen on marzipan!!).