Rising Star

Rising Star (9/14)

• Reacting Well Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter

Recent Badges

1. If I had been the Warden, I would have given a choice to them. Pay for two pitches or vacate one of them. Mind you, would I really want them as neighbours?
  2. An interesting topic which covers a number of issues. I am of the view that an organisation's executive must be allowed to manage it and, if they are not doing so to the approval of its stakeholders (I am being very careful not to use the 'business' or 'shareholder' words!), they should be removed. But they cannot be subjected to constant micromanagement so choices such as sponsorship etc must be delegated to them. They can be held to account by some form of non-executive oversight and, ultimately, by its stakeholders at an AGM. I'm not so sure about whether a professional marketing person would view sponsorship of a TV Leisure Vehicle Show as more beneficial than something only indirectly related to caravans/motorhomes. They might argue that the majority of viewers of a TV Leisure Vehicle Show are already in the hobby so are not the target audience. However, viewers of a motorsport show might be a better target audience as they could be persuaded towards a leisure vehicle to use on visits to circuits (as I do for example). The choice of where to advertise or sponsor will be informed by multiple data including demographics, size of audience, propensity to purchase and much more. Just an alternative view.
  3. Each to their own view. But note that I did not say CAMC was there to make profits.
  4. I have to say that I don't feel overexercised by this. The CAMC is a business and it must do what it sees fit to be a successful business where profits are not distributed but used within the business. If members, as shareholders, have issues, they can raise them at AGMs and refuse to vote for the Directors. In the meantime, the Directors must be allowed to get on with managing it.
  5. A question at the last AGM of CAMC (I know.... why was I spending valuable time reading them!) was on the subject of ACRs and the response was 'The Club has always operated under the ethos that all members are equal and the Club should work for the benefit of the membership as a whole not just the individual member. The Club doesn't provide an age-related price reduction as we believe the fairest approach is to provide the best price possible for all campsites, available to be booked by all members.' Whether or not they do provide the 'best price possible' is debatable but I kinda respect their logic on ACRs.
  6. OK. They are surcharged for non-members. The prices are still the same whether by your terminology or mine.
  7. The two things are for different purposes. S4S is simply a (very good) listing of sites whereas CAMC own and operate a large number of very good, clean, well laid out sites which are discounted for members.
  8. I once asked my insurance company how much less it would be if my wife was not a named driver but I was told it would actually cost more. Their reasoning was that it would be a good 'backstop'. So, insurance companies do differ and, as usual, it pays to read the policy. But the 'repatriation' issue trumps that and it might be time to drop her as she never drives.
  9. Manufacturers' warranties are normally transferable to new owners but you would really need to see what the actual warranty stipulates. There is also normally a notification process that needs to be undertaken when you purchase the vehicle. Did your dealer/vendor do this?
  10. To be fair, Brittany Ferries always make announcements warning people to switch roaming off.
  11. I also adopt Brian's method but my Banksman/Wife has the opposite tendency to Derek's ie she puts her hand up tentatively before the end. By the time she has changed her mind, I have stopped too early!
  12. The 'Packaged Account' cover from your bank is usually very good but, by the time you add on the Age and Pre-existing Medical extensions, they are very often not good value. Comparison sites will get you a number of quotes with the advantage that you can also quickly compare Single Trip versus Annual Policies.
  13. You really just have to shop around for insurance. Underwriting is a black art rather than a science and it can sometimes seem counter intuitive. For example, it would be reasonable for me to assume that I am low risk with a 40 year claim free record but an underwriter might take a different view on risk as the law of averages suggests that I am overdue a claim and, therefore, high risk.
  14. Remind me never to get this YouTube guy to inspect my motorhome. A competent fitter would have shown how to fix the issue rather than disrespecting his customer, disrespecting YouTube users (despite using YouTube himself!), coming across as arrogant and leaving his customer with the problem.