Enthusiast

Enthusiast (6/14)

• First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later

Recent Badges

1. We have recently returned to Oz from Denmark via Qatar. My Wife picked up a nasty flu and I was worried about Corona so rang the healthline. They asked her a bunch of questions and said if she developed breathing difficulties to go to Emergency. She recovered but it took 2 weeks and the worse flu she has ever had, I got some of the symtoms but was discounted by my Wife as man flu :-D When departing Qatar they make everyone put 3 fingers on a fingerprint scanner so you can imagine the nasties picked up there :$
  2. I asked the Danish Embassy about a long stay visa when I was travelling on an Aussie passport. They said visa's were only available to residents of countries that did not qualify for the 90 day visa free travel. I was also told that longer stay visa's were sometimes granted for business purposes. I had problems leaving Denmark 2 years ago on an Aussie passport as total stay in EU was 4 months. They questioned me and I explained that I had only spent 1 day in Denmark and the bulk of the trip was in Spain and Portugal in our campervan. I offered to show receipts etc and phone roaming records but the immigration official was not interested and called the Police for advice. The Police told the official to release me with a warning and that I must show an itinerary of intended travel in the future *-) Australia has a bilateral agreement with Denmark so you can spend a 90 days in another Schenghen country and a further 90 days in Denmark. The problem is you really need to arrive in the other Schenghen country first to avoid problems when departing.
  3. We did enquire about whether I could get Swedish Citizenship/Passport but they said we had to actually live in Sweden. I guess we could move there and then apply but I have no desires to spend any more winters there :-D I think the easy way around the 90 days for me is to use Aussie passport and bilateral agreements but really need to arrive in another country such as Germany first to avoid the problems of "overstaying" like I had in Denmark a couple of years ago.
  4. Thanks Tony that makes sense. I did marry a Swede but have never lived in Sweden for long enough so do not qualify for residence. Another possibility that I may need to explore is this one. an overriding European legislation that gives you the right to exceed the 90 days in Schengen is ‘European Directive 2004/38/EC’ which states citizens of the Union, and their family members can move and reside freely within the Member States’.
  5. As I spend 4 months in Sweden each year I am wondering if EU members will be able to negotiate bilateral agreements such as the ones already in place for Australians and Kiwi's. My initial thoughts were that these bilateral agreements only exist as they were in place before the EU was formed and that the EU would not allow its members to negotiate new agreements. I came across this link on the Swedish gov website that states the following and now wondering if indeed individual agreements can still be formed between third countries and the EU members? The approved agreement regulates the relationship between the European Union (EU) and the UK during a transition period after the UK has left the EU. The transition period begins when the agreement enters into effect and will continue until 31 December 2020, with a possibility of extension. During this period, the UK will remain in the EU cooperation in a practical sense. This means that British citizens and their close relatives who are third-country nationals largely keep the rights they previously had. They will thereby be able to stay, work and study in Sweden without requiring a residence and work permit. According to the withdrawal agreement, each member state will formulate a procedure that makes it possible for British citizens to keep their rights even after the transition period. It is the Government that decides what Sweden’s procedure will look like. This website will be updated when more information on this is available" https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/About-the-Migration-Agency/Brexit.html?fbclid=IwAR1qKfI8tHbZEvSSMEFjJYRQ9p8VI0oaMoH5ufES0cDpxiGVg86412Wg5xo